main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Draft II: Osaka is watching you sleep. Congrats Shurron!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by EmpireForever, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I assume SEED is just because of the Armor and how everyone has a different handle of how powerful it/they are, right? My SEED Gundams lost more than most of the others on my team. You can attribute that to bad draws but they still lose their fair share. And a loss is a loss.

But why Wing?

2. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    SEED is, yes, because of the armor and because no one has a concrete view on what will get through it beyond the base, in universe, answer.

As for Wing. 90% of it is because only the designs changed for Endless Waltz, not the power levels. And at those levels, Heero could pretty much do the kind of stuff that you saw Gunbuster do in Durron's vid. And it doesn't make sense to get rid of the main Gundam and then keep all the others from the series. 10% is that I hates them.

3. Dom_Perignon

Dom_Perignon Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Yeah, why Wing? :_| -Luffs him some Heavy Arms-

4. chaotic208

chaotic208 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2007
    with some of those one piece guys near the end of the list.... mechs might actually need to stay to balance the power out... one of those guys down there cut a tower in half with the wave from one of his kicks, which he can do practically nonstop ... but cement tower =/= gundam

5. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You're impressed by cutting down cement towers with the One Piece guy when someone on the list...who is admittedly not first round in this current draft, was able to slice several buildings in two with just a flick of his wrist? I mean, Kenpachi just kind of flinched and the buildings next to him were sliced in half diagonally.

6. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    the tower was like.... empire state size... this coming from a technique he can rapidfire as long as he wants to.. that covers 360 degrees around his body... and he isnt even the strongest of them :\ i didnt say he was the strongest.... but just the fact that there are seven of them with abilities like that... as well as the mobility and defense equal to a bleach captain (if not greater) makes the bottom of that list possible first or second round picks.

7. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I don't really see the need to cut out SEED. Even with their armor, they can still be beaten by a number of people on the board (with prep and in some cases without) and by other mechs. Though powerful, it's not impenetrable (note beam sabers and positron cannons and such), and it can even be bypassed if a character can expose the pilot in the cockpit.

Hell, if we're talking armor and ridiculous stuff, we should definitely cut out Professor Utonium and all of his fun stuff. The stuff Shurron's been listing he can do with his prep are pretty damn WT*-worthy in and of themselves, way more than the power of mechs are.

Specterace

8. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    maybe we could throw in teen titans? but noone in that show is very powerful except maybe trigon and slade....

9. Dom_Perignon

Dom_Perignon Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about Prof. If he's > all three PPGs put together...I dunno. He's fishy.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I see no reason why they shouldn't be in here as they are anime and belong in here more than some others on the list do.

I'm pretty sure everyone on the list is animated, and so none of them really belong more than others.

And, I have a problem with the Gundams because I just don't like them, and I've never been able to get into a Gundam show ever. That's just personal preference, kind of like not wanting to have pokemon. It is, however, a huge list of mostly the same stuff. You're getting a tinly little bit of variation, but for the most part, it's just more of the same. I'm not saying to scrap it, but if it were up to me I certainly would. There are way too many of them that are way too similar, in my opinion, and none of them are bad picks, considering the bottom end. And it's no fun to me to envision a battle between a non-mech pick and a mech pick. It's like TLI said, there's always that "OMG, a big freaking mech!" moment, and it's just not really a fight for the most part. There are definitely the characters that can take them, but the fights are still not very interesting. It's mostly because I just don't like them.

11. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    And Durron calls me the genius? Pfft. I think it's obvious that they are animated characters, but thanks for your professional opinion. What I would do without EF's smartass comments... The point was that Gundam is at least a recognizable name in Anime, some of this stuff just isn't. And they aren't nearly as big as Gundam yet we keep them around, even when no one picks from their show.

And YAY for the 'He will think of something because he is a genius' argument. On that possibility alone the Prof should be neutered.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    By the way, belated congrats on the win Durron. :D

13. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Lei should go, Prof should go, GWing should stay, Seed should go b/c no one knows what the shields would block from more powerful attacks, Evangelion just sucks...

Xellos lost to a PPG. I didn't argue it much but if he's gonna be considered for a loss to them he should stay. Uh...

I was actually fine with Gunbuster, they didn't seem all that unbeatable to me. They haven't fought any PPGs or Happosai or demons or anything of that nature in this draft that I can recall, but I don't really care.

Anything I missed?

14. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    I thought the SEED suits should stay, given that they have been beaten in other drafts and their armor has been pierced before, meaning they're not invulnerable. Just more powerful than the ones in, say, Wing. Plus, it's a more familiar series in Gundam than most (ie. pretty much all but Wing).

Gunbuster should DEFINITELY go, given it's insane power (BTW, it pulled off a win against Blossom this draft, IIRC). If you keep that on, you'd need to put Nono, Utonium, and at least early DBZ-level power on just to even the battlefield. (Look at the video Shurron showed and the ones on the web to see what I mean)

Specterace

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Uh... That's okay we can get rid of them. I didn't bother looking at any of the vids anyway.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It doesn't matter if they're not easily recognizable. Being recognizable has no bearing on who does, and who does not deserve to be on a list. And Gundam may be recognizable, but that doesn't mean anyone knows who those pilots or suits are specifically. Some people know some of them, but even the most knowledgeable admit to not knowing all of them.

Yeah, because the whole argument was "he will think of something". Sure thing.

Also, you would probably be bored, possibly a lot.

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
  18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    We really should keep at least a good portion of the gundams though. They are pretty much a staple of anime. And yeah, I think some of these never-picked guys can go.

There are plenty more animated chars who could get picked.

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's a huge list. It can definitely be trimmed. And even if it's not being scrapped, the Gundam list definitely needs a trim as well.

20. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    About the mechs, how about this list?

