main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Reading a Clash of Kings right now, just got to learn more about Ser Jorah Mormont.

He's so cool.

BEAR ISLAND!? He was born on BEAR ISLAND? WITH BEARS?

He better stay alive.

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Just finished reading Book 4 and eagerly awaiting the next book. Two (?) more weeks is too long.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Count yourself lucky you only have to wait 2 weeks. Some of us have been waiting for 6 years.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Technically we've been waiting 10 for any news of Dany or Jon.

Oh and the publishers have corrected their website and so have the booksellers...it'll be arriving here the same day as it does for everyone else. :p

5. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Lucky!? I've been a Dark Tower fan since 1987. It took until 2003 for Stephen King to finally reach the end of the gunslinger's quest and King almost died before he got there! Try waiting an average of 6-8 years between books, and being forced to read everything else for hidden clues and details of the Dark Tower universe while you wait. :D

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I am getting dangerously (and depressingly) close to the Red Wedding in my ASOS re-read. I am not looking forward to it.

Amazing.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    'twas the only chapter I skipped in my re-read.

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I skip to Joffrey and Tywin's comeuppances immediately afterward to make myself feel better.

Reading about the aftermath (Robbwind, treatment of Catelyn) is even more depressing.

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Ten days. I walked over to the bookstore and reserved my copy, then bought book 2 of the Hunger Games to tide me over until the 12th.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    'twas the only chapter I skipped in my re-read.

I thought about skipping it, but I read it. I remember that chapter being a lot longer the first time.

Amazing.

11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    There's a huge lead-up to it, with the constant switching back-and-forth between Arya's and Catelyn's POVs.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
  13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows. Put me in the minority who loves the novel (so far). A novel devoted to the Lannisters followed by one devoted to Jon, Dany, and Tyrion? =D=

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Interestingly enough, it was the last chapter that Martin wrote for the book because it was difficult for him to kill off those characters.

15. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I have to admit I was so angry after the events of the Red Wedding. Actually, I think each major "death" from Ned Stark's to the apparent murder of his children just really pissed me off.

16. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Okay so nearly done with Clash of Kings.

Renly's death was surprising to me. Have no idea how they're going to film both Melisandre birthing that weird shadow thing underneath Storm's End or Danaerys' vision quest....thing.

Theon taking over Winterfell was rather shocking, but can he hold it?

Probably finishing it tomorrow then on to Storm of Swords!

17. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Honestly, for the sake of your enjoyment of ASOS and AFFC, I hope you've not been reading this thread.

18. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I was just going to suggest the same thing...

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, on this page at least, there are references to the Red Wedding. But just that name by itself means nothing, so he'll be okay. But stay away until you're caught up!

20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    All I know is the name Red Wedding and loads of people die...don't know who. And no, I haven't been reading this thread, just posting.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We should ban anyone who started reading since the show came out from sullying this thread with their n00bness. :p

AFFC gets better each re-read, just because there's so much going on. Personally, I think that Ser Loras is fine. The news reaches Cersei from Lady Merryweather mostly, and nobody else seems to have much of an update on the Knight of Flower's suffering (except Qyburn, who IMO is like Littlefinger - a player).

Be keen to hear what happens in retaliation for the Darkstar maiming Myrcella. Ser Arthur, aka the Sword of the Morning, sounds awesome by all accounts. Darkstar, in contrast, fails at killing little girls.

ES

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    But he is of the night.

I hate Darkstar.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    At least Arys Oaktard had some vaguely defined sense of nobility. Dorkstar is just terrible.

ES

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I get the vague impression that Balon Swann is actually competent, so if he could run into Darkstar and cut him into bloody pieces that would be outstanding. Or Areo Hotah, as boring as he is.

I wonder if we'll return to King's Landing in ADWD, I hope to see the entrance of FrankenGregor.

25. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Man, I had better go and reread all the books before tackling ADWD. It's been so long since AFFC that I'm forgetting stuff. I'm sitting here shaking my head because I can't remember some of the characters you are mentioning, and some of the events are hazy too.

Shame on me. Must... reread...

Best series EVER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.