main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atomfilms deadline passed - anybody enter?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by drawmarkee, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Greg:
    It doesn't have to be DigiBeta... they'll take BetaSP as well... luckily I have that here at work, along with everything else... :D

Zayn:
    Yes, all the paperwork was sent in emails... plus directions on where to go on the web to get the files needed to file for an official copyright and to submit to the Library of Congress... literally!

Fenn

2. Saintstoryteller

Saintstoryteller Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2000
    Man, I can't believe you got Mike Jittlov. That's so cool!

"This looks like a job for Green Power."

Saint

3. jwdenzel

jwdenzel Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Woo-hoo! Congrats everyone. I can't wait til next Tuesday when everyone's stuff is online.

I just got my paperwork done today. After all is said and done I think I can safely say "It wasn't too bad." ;-)

--Jason

4. drawmarkee

drawmarkee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2002
    I had nine questions for Lindsay Carlson and one for Scott Roesch that I emailed last night, and they had them answered before I got out of bed this morning (I had a little trouble sleeping last night :D). The AtomFilms people are my heroes today.

Greg

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It appears that "Horror Beyond Your Imagination" won't be on AtomFilms.

But maybe TFN... (crosses fingers)

6. DavidZevin

DavidZevin Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2001
    Does anybody know a good contact e-mail or phone that someone at atomfilms will get back to you at? I got my film in right before the deadline and the anticipation is killing me. I heard today might be the last day you would be contacted.

-Dave

7. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Saint:
    Mike Jittlov's an old friend of mine now... and also one of my biggest influences, as his films insprired me early to bigger and better things... and to stay away from EBPs...
    We started corresponding after I met him at a DragonCon 11 years ago, and have kept up that way since... I got the Hollywood tour from him when I was in LA last summer for a con... even got to jump and run on the same wall that he did in The Wizard of Speed and Time... that was an experience.... :D

Fenn

8. trevor_lamb

trevor_lamb Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Who do I have to speak to at Atom Films to get a response?

Some people seem to be getting to speak to Scott Roesch. What's his e-mail? Like everyone else the not knowing is killing me and I just want some feed back.

Please help.

9. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    I have emailed Steve Sansweet with some of the questions. Hopefully he can respond today.

So far, the finalist from here are:

Power of the Sith
    Pod Commuting
    DV Psychic Hotline

Any others??

10. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    David,

I would be stunned if "Retired Menace" didn't make it in. It was a great piece. I still get goosebumps when that kid says "I see old people..." I'm not sure if it was left-over goosebumps from that same line in the 6th sense or not, but it was still good. I hope you make it.

Jeremy

11. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    David/Jeremy:
    While I think "The 65th Sense" ought to be considered if you got everything to them in time, I think the thing that may be going against it would be the fact that it's already online somewhere *other* than AtomFilms... they seem to be wanting new material, or so it's seemed from conversations and emails I've had with them...
    Azeem:
    There's that SW Project that Greg/Drawmarkee did that's in... not that we know much about it... (hint hint, Greg!)

Fenn

12. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I thought submitting to the competition would be cool.
    I also think retaining distribution rights to my our work would be cooler.

That's my excuse for not submitting, but we all know it's because we didn't finish the film yet :p

13. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    Congradulations,

Although I am sad and dissapointed because I fear I didn't make it, I still had alot of fun making my film and enjoyed and learned alot. I am happy for those who made it, and am glad so many submissions were sent in because filmmaking is awesome!!!!

if anyone plans on making filmmaking a future of theirs(like me) I wish you the best of luck...

14. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    Well, whaddaya need to know, Fenn? :D

Check out my site (in signature) for a teaser trailer and the credits/cast list. I'll be constructing a "new wing" later tonight which will include more in-depth development materials, which I think is what you guys would be most interested in, being filmmakers and all.

Here's a clip from the "Story Background" section of the site:

In June of 1994, Greg Hiltz and Draw Markee met by chance in Keizer, Oregon, just as each was graduating from high school. Since then they've kept in touch, mainly via email, but for the most part they've had very little to do with each other's lives.

