main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I trade lots and lots and lots of trade fodder. Got a Scatterbug named PeenMuncher and traded that to someone in France.

RC-1991 likes this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Time to [re]-take the North/Casterly Rock!

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Inspired by Pokémon (...don't ask), I went for a run this morning for the first time in quite a while. I had forgotten how enjoyable it could be. I actually feel more energized rather than less.

And who knows, I might be able to repair my sleep cycle and wake up at a respectable hour from now on. Useful for when I start working soon. :p

TrakNar and Ulicus like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I think given the upcoming movies for next year GrandAdmiralJello might be tempted to blow up a few movie studios

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    He's had to put up with 30+ years of Rebel propaganda. I think he can handle it ;)

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

oh goodness. I'm going to be irate, aren't I?

You know, I don't ask for much. Despite what you might think, I recognize movies are movies -- I'm not going to demand historical fidelity, although it's nice when it's done. I enjoyed Gladiator, despite the fact that it barely resembled history, because it was a great movie (so too Spartacus and Ben Hur). I enjoyed watching The Tudors because I thought it was fun, although the friends I knew who were experts in the period detested the liberties it took with history. I even enjoyed Rome despite being an actual period expert because it was well done with excellent production value, and many of the background things were well-researched even if it had the Roman chief priest named Julius Caesar talking about how he was a soldier not a priest.

300 is the lowest of the low, though... and from the looks of those thumbnails (not sure I even want to look at the trailers) the others don't look much better!

RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh Ben Hur is all kinds of epic, I watch it at least once a year, just like Lawrence of Arabia

Yeah you properly don't, especially the first one seems like they threw 300, Thor and the Spartacus TV show into a blender and thank god finally someone who also hates 300 as much as that movie deserves to be hated.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone have any tips on how to get to sleep earlier or wake up earlier on a consistent basis?

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Really loud alarm clock works for me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Here's what I do:

Wake up early. Be tired. Sleep earlier the next day. Repeat.

Ulicus and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Heh, I discussed 300 once with my Classics chair, and his reaction was pretty much "What the &@$# am I watching?"

And that Pompeii trailer is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Gorefiend likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure how well that would work for me. I get pretty tired during the day but am wide awake at night. Takes forever to fall asleep.

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I had the same problem for a while, and my mother recommended I take melatonin. It's a pill, but instead of being a straight-up sleeping drug, it actually stimulates your own natural sleep mechanisms and restores the natural sleep cycle. I take one 5mg pill 20ish minutes before I hit the sack and it works pretty much every night. It might take a while as your body gets used to having a normal sleep cycle, but it does work. Nonaddictive, cheap, you can get it over the counter in pretty much any store with a drug or pharmacy section.

I hated the idea of being on a sleeping pill, but I really can't argue with the results. The only times I'm up in the middle of the night now are when my cat decides she's going to either batter my door down or take up the carpet in the next room.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

1).....What? What? HOW IS HERCULES A GLADIATOR. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF GLADIATORIAL SPECTACLES ORIGINATING IN HELLAS OR PHARAONIC EGYPT, ALL EVIDENCE POINTS IT BEING AN ITALIC INVENTION.

2) Jon Snow, what are you doing in Old Valyria? Stop it.

3) It burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnns ussssssssss!

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah but that one has Dwayne Johnson so it might actually be kind of entertaining.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL, ok, after that I had to watch the trailers.

Hercules -- lolol, tell me that Greek Odeon isn't in pre-Alexandrine Egypt. Please. Although nothing excuses the Roman gladiatorial armor.

Pompeii -- god, it's like they're so uncreative they want to rip off Gladiator and the disaster film genre all at once.

300 -- how on earth is it that a 300 sequel isn't the worst of the three? I mean good grief, this is the film with BDSM Xerxes!

y'know, I like that antiquity is in vogue among moviemakers these days. I just wish they'd do something decent with it and stop trying to rip off Gladiator! Guys, it wasn't the bloodshed that made Gladiator a Best Picture.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Nep Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe did. ;)

Though Pompeii might actually get to be hilariously awful because Paul W. S. Anderson is directing that one.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I've had pretty good success with melatonin as well. Good luck, Force Smuggler .

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Sleep in hour and a half increments. You know that old sage advice on getting "8 hours a sleep a night?". That's actually wrong. It's scientifically better to get 7 1/2 hours of sleep rather than 8, believe it or not. I don't remember the exact science (it's been awhile since I took psychology), but it has to do with the sleep cycle and REM sleep. If you wake up during the right part of the sleep cycle, you feel more rested and are less inclined to simply go back to sleep.

Try it. Set your alarm for six, seven and a half, or nine hours, trying to keep into account how long it takes you to get to sleep (most people average at about seven minutes, but I take about twenty because I hate sleep). You'll probably be surprised how much better you feel. Plus, if you do it strategically, you can actually sleep less and not suffer the consequences, which is perfect for me. Like I said, I hate sleep with a fiery passion.

But consistent sleep cycles are for chumps and normal people anyway. I pretty much never go to sleep anywhere near the same time two nights in a row. Probably not healthy :cool:

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Wow, I have almost the exactly correct going to sleep - waking up time without knowing it. But the exact time when I fall asleep is between 5-45 minutes.
    It took six months to go through all the Harry Potter audio books during those minutes, and about the same with A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings combined.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For those interested in the classical period but loathe 300, this may well be of interest to you:

Three by Kieron Gillen and Ryan Kelly:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47411

The other great, albeit infrequent, classical series is Age of Bronze by Eric Shanower - a retelling of the Trojan War.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I enjoy the 300 comic (I haven't seen the movie in years), but yeah, in the words of Alan Moore...

"Read a history book, Frank".

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He can't, they're all written by "liberals" who are hung up about being accurate to their "sources". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.