main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't know if I'll be getting it anytime soon. I'm not super big on supplementary material, but we'll see. Maybe it'll sate my GoT appetite until WoW. Actually, it'll probably just whet it all the more.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll see what the reviews are like.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm a big fan of supplementary material, so I will probably get this. I'm more looking forward to The World of Ice and Fire, though. I'm always a sucker for a good history book.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm definitely looking forward to it.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I really like supplementary material, but a A Feast of Ice and Fire is higher on my wish list.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Locked other thread, reopened this thread.

I felt dirty locking the old JCC thread and replacing it with this, the old Amph thread, but what the users want, the users get. :p

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it has the most comprehensive and the most current discussion. also the other thread was taking a weird turn.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This thread is subpar.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Slowly (very slowly) working my way through A Feast for Crows. I was quite looking forward to it, what with there being no Caetlyn or Bran chapters to bore me to tears, but no. Martin had to go and throw in the sodding Greyjoys.

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, the entire Iron Islands sections could have been condensed down to one chapter. The only important thing that occurs is that Euron becomes the king of the Ironmen. Everything else is superfluous.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I liked the Iron Islands chapters (though to be fair, it's hard to think of ASOIAF chapters that I don't like, aside from Dany in Meereen). They're a bunch of jerks, but interesting nonetheless. And there's some interesting theories about the Bones of Old Nagga- i.e. a petrified weirwood grove.

12. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Can't think of any chapters that I didn't really like. Surely, some characters' POWs are full of mean things, but hey it's who they are. The ones that I've least enjoyed are Sansa and Theon.

Haha, that's excellent. I completely agree on the Jaime curve. ;) As pretty much everyone I've talked to about him. It's only Jon that I've really grown to like more and more as the series progressed (worried :( ).

Out of pure ignorance for such publications, where would one get the said supplementary material? Aside from the Hedge Knight, I mean.
    EDIT: no matter, Wiki of Ice and Fire (derived works) was helpful. If there's anything else, though...

Watch the language.

13. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I'm actually enjoying Sansa's chapters in a FOC, but I think that's because I love Littlefinger. Jaime and Tyrion are perhaps the characters with the most consistently interesting chapters so far.

14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Sansa finally starts growing up, making her chapters more enjoyable. She has to interact with more adults, and is forced to realize that her idealistic thoughts were truly just fantasy.

Jaime & Tyrion (& Arya) are definitely among my top favourite chapters (and characters). Though Arya's chapters become less interesting over time.

15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Picked up the paperback collection in Amazon's Black Friday deals for £18.99. Bargain.

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  16. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I had a dream about the Greyjoys and it was really annoying and boring. :p

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm on the second book right now. I'm liking the series, but Martin has the annoying habit of having pages long descriptions of what people are eating at the moment. I've been told by a friend that these descriptions are important later on in the series. I don't know if I should have burst out laughing or not.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He loves minutiae of clothes and food. It's pretty annoying.

Darth Guy likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He is a good world builder there is no doubt about that, but...SERIOUSLY....ENOUGH WITH THE DAMNED FOOD ALREADY.

Darth Guy likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

...and lemon cakes.

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Sansa's favorite!

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I found his overuse of certain words and phrases-- mostly "medieval-sounding"-- just as annoying. "Maidenhead," "a man/woman grown," "break his fast," and "would that it were," among others I have purged from my brain at the moment.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Back in my lurking days didn't this Zas or Nevermind fellow have a Game of Thrones bashing thread? I thought that was pretty darned funny.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Zaz. Zas was a very different poster. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I've always enjoyed Martin's food and clothes descriptions. It's part of the charm of living inside another world or reality: you get to taste the food, enjoy the sensory pleasures of stuff that doesn't really exist. If you don't like it, you can skim through it... as I did with most of Dany's chapters in the second book, till my wife convinced me it was important stuff, and I went back and re-read them. Taken out of context of my impatience to get back to the other characters, I found myself getting into the Dany stuff. It's probably like that with the food and clothes: if you weren't so impatient to find out what happens, you'd actually enjoy the lengthy description.

Amon_Amarth likes this.