main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary A word of advice from a group that has been there before and some encouragement...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Indigo_Jade, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to stop by and give you guys some advice and encouragement.

I remember very clearly the struggles that go into getting going and making a FanForce Chapter "official". It took Edmontooine nearly 5 months to get it's 3 meetings in, and it wasn't from lack of trying.

My suggestion is this. Somebody needs to step up and say "This is where the meeting is going to be. This is when the meeting is going to be. Hopefully you can make it." Plan it far enough ahead (2-3 weeks) so that people can plan to attend or try and work their schedules around the date. Amend it slightly if needed (somebody has to work that night but not the next night) but do that as early as possible. Make sure you let Chris or Mike know about the date as well.

Now, even if you don't get your "required" 3 people at the meeting, and only two people show up, that is fine!!!! Now you have made a connection between at least two people. Exchange information about YOUR schedules, and then try to plan another meeting that works for the two of you for sure. Chances are, that date might just work for another person who is interested. Then voila, you have your first official meeting. Then try to plan ANOTHER meeting that the now three of you can attend (or even at least 2), and you will be well on your way!

Also, keep in mind you don't have to have a "meeting" per se. If you are going to a movie anyway with some friends, extend the invitation here on the board for anyone to join you. If enough intrest is garnered, then try to make it an "official" meeting. (Just make sure you give Chris or Mike as much notice as possible.) Also, not to speak for them, but I am sure they won't mind posting all these potential events on the FanForce page, as long as you don't go overboard and post every single little thing you are doing... ;)

Even if you only meet to have a coffee, or have a quick dinner at McDonalds, you are making headway and most importantly, making new friends, which at it's core is what FanForce is all about. Don't get too hung up on the fact that you want every meeting to be "official". That leads to the stagnant side... ;)

I know you guys can do it, and we of Edmontooine have faith that one day we will have another FanForce chapter here in Alberta. We are looking forward to that day!!!

Take care, and may the Force be with you all!

Indy

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Great advice, Indy, I wish we'd had some guidance like that when we were forming. It took the Base a long time to hit official status, yet it seems that's how we have events now, too: we post our event, a date and a time, and if people attend, they attend. It's hard to think that official meeting doesn't have to happen: fans meeting up is what Fan Force is all about, and two people can be fans together, just as easily as three. :)

We also found it very helpful to get email addresses and / or phone numbers from attendees, so that they didn't have to log on to the forums in order to get the data about the next gathering. (Reminds me, I have to update that list...)

Anyhow, good luck, and you have my best wishes for the formation of your new chapter!

*Derisa*

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Boy, I really feel like a Forum-Killer now... I post what is supposed to be some encouraging words, and instead, it appears to have done the opposite and caused the Calgary effort to stall... :(

Come on guys, we know you can do it!!!! Don't make me come down there an organize and event myself!!!! :D

Indy

4. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    He'll do it too [face_plain] ;)

5. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000

Do two or three of you have something in common, like comic books, or collecting, or video games, or RPGs? How about meeting up at a comic store, or arcade, or gaming shop?

Do you folks have any coffee shops in Calgary? Inexpensive restaurants? McDonald's, even? Everyone eats, so there's at least one activity you can do together that you're guaranteed to enjoy. :)

Come to think of it, our chapter's first meeting was in a 24-hour coffee shop, and our second was at a small diner that made the best fries. Our third meeting was at a Tim Horton's. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.