Draw and Greg did a lot of talking that summer about video, and how cool it would be to "make something", but never actually did. Finally, in December of 2002, Draw picked up the telephone and called Greg, inviting him to visit his basement workshop in Portland. Greg took his video camera along for fun.

And so began the documenting of Draw's SW Project.

Yeah, don't forget me, Azeem! -- Greg

15. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Had a nice long conversation with Scott Roesch at AtomFilms earlier tonight... mostly some questions I had about stuff pertaining to Vader, but of interest to the group here...
    When I said they were flooded with last minute entries, I didn't even realize how many that was... according to them they got more than 100 in the last two weeks... they've whittled that down, and between now and next Tuesday (when the voting starts) they're planning on putting around 20-30 (depending on finalizing paperwork with people) new entries up on the site...

Fenn

16. trevor_lamb

trevor_lamb Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Well it's the day after the deadline and I still haven't heard anything. I guess there's at lest seventy other people feeling a bit like me then.

17. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    LFL responded to me:

AtomFilms did indeed get a crush of last-minute entries--maybe avalanche would be a better description. But it plans to get out
    rejection notices to all those who didn't make the cut shortly, hopefully most by the close of business Wednesday.

18. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog

Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    I wonder when close of business is. I am anxiously awaiting my rejection letter. :D

Foamy

19. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    They close down their switchboard at 5pm Pacific time... found that out yesterday trying to get ahold of someone, but eventually got through the automated answer crap to the extension I needed...

Waiting on one final talent release form from one of my guest callers, and then I get to fax everything to AtomFilms (close to 40 pages of stuff! Contract, releases, music clearances, music cue sheets, copyright application forms, script... a TON of stuff...) and everything's finally set... what a crazy week this has been... :)

Fenn

20. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    I just got back from shipping my NextDayAir package with master tapes, etc. I'm so glad I secured talent agreements during production, I can't imagine running around for them (there were 14 people on screen in SW Project), and I'm sorry if any of you had to!

I know it's all been taken care of, but I won't be able to sleep until I actually SEE the project on the site. Know what I mean?

Greg

21. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I sent my film Wan-Abi: The Making Of A Fan Film in the last Monday in March. Found it it was a finalist April 1 and got the paperwork and master tape in April 5. They told me they got it April 8 so now I'm waiting to see if everything is cool. The stress is driving me batty. A lot of the paperwork was new to me and I hope I did it right.

22. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Oscar:
    I'd call them today, as it's the last deadline for everything... I got the last of the paperwork taken care of and faxed out Wednesday night, and they got the BetaSP and CD stuff Thursday morning... got the call last night that everything was hunky-dorey, and should be up on Tuesday with everything else... did they not tell you anything similar when they said they'd gotten the tape?

Greg:
    Well, talent releases for the local people in the Vader film weren't a problem... but the majority of my "guest callers" live all over the country, so we recorded all their dialogue over the phone... quick for them, and saved me a step in not having to process the audio... :D
    Anyway, it's all taken care of... so Tuesday you guys can judge for yourselves how well we did....

Fenn
    (edits for spelling... oy!)

23. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Just got the email telling me everything is cool and that it would be on the site Tuesday. That is a huge relief.

24. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    > That is a huge relief

Isn't it, though? Especially after learning that the film was selected, it drove me nuts to realize that something really stupid might happen and my tape wouldn't make it on time, or I would forget to dot an I or cross a T ... but confirmation has been received, so SW PROJECT will be displayed to the world.

Oscar, tell me a little more about your film. Is it an actual documentary? Do you have a companion site? I'm interested because, obviously, it sounds just a little like my own. :D

Greg

25. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I don't have a site, but eventually there is going to be info on it at the Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance site at ifswa.topcities.com. we plan to tape an interview with me and the lead actor and put it on the site.

It is a mock documentary and sounds a lot like SW Project actually. It is a about a guy trying to make a film called Reepo: the Rodian Repo Man.

In the film within a film the Rodian is trying to repo a gonk droid that has Palpatine's soul in it.

It was shot handheld with a MiniDV camera and we built a gonk for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.