main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Anyone have any idea what to use for grips on a lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarkAnd23, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkAnd23

DarkAnd23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    i dont know what to use, i tried weatherstrip, it came off. but other than that I dont know...
    I also dont know what to use for a on/off switch. anyone have any ideas? (i dont have calculator bubbles)

2. ID4382

ID4382 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    windshield wiper strips

3. DarkAnd23

DarkAnd23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    they arent big enough, they are too small

4. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    How are they too small?

5. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I cut some grips out of some black PVC pipe. It worked great: the pipe was curved, so it fits the curve of the saber hilt perfectly. Just be sure to sand the inner surface of the grip material (the part that will be glued to the hilt) to ensure a good adhesion.

There's another thread about this back a page or two...you might check that out too...

--Kai

6. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I can't remember what gauge pipe, but there is a 1 1/4" PVC pipe that fits perfectly over the 1 1/2" chrome pipe a lot of folks use for the sabre hilt. (check the Big Yellow website)You don't have to use the exact pattern they have available, I plan to eventually make a second one that will have longitudinal grips made from the same PVC.

Additionally, you can use a 1 1/4" chrome pipe and stack polywashers over that to made a grip similar in appearance to the grenade portion of OWK's ANH sabre.

Other options include leather strips, wire rope, the possiblities are many.

7. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    The PVC pipe is the thinner of the two: SCH40 is the thicker, and will not fit. (from experience!)

8. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I've been cutting grooves into my latest saber hilt and slipping rubber o-rings into the grooves.

9. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    The PVC is the 160psi kind. Pretty thin, and easy to cut with a dremel (rotary tool)

Smiling-Otter, how are you doing that? Do you have pics?

10. leechan82

leechan82 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    I have a cool idea that I'm using for my lightsaber. I used the insides of some bike tires as grip. I know it sounds strange, but if you take out the tire part that holds all the air, the whole other section of the bike tire that just comes out of the inside tire itself, you'll have your grip. Then, measure how long your hilt is and how long you'd like to have your grip on your hilt. Go ahead and cut the tire into a rectangle. In other words, cut a top and bottom. Now, cutting is a bit tricky, but you've got a lot of rubber to use, so use it abundantly. :) The reason it's tricky is that the rubber part curves and when you put it on your hilt, after you've cut it the wrong way, then you'll get a curved rubber grip. Probably not what you'd want. So try cut it into as perfect of a rectangle as you can. Also, just to let you know also, if you do decide to use this you have to really glue or tape the grip to the hilt, because it will move if not. The other thing great about this is that the rubber from the tire will just slip on the hilt from the top or bottom. It fits perfectly!!! I'll try to get some pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about. I hope this wasn't too confusing. It's really easy and very good as a grip. REALLY.

11. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    go to an auto body shop and look for hoses that connect the radiator. They are rubber, with metal reinforcement, and have ringed corrugation all along them. Those are great, you actually make it as part of the saber, not as something that surrounds a tube.

12. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    I have to say, windshield wiper blades did the trick for me....the only problem was how to attach them to the hilt. I went the extra mile and drilled 16 precise holes for 16 nuts and bolts (8 sections, two bolts each). The real challenge was screwing the nuts onto the bolts while they are 6 inches inside a 1 1/2 inch pipe... Long story short, it looks cool, and the grips are never coming off.

13. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    The o-rings don't work with sink tubes - my preferred hilt before I got a lathe - since they're not thick enough. But on thicker material, with either a lathe or a simple pipe cutter, you can cut grooves into the material. Slide the rings on and you're set. One thing you might do, cut a groove and then slide the o-ring on before you cut the next groove. Might make things a bit simpler, since you don't have to slide o-rings over each other.

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I wrapped my hilt in leather strips. It works VERY well.

15. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah I used leather strips and actually wrapped it around the hilt, giving it almost a braided look.

16. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It depends on how much action it will see. I have a copper pipe with a 3/4 reducer on the top to hold in the dowel rod for the blade. I use electrical tape. Stays in one place and grips really good. If you want to get fancy, Try Felt or a type of synthetic leather. Just an idea.

17. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    Home Depot/Lowes carry 3' wide rolls of rubber carpet runner/protector in their flooring isle. This stuff runs about $1.50/ft., and you don't need much. They have several patterns - I used a ribbed version that works great for grips. Use epoxy to adhere it to your saber. I measured then cut and wrapped a piece around a sink tube saber, glued with epoxy, and then rubber-banded all around to hold it to shape while the glue cured (5-minute epoxy recommended). Works perfectly.

18. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    If you're using wiper blades, you could attach them with pop rivets instead of bolts and nuts.

19. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    anyone ever thought of trying one of the online "parts" webpages ?? the ones that sell kits to finish your 'sabers?

NWJEDI
    dave

20. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    You can cut up a mouse pad and use the back side for your grips. Then you can make them wider than a wiper blade.

In fact I am about half way done with a saber were I am doing just that.

o' rings are what I use the most for my grips though.

21. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    A thought...

For the Vader/Anakin sabers (graflex/MPP/Heiland), I thought about using the wiper blades, but rather than glueing, riveting, or screwing them into the tube, I thought about cutting the tube so that you could slide the blades into the tube, similar to what you'd do to the wiper itself. The trick would be to measure out the precise cuts. But with a little patience I'm sure it could be done.

Of course, if you want to make it with the 1/2" or so that's between the grips and the 'pommel', then you'd have little cuts, but if you just make it to length, then it wouldn't look too bad, and would work nicely, no?

Just some ideas.

22. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Actually, thats how many believe Anakins was done in Attack of the Clones... :)

23. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I tried that with a sink pipe once. The problem I had was the sink pipe became very weak where the several cuts were put into the end. You may want to think about re enforcing it some how. I didn't get mine to turn out :(

24. BroodMcEto

Jan 14, 2002
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I wonder if a wooden dowel would be big enough to fit in there for support? I'm sure something can be put in there for added strength.

25. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I've used fiber conduit, rubber washers, bat tape, and pvc pipe. The fiber conduit looks great once it's painted:

[image=http://www.rmff.net/gallery/Meeting%2010%20-%20StarFest%20April%2020%202002/Props%201.jpg] (top right saber).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.