main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Alpha Base R2D2 geocaching Travel Bug

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Kai, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I've combined two hobbies. I've made a Geocaching Travel Bug out of a plastic R2D2 candy dispenser.

Geocaching is explained on the website, as are Travel Bugs. A TB moves from cache to cache.

You can see him here and watch his progress...

Alpha Base R2D2 Travel Bug The site can be very slow, even on high-speed line, so be patient.

2. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    I don't understand what GeoCaching is.. I read the site, and I still don't get it.

and where did you get the adorable r2 candy dispenser!!

3. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Geocaching is hunting for a cache (hidden box-o-stuff) using a GPS. Coordinates are listed for the cache and then one goes out to find it. The common practice is to write in the log book and if you take an item, you also leave another item. These items are small, quite inexpensive, sometimes toys, trinkets, stuff. We look for small cheap souvenirs when we travel to then leave in caches. We brought back some patches, for example, from the White Sands Missile range. There was a cache hidden in Kent near a former missile silo, so we left one of the patches there.

Here are my photos of our geocaching experiences
    Kate's geocaching photos

In Geocaching, we've discovered lots of nice parks we would have never run across. And it gets my husband out of the house and out for some exercise, rather than spending the day in front of the computer!

The R2 is a candy dispenser, similar to the Bucket-heads (Stormtrooper helmets) that fire shaper makes into antenna balls. I got them all over....at Target, TRU, etc.

4. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Ooooo, I found another R2D2 travel bug in the area to which we're travelling on vacation. He want's to go to where space flight originates. So we'll bring him back and get him closer to NASA.

5. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Hey, should I add a link to the Artoo travel bug on the Alpha Base Links page?

6. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    If you want, sure, though it's slightly off-topic. I'm back and my R2 has been dropped in a geocache near Leeds, England (nearest cache to where I once lived). The other R2 I wanted to pick up was taken by someone else the morning of the day I went to get it!

One of the first things I did this am once back on line was to look at the Alpha Base website. Lookin' GOOD, Amanda! I like the addition of the photo links to recent events.

7. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Thanks. :) I managed to find some time to work on it before my projects for finals week started to get time-consuming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.