main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit At what point...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fistofan1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    ... did the New Republic Senate move out of the Imperial Palace and begin holding sessions in the senate building from the PT? For instance, are we to assume that the sessions from the Black Fleet Crisis series took place in the senate chamber? What about the JAT and The New Rebellion? And where does Crimson Empire III fit into this? In that story, it seems the Senate is holding meetings inside the Imperial Palace.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Provisional Council held meetings in the Imperial Palace, as a sort of quasi-legislative (but in reality, executive) body but the actual NR Senate always held its meetings in the Grand Convocation Chamber -- the earliest such instance of that is the JAT. The building that was bombed in TNR was the same rotunda, and the rebuilt Senate seen in HoT is also the same rotunda.

That's changed from the earlier EU, of course, which assumed that the old school Senate Hall from TOTJ was still in use, but anyway...

And I haven't read CE3, so I can't answer that particular question.

3. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Huh, well that's certainly different from what I had in mind when reading about NR senate sessions. Just out of curiosity, what source states that the Grand Convocation Chamber is the site of the NR meetings in the Bantam books? I can't imagine the authors of the novels knew about its existence so long before TPM.

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The Imperial Palace had its own smaller senate chamber according to the JAT. I would say after the bombing in New Rebellion obliterated the Imperial Palace's chamber that the Senate moved to the Grand Convocation Chamber, especially given the rising membership numbers of the NR had to be accommodated.
    However, considering the BFC takes place beforehand and I always imagined that to take place in the PT building, I don't know.

5. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    That's what I always thought, as well. Is there an official source that confirms this one way or the other, or is it up to fans' interpretations?

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Senators seen in CE3 are shown to be meeting in the Imperial Palace, but they also were clearly not the entire Senate, so it makes more sense to have them holding some subcommittee meeting there.

Really? It's been a few years but I could have sworn there's a line early in SOTP mentioning they're holding the Senate in a new location because they're still repairing the old chamber Kueller bombed. Or maybe it's just acknowledging the damage.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The GCC was originally coined in SotP and was intended to describe a new building, distinct from the classic Senate Hall of TOTJ (which was the building intended to have been bombed in TNR). The term GCC was later retconned to refer to the PT Senate Rotunda, which (apparently) was the one used by the NR and bombed by Kueller's droid things. I'm not entirely sure what the origin of the retcon is -- I want to say it's from Leland, but who knows? I decided to look it up on Wookieepedia in the vain hope that they'd say something about it in BTS, but of course they're totally silent.

edit: No, Brule, your recollection is entirely correct. There's a retcon, but I'm scratching my head trying to come up with where it's from.

8. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    JackG I looked in my copy of Jedi Search and it does seem that the senate session at the beginning is occurring inside the Imperial Palace and not in the GCC. GrandAdmiralJello, is Leeland the only source that has touched on this issue? If so, should we that the NR Senate began using the GCC sometime between the JAT and the Black Fleet Crisis? (I don't know why this question is bothering me so much... [face_worried])

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm definitely not a fan of the GCC being bombed, so any retcon in my personal canon is of the IP chamber being destroyed, thus necessitating the move back.
    This is interesting too: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Palace_Assemblage_Auditorium
    This is from CEIII.
    Edit: according to Coruscant and the Core Worlds the Palace's chamber was for smaller sessions of the Imperial and NR Senates, containing 600 repulsor pods decked in crimson, with six seats in each.

10. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Yeah, the IP chamber being destroyed in The New Rebellion makes a lot of sense, especially considering the fact that the chamber used in the Bantam books is described to be very different in design compared to the GCC. The reason I'm asking all these questions in the first place is because I was browsing Wookieedia and read a snippet about the GCC appearing in Jedi Search. As long as there are no official retcons on record, I think I can assume that the New Republic used the Imperial Palace up until TNR, at least in my canon.

11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    The Wookieepedia article on the GCC says that the chamber used pre-New Rebellion is the same as the GCC, which I just can't agree with, because, as you say it's very different physically and bombing the huge GCC doesn't seem realistically compared to the IP chamber.
    Also, I know there's a picture of the IP chamber around somewhere from a comic where Leia and Ackbar (who's wearing a different outfit!!!) are walking through the Palace. I want to find that again on Wook for reference.
    Edit: dammit, it's cropped[​IMG]!

12. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Yeah, the use of the GCC in the early Bantam books just doesn't make sense IMO.

13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's the image of the IP Seante chamber in 13ABY:
    [​IMG]
    Definitely not the GCC.

fistofan1 likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I have to say, that does look very much like the TOTJ Senate Hall. Which does make sense, as I think Leviathan was done by one of the TOTJ artists.

Evidence the Imperial Palace was built out of the older TOTJ Senate?

15. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The TOTJ senate hall lies several levels under the new PT senate chamber.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Not that I'm doubting you, but where does that come from?

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I hope Episode 7 is similar to Crimson Empire 3 (without Kanos).
    General Veers could replace General Vota.
    Mas Amedda could replace Devian.
    A student of Luke coule replace Kanos.
    Luke diew while flying the bomb away from Coruscant.