main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Put it this way, Livi, you're rocking more attacks with higher bonuses than anyone else in the party right now, your AC is also the highest, you have more hitpoints than Ragnar and you've got a Cave Troll's extraordinary attacks, which includes Pounce -- i.e. if you charge, you can make a full attack at the end of that charge, i.e.e. you can hit with all your attacks at once and not just one attack as you normally would. If you can't hit the guy with all that, then really, it's all over. :D Standing off and plinking with spells isn't reeeeally an option since bar one or two backups you're wearing most of your spells.

2. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Okay then, talking tactics in the square tonight!

Saint, William will zoom over to F30 or thereabouts, readying his metamagic rods as he goes. He's then going to use a swift action - using the Lesser Quicken rod to fire off a Quickened Slow, aiming to hit the giants, ogres, Kharn and any hobgobs that are within range, and use an AP to hang onto the Slow spell.

With his standard action he will then use the Chaining rod to set off Ray of Stupidity over as many of them as he can, prioritising the big/stupid ones, using one AP for his Twin Spell feat and another to emulate Sudden Maximise.

Wish me luck guys :p

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Airel="What HE said!" :p

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    So yeah.... discussed with Ktala that Ariel and Z will cut a path to Kharn in the area between A and F, this not only will give Ragnar and Halden breathing room, but also allows me to get to them and heal and frees them to join in on Kharn. It also frees up the other defenders to take out the rest and engage Kharn and his twin too.

How heavy are the hobgoblins?

EDIT: Question: Would I know if the simulacrum can be turned or not since its emulating an undead creature and supposedly weaker than the original? The Death Knight I know cannot be turned because it has too many HD, but the simulacrum has half of Kharn's.

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    On the last, Mitth, it's like a simulacrum, but it may or may not be real. You haven't seen it actually hit anybody; it could be an illusion for all the party knows right now.

The hobgoblins are about human weight, so say, I dunno, hundred and fifty pounds or so.

Also, before we start the charge, a couple of quick updates on how things went. I'll put out a map soon to reflect what's happening, but in summary:

(1) William used Slow. It's Super Effective The four ogres on the field are all slowed. Giant 1 was also slowed. Giant 2 was not slowed. Kharn was not affected. There's also about three hobgoblins who were affected as well. Out of the casting of Ray of Stupidity, Giant 1 falls unconscious, Giant 2 takes 2 INT damage, and the ogres take 4 INT damage each.

(2) Corrath moves in on Giant 2, charging to E19 at ground level ... and pulls a natural 20! She does a total of 87 hitpoints damage, which drops Giant 2 to one third of its total HP.

(3) Halden full attacks and cuts down the two closest hobgoblins to him.

(4) From here much of what happens depends on Mazarun. Rilwen_Shadowflame -- if you're still around, any thoughts here?

6. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Just as a note, Saint, I did use an AP to go for Sudden Maximise on the stupid ray - as I understand it, that should have done the full 5 Int damage with both rays of the Twinned spell, so 10 Int for each bad guy it hit. Or did I miss something?

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I saw that, but the issue's really from Chain Spell, which is what the Lesser Rod of Spell Chain gives you. Per the feat--

Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). Each arc affects one secondary target chosen by you, all of which must be within 30 feet of the primary target, and none of which can be affected more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum. If the chained spell deals damage, the secondary targets each take half as much damage as the primary target (rounded down) and can attempt Reflex saving throws for half damage (whether the spell allows the original target a save or not).

Ray of Stupidity deals INT damage, not INT drain. Your primary shot, at Giant 1, hit on both twinned rays, and the twins did 5 INT damage each, per Sudden Maximise. Thus a total of INT 10 damage and the giant falls unconscious. Then you get arcs from the twins. Per Chain Spell, all secondary targets take 2 INT maximum from each ray (5/2 rounded down to 2), and they're permitted a Reflex save to halve that damage again, whether the spell allows the original target a save or not. In Giant 2's case, he made both his Reflex saves, and thus only gets Kardashianed stupefied by 2. The ogres all failed their saves, so each takes 2 INT damage from each ray arc that hit them, for four each. This makes the ogres a lot stupider, of course, but doesn't take them out unconscious to INT 0. There were also hits on pretty well all the hobgoblins, but seeing as hobgoblins get INT 10, this doesn't take any of them out either.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Really sorry about the delays, guys. Worse still, I'm going out of town for a week as from tomorrow, and I might only be able to check in intermittently.

