main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About this new Communications policy....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Obi Anne, I could not agree with you more. I think there is more that is going on in here that meets the eye...

I read something about internet drama, but I dont think that the people who that title was directed to are the ones who are causing the drama.

It is time for some serious introspection here folks.....are we being constructive or just power hungry? I have a feeling that this will fall on deaf ears.......

2. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    To me, the biggest thing it does is takes away some of the fun that was always present in this forum.

Since when was the Communications forum about having fun?

This is supposed to be a serious suggestions, comments and questions board about the JC and TFN. It doesn't seem like it was intended as a place to have fun to me.

3. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    darthmomm- Maybe you can convince others like Obi Anne to take an active and consistant role in this forum, if it means that much to you. I don't see how closed threads incite so much collective fear, but oh well. My point remains. If Communications is going to be treated by the Admins like it currently is, threads will be closed to make sure chatting is no promoted and to lower the number of possible open issues.

4. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Like I said, I am not so sure that this is an issue over closed threads.....

But anyway...the problem I see here is that when a new user comes here to get an answer to a question, the answer may already be in a thread...but the thread has been closed, and has fallen down to the bottom of the archives....SO, the poster does not see the answer (remember, all threads are closed)....he posts the question....thread gets closed and poster gets a warning saying that the question is repetitous.

I am saying that it is overkill......

5. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    agreed with Darthmomm, I do and with ObiAnne. I came home from work to further discuss issues here, and lo, and behold, just about everything was locked down. Considering the number of newbies added daily, there will be much redundancy in the coming days. Unless there is outright flaming which must be quelled (editting is my preference), a few more open threads on continuing discussion will be good. Stuff discussed here is not appropriate for Senate or JCC.

6. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I love how my thread was used. The thing that made me mad was pboy didn't even bother to address my question before he turned it into a chat. This policy is so stupid it boggles the mind. If this policy is to be permanet, I am all for abolishing this board, as it is pointless. It seems quite obvious that this policy was created out of lazyness.

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    It's just so surprising how so many people even give a rip when PB closes their threads after he responds. Unless he's told to stop, you'll have to expect a high percentage of closed threads in the Communications forum.

If you're not satisfied with his answer, he's not the only mod you can talk to. I'm sure the rest would be more than happy to give you his/her opinion regarding your question(s).

And that's my final answer, Regis.

8. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    See, i know i ALWAYS get yelled at for it, but that is why i bump all the unlocked threads whether i care what they say or not. When you come into a forum, this one esp., its really annoying to see the majority of the first page locked. i understand your trying to clean everything up, but i dont see why i get in trouble for doing people a favour, no one really wants to skim through all the locked threds to find one thats open.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    People, if you turn my thread into a Bash Preacherboy Fest, I'm going to have it closed. That is not why i started this thread. I don't think there's anything sinister going on here, I was just looking for some discussion and thought about the policy.

10. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Im not bashing PB, just incase nyone thought I was indirectly, I think he's great mod, and does a great job, but i too have the same problem as you, and i had found my own little fix for it that was keeping me from going insane, and was told not to

11. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    Who came up with this policy anyway? I never saw a thread about it or anything.

12. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I wasn't knocking PB or his policy, at least I didn't intend to. I was only reminding those who don't like having their threads locked up every time PB posts that there are ways of getting around that hurdle.

13. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    McNerf, it was announced by PreacherBoy in a thread somewhere down in the forum listing, but it says this:

When a question has been answered. Lock.

When a discussion thread is no longer on topic. Lock.

When a thread is posted about current JC technical issues, or reoccuring ones, and the appropriate response has been given or the issue is no longer relevant. Lock.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You would think the fact that there are so many people opposed to this policy for perfectly logical reasons would be enough to make PreacherBoy realize there may be something wrong with his idea.

15. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Frankly, it's time we all **** or get off the pot.

If a thread in Comm is redundant or no longer informative, I will close it. Favoritism will be the death of us.

16. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    No longer informative ... to whom?

It's far too relative to have anybody go declaring a thread 'useful' or not, if it hasn't gotten side-tracked with spam.

What is useful to someone who has been here a week is vastly different from what is useful to someone who has been here a year.

Vertical

17. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    "It's far too relative to have anybody go declaring a thread 'useful' or not, if it hasn't gotten side-tracked with spam."

You have hit on a key point. A newbie has problems we don't have and vice versa. There are questions that need to be asked, information that should be readily given and we should readily direct them to such information.

Perhaps it is time for an index.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    However, Communications is not just a question and answer session, as I think has been pointed out before. It's a forum intended for communicating, which is defined as an exchange of information. Summarily closing all threads that you think are "finished" may prevent spam, but it will also prevent this forum from fulfilling the very purpose for which it was intended.

If you're going to do that, just delete the whole forum. There's no point in having a forum that is supposedly for communication between admins and members but is in reality nothing more than a front.

19. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    just delete the whole forum
    I like this plan

can we lose community too?

20. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I think discussion is perfectly OK in Comm. threads, but we must not let it get out of hand. We must try to maintain a straightforward, business approach to all of the tech issues and a calm fron to the the more drama queen elements.

21. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    So I guess no more hitting on female mods eh? ;)

22. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Vert and DLM are reading my mind :p

23. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    saint i love your sig lol

Better to die standing than live on your knees
    people who should be unbanned:
    Ethril
    TrainingForUtopia
    Connemara

24. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    yeah I was kinda iffy about that first line, because I don't remember where I heard it, but I think it might have been star trek :\

25. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    It was in a movie.. cant remeber one, civil war one though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.