Amuro Ray
    Char Aznable
    Kamille Bidan
    Paptimus Scirrocco
    Four Murasame
    Emma Sheen
    Judau Ashta
    Haman Karn
    Glemy Toto
    Ple 2
    Elpeo Ple
    Anavel Gato
    Heero Yuy
    Duo Maxwell
    Trowa Barton
    Wufei Chang
    Quatre Raberba Winner
    Zechs Merquise
    Kira Yamato
    Athrun Zala
    Shinn Asuka
    Rau Le Creuset
    Rey Za Burrel
    Mu La Flaga
    Lunamaria Hawke
    Stellar Loussier
    Shiro Amada
    Norris Packard
    Domon Kasshu
    Master Asia
    Renton Thurston
    Anemone

That's 32 mech pilots, meaning that if all are picked and it's spread out evenly on all teams, each team would get 2 (which is a small list considering that the Gundam franchise alone consists of about 5 universes, 8-10 series, and who-knows-how-many OVAs and movies). It's smaller than the Bleach list, smaller than the Naruto list, and about a quarter smaller than the previous mech list (since we're taking out Gun/Diebuster and a few pilots who'd just be filler anyways).

How about that trim? Or should we add/cut a few more?

Specterace

EDITS: And for the love of all that is holy, can we PLEASE trim the Bleach and Naruto lists? People complain about the mech list being too long, but those "Bleach/Naruto" lists are freakin' massive, and full of people who are the rough equivalents of Coleman Trebor in the Jedi Draft. I don't see the need for massive lists of people who hardly anyone would draft, yet are in there just because their show is the "it" thing right now.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Since it was brought up, and I was thinking the same thing a while back, here's an experimental trim of the Bleach/Naruto lists.

Bleach
    Ichigo Kurosaki
    Rukia Kuchiki
    Kisuke Urahara
    Renji Abarai
    Uryu Ishida
    Shihouin Yoruichi
    Soifon
    Gin Ichimaru
    Sosuke Aizen
    Byakuya Kuchiki
    Sajin Komamura
    Shunsui Kyoraku
    Kaname Tosen
    Kenpachi Zaraki
    Ikkaku Madarame
    Yumichika Ayasegawa
    Mayuri Kurotsuchi
    Ukitake
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Shinji Hirako
    Ulquiorra Schiffer
    Aaroniero Arleri
    Yammy
    Toshiro Hitsugaya
    Matsumoto Rangiku
    Izuru Kira

Naruto
    Naruto Uzumaki
    Sasuke Uchiha
    Sakura Haruno
    Kakashi Hatake
    Deidara
    Hidan
    Lady Tsunade
    Sarutobi (third hokage)
    Jiraiya
    Zabuza
    Lady Tsunade
    Itachi Uchiha
    Kisame Hoshigaki
    Shikamaru Nara
    Might Guy
    Neji Hyuga
    Rock Lee
    Gaara
    Kakuzu
    Sasori
    Orochimaru
    Kimimaro Kaguya

I took most of the regular humans and regular Arrancar off the Bleach list and dropped the less combat-skilled ones from the Naruto list.

22. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    looked back at my one piece list and took of about 10 people, since were trimming somewhat useless people off of the other lists, i figured i might as well

One Piece
    Monkey D. Luffy
    Roronoa Zolo
    Nami
    Usopp
    Sanji
    Tony Tony Chopper
    Nico Robin
    Franky
    Buggy the Clown
    Don Kreig
    Saw-Tooth Arlong
    Kuro
    Red Haired Shanks
    Dracule Mihawk
    Captain Chaser
    Portgas D. Trace
    Mr. 0 - Sir Crocodile
    Mr. 1 Das Bones
    Mr. 2 Bon Clay
    Silver Fox Foxy
    Priest Satori
    Priest Ohm
    Priest Shura
    Priest Gedatz
    Wiper
    General Kuzan Aokiji
    Robert Lucci
    Kaku
    Kalifa
    Blueno

i dont know if anyone else watches this but me though -_-

does anyone have a problem with it being in there? :0

EDIT: found 3 more people that didnt matter

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You might want to consider leaving only the very tip top people for a new show, like 5-10 characters. If they do well next time, then you can probably think about adding more for future drafts. I'm not in charge of the list, but it's already crowded enough, and I doubt all of those names would make a final cut.

There could probably be some Naruto teams, I think. I'm not too familiar with the show, but I know not all of them are all that. There could be some nice team picks out of that, couldn't there? IT would help trim down the picks for that.

24. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    Here are the essentials.

Monkey D. Luffy
    Roronoa Zolo
    Sanji
    Franky
    Red Haired Shanks
    Dracule Mihawk
    Captain Chaser
    Portgas D. Trace
    Mr. 0 - Sir Crocodile
    Mr. 2 Bon Clay
    General Kuzan Aokiji
    Robert Lucci
    Kaku

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Here are the team picks I assembled for Naruto. Not sure about 4, might be a little strong, but they got beat up pretty easily, so it should work.

Team 1 (Baki, Temari, Kankuro)
    Team 2 (Shikamaru Nara, Ino Yamanaka, Choji Akimichi)
    Team 3 (Shino Aburame, Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuga)
    Team 4 (Jirobo, Kidomaru, Sakon & Ukon, Tayuya)

Could do an Orochi, Kabuto, Kimimaro team too, but that might be a little much.

Also, revised Bleach list, limited to captains, Espada, high-level lieutenants, and two humans.

Ichigo Kurosaki
    Uryu Ishida
    Renji Abarai
    Kisuke Urahara
    Soifon
    Byakuya Kuchiki
    Toshiro Hitsugaya
    Kenpachi Zaraki
    Ikkaku Madarame
    Mayuri Kurotsuchi
    Jushiro Ukitake
    Shunsui Kyoraku