main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 4: Chancellor's Meeting DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This scene set a terrific tone for the political workings of the film. A lot of people have something to say, but none if it really adds up, and things are not what they seem. This is a theme that runs throughout the film and is captured perfectly here.

I do kinda wish one of Padme's lines hadn't been cut. In the screenplay, she thanks Yoda for his greeting, saying seeing her alive brings warm feelings to his heart. She says in the screenplay "Thank you Master Yoda." Instead, we cut to "Do you have any idea who's behind this attack?"

She doesn't care that Yoda cares about her! How rude! :p

2. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    She doesn't care that Yoda cares about her! How rude!

Maybe she's thinking "enough of the pleasantries. I've come to put things back on schedule". Hmmm :p

3. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    This scene was edited badly. Half the Loyalists are missing, Onaconda Farr turned into Dar Wac, Dar Wac turned into Onaconda Farr - argh! And Amidala's comment about Dooku is too confusing without the previous Senate scene.

4. Marcus-Aurelius

Marcus-Aurelius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2004
    McDiarmid is the best actor in this scene. I think Mace and Yoda are good too. Padme strikes me is Miss ultra-Serious. I think they should have let Bail Organa speak more. I really liked the scene, however, because Palpatine says that Obi-Wan should protect Padme. The first time I saw the movie I knew precisely why he mentioned "Master Kenobi." He wanted Anakin to look after Padme. I really wonder what's going on in inside his head and Yoda's in the scene.

5. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    Half the loyalists are missing? I think the other half needs to get out of the office too. There are way too many people just standing around.

Also, Padme mentioning Dooku was needed.

6. tuskenkiller

tuskenkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004

How was that needed? Umm....yeah even though he would want me to vote against an army, and that is what im doing. I think he still wants to kill me anyway...uhh whatever. Bad script and bad writing.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Half the Loyalists are missing, Onaconda Farr turned into Dar Wac, Dar Wac turned into Onaconda Farr - argh!

Well actually Dar Wac was still Dar Wac in this sequence. The goofy EU botching comes in the emergency meeting later.

But I was disapointed at there being only 3 out of 10 Loyalist Committee members being present for the meeting.

8. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003

But it made no sense without the previous senate scene.

HLAS, right you are. ;)

Of note: the two original Senators were Horox Ryyder and Luminara Undli.

9. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    We needed to know who our bad guy was! That's why! He is in the opening crawl, but that's not enough! Half the audience will have forgotten the opening crawl by the time Padme's ship blows up!

Say we're watching AOTC for the first time. We read about Dooku in the crawl. Oh, I wonder if he is the bad guy? Then Padme says: "I think Count Dooku was behind it." This is good, now we know that it could be Dooku behind it.

Dooku wants Padme dead so that Nute Gunray will sign the treaty. That is why he has Jango try to kill her. Dooku can also benefit by Padme's death, because she doesn't want a clone army, and Dooku does want the Republic to have a clone army so that he can start the clone wars.

I'm sorry I just don't see how this is bad.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with a lot of what's been said here, but I had to also add this. One of my favourite lines in the movie is in this scene:

PALPATINE: ...perhaps someone you are familiar with... an old friend like... Master Kenobi...

It's great on many levels. First of all, obviously what Palps is really suggesting is that Anakin protect her. Secondly, he makes it seem as though this thought just occured to him, and the Jedi fall right into his little trap. Thirdly, it seems like a fitting way to transition to the re-introduction of our heros and the convenient regrouping as seems to magically happen in all SW films ;) Fourthly, I just love the way the line is phrased because it's like we the audience also get to meet up with an old friend, Master Kenobi, whom we haven't seen since RotJ :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    I completely agree with that.

12. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    We needed to know who our bad guy was! That's why! He is in the opening crawl, but that's not enough! Half the audience will have forgotten the opening crawl by the time Padme's ship blows up!

We don't need to know that Dooku is the bad guy until the end of the movie when Obi-Wan discovers the commerce guilds pact. All we need to know is that Count Dooku is the person leading the separatists.

And are the separatists bad for wanting to separate?

Say we're watching AOTC for the first time. We read about Dooku in the crawl. Oh, I wonder if he is the bad guy? Then Padme says: "I think Count Dooku was behind it." This is good, now we know that it could be Dooku behind it.

But it makes no sense. Why would Amidala suggest someone who she is trying to say is peaceful??? It goes against her whole argument. If she agrees that he was behind this, then she is saying the Republic DOES need a clone army.

Dooku wants Padme dead so that Nute Gunray will sign the treaty. That is why he has Jango try to kill her. Dooku can also benefit by Padme's death, because she doesn't want a clone army, and Dooku does want the Republic to have a clone army so that he can start the clone wars.

Dooku doesn't want Padme dead - Gunray wants Padme dead. Jango killed Zam so she wouldn't talk about him.

sorry I just don't see how this is bad.

It's bad because it is a line that is not needed at this point in the movie. A better line would have been:

AMIDALA
    We must also investigate who is behind these attacks. It is clear that someone wanted me dead so they could pass the Act in the Senate.

WINDU
    Our reports indicate disgruntled miners on the Naboo moons.

BAIL
    I think we should also consider Count Dooku. He may be trying to pull the Republic into a war.

WINDU
    Senator, you do realise that Count Dooku was once a Jedi Knight...?

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    AMIDALA
    We must also investigate who is behind these attacks. It is clear that someone wanted me dead so they could pass the Act in the Senate.

Good thought. But how do we not know that Amidala could be thinking that? Maybe GL found that no need to spoon feed the audience. Her mention of Dooku was enough to get Palpatine to make sure she's indisposed.

Padme also mentions that she finds the situation was not that dangerous. She probably wants to get on with the vote, but Palpatine insists! Yoda caught something there as well. Hmmm.

14. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Sidious leading them all down his chosen path - even Yoda [face_devil]

15. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Have a close look at Sam Jackson's acting for Mace Windu during this entire scene...especially when the delegates arrive and everyone gets up and turns to greet them...except Mace who lingers in his chair.

What do you think that is all about? Jackson's portrayal of Windu has always been strangely shifty...edgy...uncomfortable to watch...and I think this is on purpose.

But what does it mean?

Your thoughts? Anyone?

:)

16. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Another thing i hated, i know its small, but i'm being picky here. Padme's rudeness towards Yoda. Not even a thank you. Yoda gives her a great compliment, and shows how he feels towards her, and all she says (without even a small hint of a smile) "do you have any idea who's behind these attacks".

this bothers me too. i just can't believe how rude and snobby she can be towards the greatest jedi master to have lived. i guess it's the politician side in her.

17. Master_Solo

Master_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    I like Mace's thinking look when everyone else enters.

18. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    This whole movie suffers from bad editng and Padme/Yoda is just another small example.

19. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Does anyone else think that Mace Windu is a Jedi betrayer, based on his "thinking" behavior in this scene and other scenes?

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The most curious thing about this scene is Mace's oddly conflicted look. Is there more to Mace than meets the eye?

21. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    Dooku wanted Padme dead so Gunray would sign the treaty.

"I'm not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk!"

And Mace is just thinking about the troubling times and if there will be a war. Mace is a good guy, unfortunately for all of you conspiracy theorists.

22. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah, I don't know where you guys get Jedi betrayer out of his deep thinking look. I could see why one would think that from his acting and line deliveries in TPM, but why here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.