main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the Stroke of Midnight

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daphne, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Smugness and Cheekiness as my dad once called us! (I was the latter of the two)

Daphne...don't make me cry. Sniff. Please post!

2. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Did he? Huh!!

Are my sister and I allowed to agree with each other twice in two days? Mmm, I'll risk it....

Daphne, I'll cry as well if we don't get a post soon! (You could have a flood on your hands ...)

3. Daphne

Daphne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2000
    Since I'm not Noah, and I don't happen to own an ark, I'll have to keep you two from crying. Although I'm not completely satisfied with the second half of part 16, I don't think it's going to get better (this is version 5).

So, here it is, and hopefully 17 will be ready soon.

At the stroke or midnight - part sixteen (2/2)

Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.

-----------------

"Jemmiah's going to our quarters to sleep."

Qui-Gon wondered if the girl was even listening.

"I thought I might get some rest myself. An-Paj thinks his condition is stabalizing."

Silence.

"Perhaps you should sit with him..... so he wouldn't be alone."

The Jedi master hesitated for a long moment, wondering if he had even been heard. Perhaps, just perhaps the wind out on the balcony bore his words away on its wings. But no, there it was, a small nod, telling him that he *had* been heard.

Wishing he knew of some way to reach her, Qui-Gon quietly backed away, turning inside. Only when she heard the door close, did the youg woman let go of the breath she had been holding.

Even at night the infirmary was brightly lit, and healers bustled, albeit quietly, about the rooms. Corrine trekked the familar path the the waiting room before stoppinc cold. She hadn't come farther than this yet. Somehow going in to his room, seeing him lying silent and still, it had seemed too much. *You should sit with him..... so he doesn't have to be alone.*

Forging ahead, she let one small hand push a wisp of red hair behind her ear. It was the only nervous twitch she allowed herself tonight. The hum of the machines illustrated too well how wrong things were. The worst sound was the soft beeping of the moniter next to him. Touching the wires gingerly, she traced them from the small motor, to the floor and up the side of them bed. Her fingers flinched slightly as they followed the colored threads up the length of his arm and came to rest near his heart.

*Oh Obi!*

Lowering her head, Corrine carefully kissed the bruised skin beneath her fingers. Then she lay her head down, and she prayed to whatever gods might listen to intervene. The knowledge that his force couldn't save him tore at her heart. In the silence, one might even have heard it break.

4. Lara_Notsil

Lara_Notsil Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2000
    Your post to keep them from crying has made me cry.

Poor Obi! Make him better soon please. I like Obi torture as much as the next girl, but him really starting to worry!

5. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    awww man... I just hope Obi wakes up soon. Jemmy can't take anymore of this..*sniff*

6. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

Smeg! That was sad... =( Flithy sithly scum deserves to DIE! Uh, yeah...wonderful posts, awaiting more.

aa :D

7. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    At the stroke of midnight - part seventeen

------------------------

Jemmiah slipped quietly through the halls of the Temple. Every moment she was away from him was another moment he might slip from her. She could feel it, it would be the dark of night that would take him, not the light of day. Tomorrow she would sleep, tonight she would make sure he wasn't alone.

She opened the door and stepped through, her eyes adjusting to the light. In contrast to the glaring light of the rest of the infirmary, Obi-Wan's room was cloaked in shadows. Jemmiah wondered if Qui-Gon had lowered the lights. Then she saw them. Obi-Wan still hadn't moved. *All he's ever going to say it 'I'm sorry'! Why didn't you answer him!* Jemmiah tried not to think about it.

The other figure brought another stab to her heart. Corrine knelt on the floor at his bedside, her fingertips resting agaist his bare chest. The strands of red hair escaping from their constraints spilled across her face. Jemmiah vaguely remembered seeing her friend kneeling like that once before. They had been younger, the Chancellor had a wife, and Corrine had pleaded to the forces that be to spare her mother's life. They hadn't listened then, Jemmiah could only hope this time would be different.

"Jemmy?"

"Yes?"

"You know, when he wakes up I'll leave you two be."

"Cory....."

"He loves you, and no matter how hard I try I can't make myself angry over it. I'm just..... I'm happy for you and miserable for myself."

"Kreff, Cory, it's not like that. He was with you, he loves you. Just wait and see."

