main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I would prefer it if you called him Dorkstar.

ES

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    My personal nickname for him is '******* emo'.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm. So I got a kindle. Makes reading much easier now. Stupid tiny phone screen. :p

I still probably won't start ADWD when it comes out though, unless I just get really impatient. :p

4. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    If only someone would invent a vehicle for the written word that doesn't involve screens at all!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like it would be more handy to have a medium that exists where ever you are and maintains all your notes and bookmarks but doesn't take up physical space. Oh, wait.

6. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    You must be rich.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So I just started A Sword of Storms...I'm really pissed at Catelyn, why the hell would she let Jaime go? There's really no way I could rationalize that. They just spent the last book detailing exactly why she shouldn't take the trade. I don't understand.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It was very clear at the end of ACOK. She thought Bran and Rickon were dead, so she was clinging to her last desperate hope to get her other children back.

9. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    But surely with Jaime on the field of battle the odds are now completely in the Lannister's favor. They stated in ACOK that Jaime's honor isn't worth **** so why would she trust that they even return Sansa and Arya(even thought they don't have her). They would then hold all the cards. They don't even have to send Sansa back. Just get a hold of Jaime, imprison Brienne and then they have their captive and still have Sansa. And with the Kingslayer possibly on the field of battle, Robb is now in even more danger.

Even for a grieving mother it's incredibly stupid to me.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just found out about "Mystery Knight." Now I have another thing to read before I start ADWD. But at least that's only 80 pages.

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Because Tyrion swore in open court before many people that he would trade the girls if Jaime was returned. Catelyn doesn't know about his fall from grace and inability to actually carry out his oath.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Jaime's arc in ASOS is one of the most interesting in all of the series. Keep reading.

13. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    To me though, she should know well enough not to trust a Lannister at war. I personally wouldn't trust anyone in the office of the Hand, seeing as the bad luck around that office (everyone dies quick or gets replaced.)

To me, it's OOC for Catelyn to make such a rash decision with so many of her children's lives on the line. Sansa and Arya are safer if she keeps the Kingslayer. Robb is more safe is an experienced knight isn't leading the Lannister lines of battle (his further characterizations discounted, I'm just going on what Catelyn knows).

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The only Lannister seen as a real oathbreaker is Jaime, and he's reviled for it. It's not unreasonable to think that Tyrion's word is bond - remember, 'A Lannister always pays his debts' is known.

And there's not that much bad luck around the Hand's office. Tywin was hand for 20 years, then during the war Aerys went insane and ran through a few. Arryn was hand for 15 years, then Ned got himself killed...no indication that such a thing would happen to Lannister ally Tyrion.

15. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Regardless, it's a turbulent time in King's Landing. The War of Five Kings is raging, and there's a child king on the Iron Throne. Noone expected Joffrey to order Ned's execution, but it happened. I wouldn't bet on any one person occupying any position for any amount of time. And as it happens, Tyrion doesn't.

:p

Sure, Catelyn doesn't know that but it's just generally a stupidly rash decision to make, and on top of that, she then gets mad at Edmure for ordering him to come back.

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Of course she gets mad at Edmure, because him outing it as an escape rather than an exchange ruins the plan.

If you keep reading you'll find that here stupidly rash decisions come back to haunt her anyway...

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And ADWD has shipped. I still have 20% of AFFC to get through, whenever I feel like reading it.

19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I just found out that there is a bookstore up in Santa Rosa that is selling ADWD early.

The question is... do I want to take the four hours round trip to go get it?

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think it would be stupid to do so. There's nothing special about getting it first. And unlike other media, it's not like the few extra days you win by doing this would make a meaningful difference in how quickly you get through the book. I hardly understand the impulse to be "first" to begin with, but even what meager benefits that offers aren't available here.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My goal is to read it slowly, anyway. These books are a joy to read. Why would I rush through it?

22. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, if the latest review from Salon is any indication, you might find it hard to savor, Jello.

I decided I didn't want to waste time and gas going up to Santa Rosa. J-w, for most people with the opportunity like this, I don't think it's necessarily about being "first" and being all "neener-neener, I will finish it before you!" It's more about general impatience and just wanting the book in your hands so you can enjoy it already.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    sssh, I don't want to know anything!

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Finished book 4 (well, technically just started reading the ADWD preview chapter(s?) at the end)...will probably start the new book in the next couple days, then scour the fan sites to pick up on the details I didn't latch onto.

Also, knowing the name "Red Wedding" did take the wtf-ness out of the acutal event for me, but I enjoyed the build up to it anyway. Plus the other weddings that I didn't know about in that time frame were quite enjoyable. The bar was set pretty high with Ned's death, and even though I'm really invested in all the other main characters (save Cersei (LOL at her present situation)), I don't think I'll be burning my Kindle over anything I read from here on out.

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    12 more hours! (well technically 21 until I get the actual book.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.