main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ARE THERE STILL ANY QUI-GON FANS AROUND HERE?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Seremela, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Qui-gon fan right here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Qui-gon is great. I don't like how they made him easy to kill off though. I mean, here they said he was one of the best duelists, yet this Sith punk beat him. Then Obi-wan, who wasn't even knighted yet, beats the Sith punk. Yes, it's explained that the form he preferred gave him a disadvantage in the confines of the place he died, but a good duelist should be able to use alternate forms fitting the situation! Thus I think the explanation is lame.

That aside, I like Qui-gon because of his stubborn refusal to conform. I also adore him for his compassion and willingness to take "pathetic lifeforms" under his wing. Like I said before, I truly believe if he had survived the second duel with Darth Maul and trained Anakin instead of Obi-wan, things would have turned out much differently.

3. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I've written some Qui-gon. I don't hate him. I really think he had something great. I believe that alot of him lived on in Obi-wan, who happens to be my favorite character. Although Obi-wan probably wouldn't want to admit it!

I'm currently working with a co-author on another Qui-gon and Obi-wan adventure. Something with Obi-wan as a young child. I really like what Qui-gon stood for and really thought that he got kinda a bum rap. I think there will be a resurgence in Qui-gon fic.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have written young Qui-Gon fics and one is now on before the saga

5. Master_Tigris_Leigh

Master_Tigris_Leigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are my favorite characters. :D

6. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    I happened to be glancing through a list of action figure toys at Rebelscum.com, and it occurred to me to wonder: why isn't there one for Qui-Gon Jinn? Has there ever been one? Even if his only appearance was in The Phantom Menace, he was still a major character in the film. Darth Maul wasn't all that important, and yet he gets his own action figure. :mad: It just doesn't seem right, does it?

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    My brother has a couple Qui-Gon figures. Most recently there was a Qui-Gon Mighty Mugg and this season Hallmark has an ornament depicting the scene where Obi-Wan is caught in the hallway while Maul fights Qui-Gon. Target and Toys R Us recently (as in this year) carried a Qui-Gon key chain.

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    There are multiple Qui-Gon action figures. Check ebay and they'll show up right away. The best one IMHO isn't actually an action figure, it's the holographic Qui-Gon figure (action figure-sized but it's one piece). It really looks like him.

9. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Thanks for the information, LuvEwan and ardavenport. Do you happen to know if Qui-Gon has shown up in any of the role playing game sourcebooks? I don't play them, but I like perusing them for background. So far, I haven't seen any entries for him, except as a side note, which I find surprising, since he's credited with passing on the Force Ghost ability.

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I don't know anything about the role-playing games, or I might have replied sooner. I guess I'm surprised if the specifications for Qui-Gon aren't laid out as a character that you could play. That does make me wonder if anyone has played Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in a roleplay. I suppose someone must have.

Hmmmmmmmm, that might be a video game that I'd consider looking into --- one where you could play the Master Qui-Gon and Padawan Obi-Wan characters together.

11. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (both PT and OT) are my favorite Star Wars characters of all time.

There's just something about Qui-Gon, he was probably one of the greatest Jedi ever, that just makes you wish that there were more Jedi like him, though I certainly reject the newish theories going around that the Jedi were solely responsible not only for Anakin's fall (from Ep II on, was he ever really Light side anyway?), but their own destruction.

I peruse the QG story index regularly and have a number of favorite stories involving him and Obi-Wan. I'm working on a prequel rewrite of my own right now in which Qui-Gon does live, but ends up going on a quest to save the Jedi while Obi-Wan eagerly and willingly takes Anakin on as his padawan. Pretty much every PT character is involved and hopefully I'll start posting it at some point, once it's readable, hehehe.

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I like to think that there were lots of Jedi like Qui-Gon. Just with different personalities and appearances.

And the Jedi's biggest weakness was that they couldn't see the Sith Lord right under their own noses. Not even Yoda. I suppose one way that the Force was out of balance was that the Jedi were so rigidly on the light side that they couldn't even see the dark side coming.

After the purge, the fight was balanced, two Jedi (Yoda and Obi-Wan) and two Sith (Vader and Sidious). Any other Force sensitives that might have been out there were strictly on the sidelines. Not exactly the kind of balance the Jedi had in mind.

I read somewhere that Qui-Gon was supposed to be the very first Jedi Force-ghost. That it had never happened for a Jedi before him. But I don't know what the reference was for that. That would be a fundamental change in the Jedi Order if it continues under Luke.

I was very happy to see in ROTS that Obi-Wan had Qui-Gon to keep him company during his exile on Tatooine.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And I loved that too. In the Force Qui-Gon could support Obi-Wan

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/ghost7.jpg]

14. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    It seems unfair that the PT Jedi are constantly being panned as failures because they didn?t see Palpatine for what he truly was. Ascribing their blindness to their rigidity seems plausible, but if that?s the case, why didn?t the NJO notice Jacen Solo?s fall to the Dark Side or the One Sith? The NJO?s always been touted as an improvement over the PT Jedi, but on what grounds? Unrestricted usage of the Force? Inclusion of families? That?s just recidivism going back thousands of years rather than less than a century.