---------------------------

It worked. The heavy hood drawn over his face, the calm facade, the quiet steps.... The stupid Jedi they left guarding them and nodded and let him pass right by. This was going to be too easy.

The directions to the Jedi hospital were clear in his mind, and Rufus Meridan waited patiently for the lift. Patting his pocket, he knew he would have plenty of time to act, all he had to do was follow the plan. It had always been so simple, just follow the plan and everything would be fine. That was the problem really, he had strayed from the plan last time, and not only had the Jedi lived, they had taken a witness back - stolen *his* property.

No matter, he would reclaim what was his and seek his revenge.

----------------------------

It was Jemmiah's turn to hold the damp cloth across his forehead and whisper soothing words. His heart rate had picked up a few hours ago, and the had called the healers, thinking that was a good sign. Yes, they found out, he was coming around, but only because an infection had set in. His ribs had become incresingly tender through the night and now, his face, even unconscious, had wrinkly in pain when a strand of her hair had brushed them while she leaned over him.

*Great, so he's going to wake up because he's in too much pain not too. You really fouled this up.*

She was still focused on her Ben when she saw Corrine's eyes go wide and felt a hand clamp over her mouth.

----------------------------

The feeling of a great weight settling over his chest drew the Jedi master from sleep. *Why should I sleep? Obi-Wan does that now for both of us.*

The unrest in the Force was great, and he could feel it all linking back to his apprentice.

8. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Run Qui-Gon run!!!! You have to help them! Please, before I start crying!

9. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    I'm after you with the hanky, Mouse. Sob!

She left it there?!?!?!?!

Daphne, I don't know whether to be overjoyed that you posted (and a great post it was) or bite my nails uncontrollably because I want to know what's going to happen next!

C'mon Qui! Go rescue them!

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yes hurry Qui-Gon, you may loose both Obi-Wan and Jemmiah yet!!!

11. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    I come back after two days and there are three edge of the seat posts!!!!!!!!!!!!
    your spoiling me daphne you really are. . .

12. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Ooooohhhhh, thanks for posting more Daphne. However, I think with all the sobbing going on for Obi & Jemmy you could be in for a tidalwave!

I love how the two girls care so much for Obi they'd give him up so he'd be happy with the other.

And Jemmiah, bite his hand! HARD!!!!! Quick Qui-Gon, they need you!!

13. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    At the stroke of midnight - part eighteen

--------------------------

(What would you say if I told you the story *might* be half over with, maybe less?)

-------------------------

Qui-Gon gave into the restless wandering the force called him to do. Drawing on a simple robe over his sleep tunics, the Jedi Master thought about checking up on Obi-Wan, but decided that whatever emotional moment Corrine and Jemmiah were sharing, he most likely didn't want to be a part of it.

The last few days had been rough. No, not rough, horrific. Not only was his apprentice suffering, dying, helpless, but he had broken his word. He had promised once to keep Jemmiah safe - sworn to her that Rufus Meridan would never be able to reach her on Coruscant. Qui-Gon Jinn wasn't comfortable with the fact that he had lied to her, albeit unwittingly, but a lie nevertheless.

Making his silent rounds of the Temple, Qui-Gon wandered the meditiation gardens, the force drifting all around him, seemingly urgent emotions brought on its wings; he tried to release them into the force. *You're just worried. It's not the first time.* The force however, kept talking.

---------------------------------

Jemmiah stood as still as possible, ignoring the large hand clamped over her mouth and the presence behind her. She could just barely see the outline of a blaster in the dim light. The weapon, held near her ear, wouldn't have stopped her - it certainly hadn't had this great of an effect before. This time, though, he wasn't aiming at her. Either Obi-Wan or Corrine would be in his sights, and she didn't want to guess which. *As if it would matter.*

Corrine stood as still as possible, hoping it was all some delusion brought about by too much worry and too many sleepless nights. Unfortunately, she didn't believe it. Watching as the man trained the blaster on her with one hand and cuffed Jemmy's wrists together with the other, she caught a bauble in his attention - not much, but still.... Palming the call button into her hand, she slid a bit closer to Obi-Wan. It might not have been much protection,for either of them, but she wasn't going to let anything else happen without doing something.

