main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you lot bored of watching that damn trailer yet?!!???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arun Dale, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000

anyway...

i'm not trashing it before I have seen it. For all I know it could be excellent. But I agree with what Arun says - Lucas really does have to do something special this time. I will see it, but I'm merely justy preparing myself for disappointment

2. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Try not expecting too much. That'll do the trick. You do realize that if we were seeing the original three now we'd be saying the same thing? For some weird reason, maybe loyality out of some childhood thing, we're built the original trilogy up to be something it's not and these new films are exempt from that so we're seeing them as they really are.

3. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Poodu!! <runs up and gives him a big hug!>
    Welcome back to the insanity... and you've brought your lovely icon with you too! :D

Where have you been? The place has been different without you! ;)

Re: the whole excited about Episode II thing... without getting involved with the more 'personal' side of things... I'm looking forward to it!

Yes, it does mean (for me) a week's holiday in Boston, MA but it also means two and a half hours of escapism, of lightsabres and Jedi knights and... and... everything that I love about films!

Sure Peter Jackson raised the bar with FotR... but that was said about The Matrix too. They can exist in tandem... along with the rest of the feast of film that looks like we'll be served with for the rest of 2002!

Please excuse - I've been bouncing around like a six year old on too much sugar all day... and I can't see myself stopping just yet! :D

4. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Well, I will probably come under fire for this, but I really enjoyed TPM. Yeah, it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as the original trilogy, but that doesn't mean I can't like it.

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but what film ever is. The original trilogy has holes galore in it, but it doesn't stop me loving it.

I feel sad for the people that hate this film. It is a shame that they have not been able to enjoy it to the same level as they did the originals. Perhaps they need to recapture some of what they had as a kid.

Oh well, my two pennies worth.

5. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Hey Becky! :)

And I just gotta say one thing on Episode 2.... I can't wait! Sorry, but I think this one is gonna made amends for you guys in regard to your opinions of TPM!

6. pdubyuh

pdubyuh Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2000
    I agree Sam TPM was just setting the scene now we're in for the real thing and i for one is excited

7. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I hope so. I really hope so.

Though I haven't been impressed by McGregor in the trailers so far.

And as for my opinion on TPM. I just think it could have told the same story with one hour cut out of it.

8. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    I think my 'thing' with TPM..is that it's too bloody complicated..trade wars, sith, young Darth Varder, Midi Colreaans ( or what ever they are called ) Jar Jar etc..

Star Wars was a good old fashion adventure story whose main charaters became more 3 dimensional as the story progressed through the trilogy..

TPM just seems to be a projectile puke of idea's that don't seem to bond with the story or with the story that proceeds it..Don't get me wrong there some fine moments...the 3 way saber fight and the pod race are really cool..but there are moments that make me cringe...and most of them seem to involve young Darth Vader...

9. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I liked it too Phill.

I am also looking forward to Chamber of Secrets (whenever thats being released) and TT and Spidey (woo hoo).

I'm sorry Ben but we don't all just like SW exclusively.

Arun: I agree about Jake Lloyd. I wanted to strangle him everytime he said "woo hoo" or "yahoo" or just whenever....

10. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I've been less impressed with Hayden's performances in the trailer.

My biggest gripe with the new films in general - no suspense. It's like Titanic. We know what's generally gonna happen. It's the journey to the destination that we're mostly unsure of, and it's not been too interesting so far. I hope I'm proved wrong, but this newest trailer was quite disappointing - but that's only cos those rumours of Yoda kicking arse in it were untrue.

If they do manage to make Yoda kick some serious behind then all shall be redemmed :D

11. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Go for the legs master..

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    bored of the trailer? bah!

I'm guilty of expecting too much from these movies. I'm just not going to view them in the same way as when I was a kid. TPM set the tone of the PT for me and, this time I'm spoiled so, I don't think I'll make the same mistake again.

13. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    I need another wee. Does that make me strange? Or would you say that's normal?

14. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Have you been at the Spearmint Polos again?

15. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    The wee bit is natural..on the otherhand the wanting to tell us..is a little disturbuing

16. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    I like to share. I have a giving nature.

17. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Watersport's eh?

18. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    LOL

Golden showers that last for hours

19. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    rachel you cow! Now I need to pee!

20. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Whatever rocks your boat....

You kinky little chicolita

21. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    So what you're saying is that it's not @ all natural and infact I have cow-like tendancies?

I don't know whether to wee or not anymore. My mind's in turmoil.

22. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Peeing your pants is like falling in love...first you feel a warm sensation and then it goes cold..LOL

23. Tanktopgirl

Oct 25, 2001
    Your darn tootin. Er. Not that I've ever peed my pants

// looks over shoulder

// shakes leg

24. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I think the problem with the movies this time around is two-fold.

When the original trilogy came out, we didn't have the internet, so word of mouth and behind the scenes programs were our only insight into what was coming. Each film was a big surprise, trailers were few and far between (and only normally one for a movie).

Now, we have reports coming out left, right and centre, with information every time we turn around about what's going to happen, what the new effects are like etc, etc.

The other problem is that we have all grown up now, and no matter how much we deny it, we do not look at films with the same level of wonder we did at the age of 8, or 10, or even 12.

Before someone makes a comment about their kids not seeing magic and spotting problems, remember that children today are a far cry from the children we used to be. They have grown up in a world of semi-realistic videogames, mass media consumption, the internet. The wonder and innocence (corny I know) of children like we used to be just isn't there anymore.

For me, I go to see films to regain that sense of wonderment that I felt as a kid. The world is crap enough at the moment as it is, without becoming too caught up in whether a film is perfect, has the right balance of story etc. I go to lose myself in that simple escape of not caring what is happening in the real world, just immersing myself in the excitement of the story.

Though I have to agree with Jake Lloyd. Say what you want about Jar Jar, it was Jake that I wanted to kill.

25. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Jake and Jar Jar

And don't you mean mass media corruption instead of consumption, Phill ? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.