main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton A few ideas... Just testing the waters.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rogue_Thunder, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Like the title suggests I'm just putting out some thoughts I've had with regards as to how I can help kickstart activities here, so feel free to share you two cents. Tell me they're stupid, tell me how I can improve it, or if you have any ideas yourself. Feel free to speak up.

Website: I've been considering for awhile changing our hosting/content. I was thinking of switching to some type of blogging software if I were to switch to a new host. For those that aren't up on this kind of stuff, you can look at the Wikipedia article, but I'm not planning on using the software to keep everyone up to date on what I've had for lunch. I was thinking for creating several account for members so that they can make posts on our homepage and add to the content/conversations themselves, helping to keep everyone up-to-date on activities, or planning events.

If money is an issue I don't mind fronting the cost of hosting for the site for a few months, and if the idea catches on we can work something out where members can forward a few bucks to help cover costs, but I keep fairly up on this kind of thing, so I'm sure I can find a reasonable, if not free, solution. Ideally, the frontend would also allow members to upload pictures, or even video from events themselves, instead of having to email the files to one person, so that when they have time they can upload it.

Events: I was thinking of going back to having "meetings", but maybe only a few times a year, and nothing so formal as a meeting setting unless it's a separate thing to plan a specific events like the meetings we held to plan C3, Toy & Comic show, etc. These would just be highly informal get-togethers where we could just sit around and get up on what our friends are up to, maybe watching a movie, or playing some board games, just like old times. Someone could host these or we could even just invade a Tim Horton's in some centralized location. Working around my work schedule is a bit of a problem because I only even know what times I will have off up to a month or less in advance, but I'll be off in the summer, plus maybe having a more spontaneous "Hey, just having some people over next weekend" will have more success than trying to plan months ahead.

That's pretty much all I have so far. If I think of anything else I'll post it, but for now feel free to let me know what you think.

2. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    some nice things there Bex, while I'm not opposed to a monthly meeting it could be nice to see how we all are once a month before a movie or something, talk Clone Wars and other things.

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Of course, definetly. I didn't mean to imply that the get-togethers every few months would be the only things we'd do. Of course there'd be movies and games nights and Clone Wars nights, but the gatherings would be one of the things we do that's not specifically designed around an event.

4. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Ok sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.