main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    If they just keep tying in the movies... the show will be ok ... but the show is going to need a HULK-Avenger to keep people interested!

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree, the odd cameo from an Asgardian or Avenger is not enough. The big problem this show had for 75% of the first series was the lack of anyone particularly interesting outside of Coulson. That was overlooked more at the end when the story got better & you added a really got proper villain who in turn fleshed out someone like Ward, but that should have happened earlier IMO.
    I stuck with the show & was rewarded, but I know a lot of people who switched off because they found it dull. They expected more superhero type stuff & with Mike Peterson & later Deathlok we did get some of that, but he wasn't in it that much

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I couldn't ever take Captain Lasertag seriously, to be honest. Which was a pity, because I have a huge soft spot for Gunn.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right. Though whether he pulled the trigger on the dog or not would indicate how far he'd be willing go.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Let's not forget that Maria Hill and Nick Fury made some pretty good appearances on the show. Hopefully, Agent 13, Sara Carter will make an appearance on the show.

I would also agree the show needs a solid villain to make the show interesting. The ordeal of the weak isn't working out so well.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sharon Carter, not Sara Carter. :p

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My bad. I had Sara Connor on the brain.

Anyway, I think season two should be really interesting now that Coulson is the Director and is starting the organization for the ground up.

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Maybe Sarah Connor? That would make for an interesting guest appearance....

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ward should go the next step into full on Dr. Colossus cartoonish supervillany. I'd be way more interesting than mopey inner conflict. The actor is better when he's playing a jerk anyway.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    As long as the actress playing Sharon Carter is still doing ABC's sister show 'Revenge', an apperance isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Surely she has time for a cameo one episode.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed. We want Sharon! She can set up business in between the AoS break for "Agent Carter". Of course, they'd have to co-ordinate between the writers of Cap 3 about what Sharon is going to be doing but since the Cap writers are the creators of "Agent Carter" it should be okay.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Marvel? Coordinating across mediums? Pfft!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think generally the TV show has to play catch-up with the movie folks (that mainly has to do with the difference between lead-time of TV shows vs movies) but we saw a direct foreshadowing with what exactly Hill's new job at Stark is however I think that has more to do with Whedon directing Avengers 2.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    My thinking was more Revenge is a completely seperate show and universe from S.H.E.I.L.D. and the MCU and Emily VanCamp (Sharon) is the playing the lead on that drama, so her schedule with that series may very well prohibit her from a cameo, unlike with Colbie Smulders and How I Met Your Mother where Smulders didn't have quite as big a role as Van Camp does playing the protaganist on Revenge. Plus ABC may have this silly idea in it's head that viewers would confuse Emily's two characters.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Juliet -- you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally.

First, when in TV land, worry less about "shows" and more about "distributors and studios." Both are not only shows on ABC but shows produced by ABC -- and this is likely the last season for Revenge to get it to syndication which will then free up EVC as well as having her cross-over on AoS could provide a ratings bump to Revenge (which potentially increases the sale value of the syndication deal).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it has more to do with the show dealing with the immediate aftermath of TWS and Avengers 2 effectively being the next movie in line (as GOTG isn't going to be directly dealing with earthbound events AFAIK) and is currently in production, as well as AOS being the more direct bridge between those films than any of the others.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Right, right. I have a real problem with that."

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure if this was mentioned the other week or not but AOS S1 hits BD Sept 9th, same day as TWS. It'll include the Marvel special as well as the usual deleted scenes, bloopers and audio commentary.

Still no new One-Shot, though.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah yes, the special that had Edgar Wright talking about Ant-Man, wasn't it? Oy.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't think anything screamed "TV budget!" more than Deathlok's stupid outfit.

Though it all could have been solved by Paxton crooning, "I told you, you'll get to play laser tag with your son after the next mission," at the end of each episode.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the problem is that it just felt incomplete- had he kept getting upgrades it probably would have improved.

23. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    The ratings decline during the course of season 1 was pretty dramatic. Started out with 12 million viewers and ended the season with 5 million viewers. Ratings need to get quite a bit better during season 2 if it wants to stay on the air or at least stay on network television. I watched half of the premiere but turned it off because I just wasn't that interested in it. Dvr'd future episodes but never felt a desire to go back and watch so I ended up just deleting all of them. I might go back and get it off of netflix when it comes out on dvd.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ignore those numbers and focus on the demos.

Started at 4.7, ended at 2.0. If those numbers don't change, it might be a problem (though we also don't know how much a) the show costs and b) what the marketing numbers are in terms of tying in to the movie properties). But recall, it's an ABC-produced show on ABC, so they get all the money.

It's not 100% about ratings any more, it also now has to do with studio production and branding (though yes, ratings are still the primary driver).

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You also have to compare it to other ABC program performance, where it did very well for scripted content, IIRC.

But, yeah, I think the biggest thing is the corporate synergy element- advertisers are basically helping Disney pay for a one hour commercial for Disney movies and merchandise.