main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA A New Hope to be played at former theater in town

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JarusSarn, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Donnie Johnson from Liferoads church has just informed me that they will be playing Episode 4 at the old East Side Cinema on July 21st...

This sounds like an awesome opportunity to get together, hang out in costume and have fun with other Star Wars fans in Spokane, and who knows, maybe we'll end up with a few new members.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    =P~=P~=P~

Can you cross post this to Everett? PURLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

3. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    SWEEEET!!!!!!!

Now this sounds like a VERY cool event!

If I'm in town, count me in!!!

I'll even make a donation to their church! That's how cool I think this event is!

Oh, and if it hasn't already been done, I'll re-Post this for MosEverett.

Does this mean we can be expecting some out-of-town guests?

4. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    FUN!!!!!

*crosses fingers and hopes that the rehersal dinner for her bros wedding is early enough in the evening*

5. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, there's our first bad omen for this event... :rolleyes:

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Now wouldn't that be funny - if things pan out the way they are going the only fan force person there was from out of town?

7. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    :oops:

That... would be bad.

Nat... you're too busy.

Drat... this is turning into bad peotry.....

8. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Well, I intend to go, and I hope to bring the family!

9. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    DO IT!!! The more the merrier, besides, you need to come to more events :D

10. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    More events= more time + more money.

I am working on both tho.

11. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Well. Apparently I have less time than I thought I did. The youth group I help out with is having a prayer meeting at my house on the 21st. I forgot. I am bummed.

But on the plus side my son, Sammy, is off to our church camp this week! It is star wars themed! I wish I could go.

Oh well!

12. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Wicked cool...

it's a shame you won't be there. I'm consitantly suprised at how hard it is to get all you people in one place in one time. Even with a year's advance (in some instances). :p You should all be ashamed of yourselves... [face_shame_on_you]

13. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    (hangs head in shame)
    Ok, now that that's done this sounds like a lot of fun. Now, I just need to find a costume [face_thinking]
    ;)

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    *cough*lobot*cough*

15. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Should I walk around and say, "By your command?" ;)

16. --SwordSaint--

--SwordSaint-- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2001
    Hey, Swordsaint here.

One of my best friends belongs to that church and have been begging my to wear my wookie suit.
    So needless to say I'll be there.
    Swordsaint out.

PS.I still have costumes that may be borrowed.
    Oh yeah that reminds me. Someone still has a pr. of my boots.

PSS. Now for the bad news. My friend told me that while the screen remains,the surround system does not. It's connected to their P.A. system. So not the sound of a regular theater but still cool.

Hey, maybe I can get my buddie to talk them into showing all six in the future.
    Swordsaint out.

17. --SwordSaint--

Aug 29, 2001
    I just read my post... and can I NOT spell or what! And to think I was an English major.

18. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Awesome! Glad to hear we'll be seeing you again, and yeah, I've still got a pair of your boots, I found them while cleaning out my trunk the other day [face_blush] Do you think it'd be cool if Steve wore them again one more time for this? I also have another question for you, but I'll save that for the phone, you can expect a call from me some time this week ;)

19. mightyd4

mightyd4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2004
    The Emperor is still interested in buying that mask from you too!

20. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Hey James, when would be a good time to stop by for costumes?
    Also, all six would be pretty cool. :cool:

21. --SwordSaint--

Aug 29, 2001
    Hey, Swordsaint here.

To answer questions:

Sure, go ahead and borrow the boots,no rush in getting them back. I just brought it up 'cuz I thought of them as I wrote the post. I tend to foget about those things that I lend out.

I went and got that "old man" foam latex mask out of storage after we talked about it, so I have it with me.

The best days for people to catch me at home(to costume shop)are Sun. and Mon.(those are my days off. But I can be contacted anytime to set up a time to stop(or shop) by.

Ooh... secret phone calls... I can't wait!

I talked to my buddie from the church today and he said that they are already planning to show all of the star wars films; though they would like to find a way to cut the burning Anakin scene(it is a church after all.)

Well, I hope that covers everything,
    Swordsaint out.

22. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    I have a big, big, problem with this.

The haphazard mangling/ censoring of a film - or any other work of art- to make it fit the views of a particular group is wrong. Period. The church should either play Episode III as it was intended to be seen or not at all.

This is not me being anti-religious, and no insult is intended to the spiritual beliefs of anyone here or Jame's friend. I had the same problem when I worked at the Fairchild theater and the Powers That Be would occasionally strip our advertising or ask for a movie to be "tweaked" to make it fit their idea of "family viewing" or to placate the tastes of individual generals.

(I do, however, wonder if this church would aslo consider snipping any excessive and/or graphic violence out of The Passion Of The Christ.)

If they really are planning on going through with any self-righteous splicing, I don't think I'll be making it to the theater next week or any other week.[face_shame_on_you]

23. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Honestly Chris, you can't really blame them. More people would fault them for not doing it. If I want to watch a man get chopped to bits and burned alive, I'll do it on my own time and not ask them to forgo their standards. But that's just me.

24. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    Of course I can blame them, John. If somebody purposefully does something, they can be blamed or praised for it. Just like you could blame me for injecting some heated commentary into this thread.

And if I want to watch a movie that's been chopped up by some self-appointed social watchdog who doesn?t know how to edit a film, I'll watch TNT in the privacy of my own home.[face_mischief]

Lucas could have kept paring down and digitally altering the footage in question until he came up with something that satisfied him AND got a PG rating out of the MPAA (Which would have meant bowing to financial blackmail, IMO). Or he could have done what a lot of directors do, which is film alternate scenes for the "edited for time and content" version that plays on airplanes/ broadcast TV/ basic cable to avoid having their story marred by sudden jumps in the plotline and soundtrack.

He chose to run with the PG-13 version. As Director, Producer, Editor, Screenwriter, and Grand High Poo-Bah Of The Star Wars Galaxy it was his choice to make.

Almost everyone on this board wants to produce one fan-film or another. Ask yourselves: do you want to decide what goes into your creation or hand that decision over to someone you've never met?

25. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Honestly, how is this any different from TV altering movies to allow for time or content? They butcher movie after movie, dubbing unacceptable words, clipping racy scenes...

Consider the Church as a TV station that is altering a movie for their viewer's sensibilities. Besides, they will go through 5 movies before they even have to consider this change anyway.

Please, they have their convictions and you have yours Chris. If it bothers you so much, fine, don't come, but let's try to keep the controversy to ourselves. We certainly don't need any more on these boards...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.