In my opinion, the PT Jedi were a success in that they fulfilled their defined roles as diplomats and negotiators within the Old Republic. Such a function appeared to have made the most of their limited numbers and likely reinforced their adherence to protocol and emotional detachment. By contrast, the NJO doesn?t seem to have a clear-cut role in either the New Republic or the Galactic Alliance. It?s as if Luke recreated the Jedi Order without any definite rationale beyond that he was told to do so.

I can?t help but think that the PT Jedi Council?s insistence on a strict interpretation of the Code may be the result of their knowing so much of the dirt in the Jedi Order. The Jedi?s involvement with maintaining order throughout the Old Republic via its government for centuries made secrets inevitable. The Council members would likely have had to focus themselves on the Light more than the average PT Jedi did to resist corruption, so in that sense, they were blinded by it. The fact that all politicians, whether corrupt or not, have secrets didn?t help either, thus making Coruscant, the center of the Old Republic?s government, the best place for a Sith Lord to hide.

While it may not be as tumultuous as other eras, I wish there was a role-playing sourcebook on more of the pre-Clone Wars PT Jedi beyond its Council members. Then again, that may be why one doesn?t exist ? not exciting enough for game players.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    According to GL, the grand poo-bah of GFFA, balance did NOT mean 2 Jedi, 2 Sith, a theory to which I also subscribe. Your mileage may vary.

Also, Qui-Gon was supposed to learn "immortality" of the self from the Whills - he was supposed to be the first practicioner of it in centuries, but it was not his discovery, but rediscovery of an ancient technique.

I too am glad that Obi-Wan had some company in his exile.

I believe Qui-Gon was a good, but sometimes short-sighted Jedi. He was far from the "perfect Jedi" but no Jedi was ever perfect. I think it's telling that this "maverick" Jedi was well-respected within the Order, even if he (often? usually?) frustrated the Council and his padawan.

There was room for orthodox and less-orthodox Jedi to co-exist, to the betterment of both.

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, the PT Jedi were not failures........just because they missed spotting one teensy-weensy little Sith Lord. ;)

The PT Jedi Order had a lot of accumulated wisdom, but they were not versatile enough to catch on to Palpatine who came at them from a completely different direction than any other Sith had. Palpatine, IMO, was the pinnacle of Sith ability.

I don't know anything about NJO Jedi. I just don't envision post ROTJ turning out that way.

Well, it is a kind of lousy sort of balance anyway. In the end, Anakin fulfilled his destiny by destroying the Sith.......he just took the long way around to it.

Palpatine had the perfect trap. He was so powerful that the only way to defeat him in a fight was for a Jedi to acquire so much power that the Jedi would be at extreme risk of going dark, too. I really think that if Mace Windu had managed to kill Palpatine that he would have gone to the dark side, too.

The only way to defeat Palpatine was to turn a Sith from the dark to the light side. Which was something that Palpatine was completely incapable of understanding -- he never saw it coming. Luke finally did it with Anakin, but there could have been multiple ways it could have happened.

- Qui-Gon could have turned Dooku
    - Qui-Gon could have turned Anakin
    - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could have trained Luke, who turned Anakin

But I don't think anyone could have done anything with Maul.

Anyway, I guess that might have been the missing balance, that dark could have gone to light, too. Or not.

17. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Are there any Qui-gon Challenges going on right now?

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Nope. None that I know of. The old Qui-Gon thread did have a list of 'standing' challenges, but you need to go there to see it. I think the link to it is in the forum index and there is certainly a link to it in The Qui-Gon Story Index.

19. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    We should start one then! There seems to be enough Qui-gon fans to make it work.

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I know I'd be up for it. :)

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Weeeeelllll, this thread could host a Qui-Gon challenge, but would Seremela need to change the subject so everyone could see the challenge?

I could add a list of all the standing Qui-Gon challenges in the index thread. But that thread really isn't meant for challenges. Just indexing.

Noooooow, there is the 'Jedi Way' threat that I might, ahem, be able to change the subject line to for a challenge. [face_whistling] And Qui-Gon's a Jedi. In the old Republic Jedi style.

And just as a refresher -- these are all the previous Qui-Gon challenges in the Challenge Index Thread -- and anyone could write a challenge for any of these. No deadlines were set for them.

1. Quiku (Qui-Gon Haiku) Challenge
    Write a haiku about Qui-Gon (Quiku). Haikus are 17 syllable poems (usually three lines of 5, 7, 5 syllables but they don't have to be).