---------------------

Jemmiah gasped as the cool air struck her lungs. The fact that she was unable to do anything was more frustrating than she remembered. Punching and yelling weren't options - the cuffs on her wrists and the gag in her mouth assured that. Even if it was, she was too numb to consider it.

----------------------

Rufus had crossed the floor, a predator stalking his prey. Grinning he wondered what that poor girl thought she was going to do. Yes, that red-head with the defiant eyes - if he had the opportunity, he might have taken her with them. Unfortunately, time was of the essence and he had no intentions of straying from the game plan.

The shot had been quick, and so had his true revenge. *I only wish I had the time to be creative tonight little Jedi.* Disconnecting the cords had brough a muffled yelp from his captive, but Rufus didn't have time for that. The game plan said they would be on the roof in 5 minutes, and so they would be on the roof in 5 minutes.

------------------

*You fool! The force was trying to tell you something!*

The sound of the call button, his call button, chiming softly from his belt reminded him of all the times An-Paj had summoned him. *Get your padawan before he drives us nuts!* This time, the sound at the other end was less direct. Lady Valorum's voice, a muffled "please no," the sound of the machines, silence, struggles, then nothing.

This time, when the force nudged, Qui-Gon Jinn listened. His long legs carried him at full throttle towards the roof. *When I find him, I swear I'll dismember that no good rotten sith!* Any though of Jedi calm was far from him mind.

14. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Half over?!?!?!?

NOT FAIR!!!

More please x1000.

Will Qui be able to stop Rufus from taking Jemmy away? If that slimy sewar rodent manages to get off Coruscant, Qui-Gon could find it mighty difficult to track them down.

Hurry Qui-Gon, whilst you can!

15. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    MORE PLEASE X infinity!

16. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    ohhhh the tension builds. . . . .

and yet i'm getting an Idea for a fan fic. . . uh ho no marami not now. . .

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ok Daphne, I can handle this being half over, only if you've already got another on the back burner.

One of the few times Qui-Gon's not glued to the chair next to his padawan and look what happens.

18. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Too true Healer Leona! AND he didn't listen to what the force was trying to tell him....

HURRY!!!!!!!

19. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Okay, Qui-gon had better get his butt in there and save everyone!!

20. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Sigh. (Trying to be patient, honest!)

21. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Who's she kidding?!? Patient she is NOT! Please post soon and save my sanity from another round of Calam's nagging!

22. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Aren't you meant to be nice to me after this afternoon?

23. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus...

POST SOON!

24. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    Sorry, not ready to post the whole segment, but this half is ready....

At the stroke of midnight - part nineteen (1/2)

---------------------------

Jemmiah kicked out at the body behind her the second he came near her. The fact that she was bound was a small matter in her mind - even if the chance for success was small, the desire to hurt him was great.

"Calm down little one. You'll be where you belong soon enough."

Thump! Thump! Thump!

Jemmiah was kicking for all she was worth. To maximize travel time, Rufus had swung her over his shoulder, carrying her like a large sack of grain. Each kick connected squarely with his back, but the man didn't stop, didn't even slow.

"Save your energy. I guarantee you will need it later."

Thump! Thump! Thump!

"And stop kicking before I get upset. You don't want to see me upset."

Pause.

"Much better."

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Silence.

Lifting her head up, Jemmiah caught a glimpse of a green beam cutting through the darkness. "Put her down."

*Master Jinn! It's Master Jinn!* At that moment, Jemmiah couldn't remember having been so happy to see someone. And then she saw Rufus Meridan lower his blaster and reach into his pocket.

Her mind was quick, but her tongue was not.

The words "Master Jinn! Look out!" were a split second too late.

-----------------------------

Corrine tried not to hover, she tried not to cry either, but if she had to choose between one or the other, she'd rather cry - hoovering was likely to get her tossed out.

Obi-Wan looked worse if at all possible, but the worried lines had begun to ease on the faces of the healers. The ache in her shoulder was getting harder to ignore. Oh, Leona had patched up the blaster wound, but resting, or getting nicely drugged up, was out of the question until she knew Obi-Wan was alright.

Her relief was shortlived. Corrine caught his hand as his eyes flew open. Then the Temple shook and Obi-Wan cried out. "Master! No!"

25. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Now thats a sithly place to leave off.
    We need more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.