main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"...and I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vaan_Karrde, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaan_Karrde

Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm watching ESB right now, and I caught this line Darth Vader says when the probe droid finds echo base.

There was a topic in this forum a while ago, a debate about whether or not Vader knew "the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star" was his son before the Emperor told him. Well, wouldn't this line confirm it?

2. AusCop

AusCop Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    All that line proves is that vader knew who luke was,but didn't we already know that from the oppening crawl?-having said that i suppose you could argue that vader could feel him,which would indicate some sort of connection...

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    He knew that Luke Skywalker was his son, but Palpatine didn't know that Vader knew. Vader played dumb when he said, "How is that possible?" It is the nature of the Sith.

4. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    My thoughts on this would be that at the end of ANH, Vader did a little force "soul" searching if you will, to discover the identity of the rebel that had so much force potential - "the force is strong with this one".

Now since we know now that the Sith way is for the apprentice to destroy the master before ascension to master themselves - maybe ol' Darth simply wanted to find an apprentice to replace himself once he took out Palpatine...

After feeling the "tremors" in the force surrounding Luke, maybe the patterns themselves were the same as Anakin's, ergo the rebel was a Skywalker...after some more investigasting, maybe Vader discovered the truth about Luke and thus begins his "obsession with finding young Skywalker" as the opening crawl states...and as the end of the duel on Bespin will confirm - Vader wants to take Luke as his apprentice.

He kept the knowledge from Palpy - but as it turns out, Palpy IMO was feelin' it too. The "how can this be?" line when Palps says the rebel is Anakin's offspring is just Vader playing dumb IMO.

Anyway, just spitballing here, but that's my take on it...[face_peace]

5. Vaan_Karrde

Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    I fully agree with Darth_Tweakpiece.

Although, I don't think it's the opening crawl that tells us, since he doesn't have to know Luke's name to be obsessed with finding him, I believe it's the line I mentioned that proves this, thus the conversation between him and Palpatine was a charade.

I always assumed that, whether or not he knew Luke was his sone doesn't make a difference, I'm sure from the moment Vader said "the Force is strong with this one" he found his new sith apprentice, and his possible ascension to sith master.

6. Sinjin_Sith

Sinjin_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2006
    It seems to me that shortly after the Death Star was destroyed, imperial intel would have been able to find out relatively easily the name of the young pilot. I would think then, the two Sith were both very intrigued and discussed at length what the name could mean, but they could not at the time conclude with complete certainty Luke Skywalker's relation to Anakin. Never the less, this would have to pique Vader's interest, whether he was certain Luke was his son or not. Of course, he may have become convinced through his own insight before meeting with the Emperor in TESB, but he still may have been perplexed as to how it could be.

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    In the EU, Vader actually went on a Rebel-butt-kicking-rampage after ANH until he found the name of the person responsible. He learns Luke's name in Marvel comics and in Vader's Quest.

8. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    That´s correct , Vader hires bounty hunters that hunt down a rebel pilot that under torture reveals the identity of the pilot that destroyed the DS . Later in the book , Vader nearly arrests Luke , but the population of the planet stops him. After the rebel pilot tells Luke´s identity , Vader kills all bounty hunterts to cover his son´s identity , but he doesn´t know that Palpatine know severything because one of the bounty hunters escapes to Coruscant.The final lines of the book are excellent : Palaptines to himself :" Hello Darth Vader , hello Skywalker"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.