1A. Stories, just stories Challenge
    For those stories that don't fit anywhere else. But who cares! They are stories about Qui-Gon Jinn. Need I say more?.

2. Qui-Gon's First Kill Challenge
    Write about Qui-Gon reacting to the first time he witnesses someone killing another. The killer can be a) Dooku, b)Qui-Gon himself, c) one of his padawans, d) one of the Jedi or e) one of his friends (whoever that might be).

3. Action Qui-Gon Challenge
    Action, adventure, A Jedi craves not these things but they usually get them anyway. Write about Qui-Gon in action.

4. Flash Fiction with Qui-Gon Challenge
    Write a flash fiction story (must be between 101 and 499 words) - any era, canon or AU, any POV, any subject - just include Qui-Gon somewhere in the story.

5. Broken Nose Qui-Gon Challenge
    Write about how Qui-Gon got his broken nose.

6. Qui-Gon and Romance Challenge
    Write a romance story with Qui-Gon as a participant or guiding another along in figuring out just what love is all about.

7. Questionnaire Challenge
    Qui-Gon Jinn has a lot of explaining to do. The Jedi Council has sent out a Temple-wide survey and every Jedi must answer... even our favorite Jedi Master.

8. Getting Older, Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge
    Qui-Gon realizes that he's getting older.

9. Qui-Gon goes Rogue or Tales of the Code Challenge
    What makes our Jedi a rogue? Or is he?

10. Childhood Qui-Gon Challenge
    Write a story about Qui-Gon between birth to age 12.

11. Drabble Challenge
    Write a drabble. A drabble is a 100 word story, no more, no less.

12. Evil Qui-Gon Challenge
    Qui-Gon Jinn is evil and yet he is still Qui-Gon? somehow. Sith Lord or assassin or down-and-out crook or any other wicked incarnation, let your imagination roam with the bad guy.

13. Qui/Obi/Ani Challeng
    Write a story/scene/whatever with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. Heck you could even do a dead trio if you want....And to make it more interesting, it has to be between 500 and 3000 words and include the following: blood, gems, starfighter, grin, and fluffy....

14. Dead Qui-Gon Challenge
    Write a story about Qui-Gon and his consciousness in the afterlife.

15. Mush Qui-Gon Challenge
    Write a story about Qui-Gon and mush. You know you want to.

16. Gifts from the Heart Qui-Gon Challenge
    It is a time of great celebration for the Jedi, a time for the giving of gifts. Life Day or any other Republic holiday may be used or just an ordinary day in the life of a Jedi. Qui-Gon gives or receives a gift from the heart.

17. Picture Challenge
    There are three pictures listed below that you can choose from ? Pensive Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon needs a tunic and Qui-Gon gets into another fine mess (with JarJar). Make up a story to go with the picture

18. Hair Challenge
    Write about Qui-Gon's long hair. Why does he have it? Why not dye it or clip it or get it all matted? Why not ringlets or hair extensions or bald? Go wild!

19. Councilor Jinn Challenge
    Qui-Gon Jinn - tenacious, tender-hearted, Living Force rogue Jedi - is now on the Jedi Council. How did he get there? Is he happy about it? Will he cause the collapse of the Order or save it?

20. Kill Jinn Challenge
    He can be any age, any

22. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    And if say a certain person had an idea for a challenge or something, what exactly would he have to do to get it all set up? :D

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, a challenge would depend on what one might want to do with Qui-Gon.

You could try humorous, like Qui-Gon getting stuck in a hole.

Or mushy, like Qui-Gon getting flowers.

Or maybe a little action, like Qui-Gon getting rescued.

It sort of depends on your mood. And while Qui-Gon is lovely all by himself, I almost always tend to like him with a side of Obi-Wan. :D

24. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    No I mean if I were to make a challenge what would I do?

25. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    From the Fanfiction FAQ:

Challenge/Discussion Threads

Running a thread
    As stated above, challenge/discussion threads are the responsibility of thread managers. There are many types ? discussion alone, discussion and index of relevant stories, challenges and index of responses, etc. Regardless of the type, it falls to the thread manager to stay on top of thread, whether that entails updating an index or issuing new discussion topics. Two or more users may co-manage a thread, in which case they may use a shared sock.

Before starting any thread of this type, first check the Fan Fic Index as well as the first 10 - 15 pages of Resource for any similar threads. Then contact the mods for final approval. This is not meant to limit discussion threads. Rather, it ensures that no one's stepping on any toes, and it cuts down on redundancy.

a) In most instances, a sock should be created when starting a 'ship- or genre-based thread, especially one with an index and challenges. This makes it easier for the thread manager to hand the thread over to someone else if she steps down.

b) In general, every index should be contained in the corresponding discussion thread. For example, an index of Aayla Secura stories should be listed in an Aayla Secura discussion thread, rather than a separate thread. An exception will be granted to an index so large, it slows the thread down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.