main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcement: Away Colors for Moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah, maybe change it to say "the reason you're green" or something ;)
    as I'm sure that's what it's supposed to mean anyway ;)

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Hell yeah, demotion got passed.

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Out of curioisity, hasn't it been ages since any real "security" issues? I mean, wasn't the last time a mod account was hacked like 3 YEARS ago?

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think it should read; TITLE: Burying family member :(. More like, TITLE: Manager on vaction as an example. Nothing detailed, just general and "heads-up"-y.

E_S

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    That all sounds fine.

"Out of curioisity, hasn't it been ages since any real "security" issues? I mean, wasn't the last time a mod account was hacked like 3 YEARS ago?"

It's as simple a matter of staying logged in while you're away and someone else using your computer, if the JC is your homepage then it's almost an invitation to anyone who knows what they're looking at.
    The same goes for using public computers in libraries and internet cafes, it's just a simple precaution that could potentially go a long way.

6. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Agreed. It's a simple precaution and one we can easily enforce.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Oh, okay. Great idea overall, then.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh good more rules. Exactly what we need. But at least it's brought a halt to the current, and very deliberate, over examination of this monumentally important issue. Congrats everyone.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I think we're getting too semantical over such small of a thing. This is the internet, ladies and gentlemen, and this should be a subconteous issue.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I gotta say that this whole thing has gotten out of control. Having to do so much just to be away for 5 days? Gimme a break. It's overkill as we fall all over ourselves trying to frantically hammer out a policy to help the three people who get utterly confused when something happens to their moderator and they PM an admin. Just have the mods go green, change their title and mention it in an MS update. If people are still confused then oh well they will still go on to lead healthy successful lives in the real world. This is only the Internet.

12. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm sorry for adding to your gruelling workload Strilo but if changing your title and colours and mentioning a holiday in a simple MS Update is the most difficult part of your volunteer job then there's some serious problems that need immediate correction.

If it's "only the internet", why do you have such a problem with losing your moderator status for the duration of your "holiday"?
    You shouldn't be using them while on holiday anyway....so why have them hanging around in he first place?

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    "Most difficult part"? Ha ha. Where did he say that?

And yeah it's "only the Internet"... so let's just have green for away, let that extremely simple message percolate through the JC, and forget this nonsensical attack on MS decision making masquerading as policy discussion ever happened, eh?

14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Ahh, no, because this is the policy now.
    The discussion is finished, policy has been formed and is expected to be adhered to by the administration because the Head Admin says so.

Don't worry, it'll take you a little while but you'll get used to being on this side of the fence Everton ;)

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd rather be trapped inside a roast potato. :(

16. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Maybe.....YOU AREADY ARE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This is the current policy based on input from Comms and the MS up until this point. At some point we've got to develop a policy we think works and is in the best interest of the forums. We'll bear in mind the concerns still out there and if it doesn't work, I have no problem pulling the plug on it or revising it. But at some point we've got to draw the line and say this is what we'll do and just do it.

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    ^ What Vertical said :)

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The line in the first post seemed okay to me...

Let mods use their judgement, i.e trust them, and all will be well. And also y'know... we won't all be flicking through rule books and rule book appendices every time a mod is off for whatever reason.

This really really really isn't an issue that requires such strict procedures.

I sometimes think a Comms thread can't come to a resolution until an super-duper all encompassing policy has been bullied into existence.

20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well at least they get to turn green. It's such an awesome color.

...yes, that's all I have to contribute to this glorious discussion.

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    How articulate. Fight the power, mang.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am fine with colors and title changing. I have never had issue with mods coming and going being mentioned in the MS updates. However I will say no more on this issue. It is the policy for now and we'll give it a shot.

23. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "It is the policy for now and we'll give it a shot."

That's right, you will. :)

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, we're going to give this a try. I believe we've gotten everything out in the open about this, we've discussed it and if we go any further we'd just be going in circles. If there is a burning desire to revisit some aspect of this that you have to get out there, pls pm me and I'll open this back up. For now though, let's stick a fork in it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.