By way of brief summary: we're assuming Mazarun delays until Skadi takes her turn. That then means the Giants get a turn. Giant 2 remains down and unconscious; Giant 1 gets up and unloads a baseball strike that hits Ragnar and does 60 hitpoints of damage to him. On current numbers that doesn't even drop him below his normal HP total, so he's still fine right now. About the only differences on the map as provided are that Corrath is invisible at E19 and Giant 1 is standing up, not prone.

This brings the initiative order to this:

Initiative Order:
    Ragnar: 22
    Wyrmlord Kharn: 20
    Evelios: 20
    William: 19
    Corrath: 17
    Halden(!): 16
    Mazarun: 14
    Giants: 14
    --->We are here now in the initiative count.<---
    Ariel: 13

Skadi: 13
    Mazarun: 13
    Zanaek: 12
    Everybody else on the field: 1
    So now Ktala , Livi-Wan , and CmdrMitthrawnuruodo just need to specify their moves. Light, I know it's a late and unnotified imposition, but can you mind the shop while I'm out? I'll still try and check back in and offer advice when I can...?

9. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I'm on it. Livi's gunning for Kharn, but do I have any actions for Ariel and Zanaek?

Livi-Wan likes this.
  10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Gonna clear a way to Halden so I can heal him. Unless everything around him is dead by my turn. Will use staff in that case.

-----------
    MOTTI: Thou shalt not 'tempt to frighten us with words so like a man of magic, Vader. Nay, thy sorc'rer's act is tir'd and overdone. The sad religion thou dost cling to hath no pow'r to conjure up the stolen plans. Nor dost thou have a third-eye's sight to make--

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel is following Zanaek at the moment, unless she spies something in the immediate area of him that she should take out as a target. :D

12. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Yep, I'm pointing Skadi at Kharn with the intention of pounding that Death Knight into chutney.

13. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    So, if Zanaek is going to clear folks out, would that be a Holy Smite?

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
  15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Ok, so order of operations here:

Ariel: Delays after Zanaek, then charges anything still standing
    Skadi: Dives onto Kharn, full attacks via pounce
    Zanaek: Holy Smite on the biggest pile of enemies, then move towards Halden. Mitth, do you want to use an AP on this spell, either to retain it or to do something like drop a Sudden Maximize to boost the damage to a flat 40?

16. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    I've spoken to Rilwen, she says she keeps meaning to get round to us but never quite manages. Might be best if you just take Mazarun for this round at least, Light.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Sudden Maximize. More I can take out in one felling swoop, the more of our guys can pound on Kharn :D

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Hey guys; back again ... thanks again to Light for holding the fort. In terms of where we go, since everyone's waiting for the big swing from Skadi, I guess it comes down to this set of dice rolls. Since it's Skadi's character, feels like she should take the shot, or Light if she lets him roll for it...

19. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    I don't mind if Light takes it! I'll write up a big post for Skadi this evening re: pouncing

20. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Ack, sorry. Yesterday got real busy real quick. Post is away now!

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    ...And...update is up.

...and...you've won.

The Battle of Brindol is over.

The tag is there for you. For reactions. For celebrations. You can assume there will be jubilation on the walls, rejoicing.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    P.S. I do encourage listening to the audio track provided in the dateline - I've been waiting months to use it for this! :D

(And no, the campaign is not over. Not quite. You probably already knew that from the hints I've been dropping. ;) )

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Hopefully having today off means I'll be able to get a post up once I'm done mathing.

Saintheart likes this.
  24. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Yeaaah! High fives all round! [:D]

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002