main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    No, no, no, TPMrules23, you idiot, the trailer should be all about Captain Tarpals! Deep down, right in the centre of your soul, that's what you really want. That's what everybody really wants. At least that's what the voices in my head are telling me.

2. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Love story? Padme? Are you serious? You had your fun now it's my turn!! I want a freak'in war!! This is "Star WARS", not "Love American Style". :p

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It sounds like those old serial episodes.........which is really what Star Wars is.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Episode II Love Story, Alderranian Style.

5. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Attack of the Clones???? Hmmmmmm

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    So is this movie going to be about clones? :p

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    This is my new favourite thread...

8. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    No, it's not going to be about clones. It's going to be about Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things, the Force.

Ewan McGregor's in it.

9. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    You can imagine people coming out of the cinema now, saying, "My favourite bit was when the Clones attacked," and a whole line of people shouting back, "Wellt thanks for ruining the film for me!"

Paparazzo likes this.
  10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    PR, love the way you put it, and that's my sentiments exactly. TPM works with kids elements, but the fall of the Republic and the death of thousands of Jedi doesn't need to pander ot the Jar-Jar element. Now, I know he said these next to films would be darker, but that title is silly. Seriously, the most common response I've noticed personally so far to the title is laughter. Ok, I know you guys are thinking I'm just talking basher trash here, but if this bothers you, take it up with the many fans I know who laughed! I mean, that very title makes me think the clone invision will launch some kind of musical. I can also imagine the great dialog that is being written by someone who came up such a stunning title:
    Padme: "The clones are attacking, what'll we do, what ever will we do?"

11. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    And what is this Blue Harvest thing people have been talking about?

12. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    Blue Harvest was the working title for Return of the Jedi, which they used to avoid telling the world that they were actually filming a new Star Wars film

A bit like how they go under the name JAK productions instead of Lucasfilm (or whatever.)

As for the title- ever get the feeling that Lucas doesn't want Star Wars to be taken as seriously as some people do?

13. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually, Scott3eyes, you maybe right. Take threepio in Empire, for example. Everyone says 'oh, empire was so serious and dark, no child like/jar-jar stuff in that movie.' Wrong. Empire's a great movie, but I just watched it last night. Threepio's as productive and as mature as Jar-Jar was in TPM, and then we have the Ewoks in Jedi (which I have no problem with). So maybe he feels the needs to lighten things up in EII by giving us something to laugh at at the very beginning of the film, starting with the opening crawl.

14. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Oakessteve,
    Sure....Tarpals will be in it...keep telling yourself that...

TJ & Hawk,
    Don't worry, there is a** kicking to spare in EII, but are you saying you don't want to see Natalie in a 'love story'? Come on! What's not to like about EII? Although I still can't decide about this title...

15. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Hawk wrote: "First to call on Go-mer saying he loves the title!"

Au contraire, hawk!

A full four hours before your post I posted the following in the Sanctuary: "What I'm looking forward to is Go-Mer-Tonic and company divining the hidden meanings and profound depths of the title, "Attack of the Clones".

;)

16. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    Already done it, but it's not for the spoiler-free.

;)

Man, wouldn't it suck if the title had some relevance to the film itself?

17. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    If Captain Tarpals isn't in Attack of the Clones, I'm going to leave this forum forever!

What do you mean, good?

Hold on, let me think about that again.

If Captain Tarpals isn't in Attack of the Clones, I'm going to stay on this forum forever!

Now you're scared. Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!! I should really stop drinking so much coffee.

18. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    oakessteve:

You can imagine people coming out of the cinema now, saying, "My favourite bit was when the Clones attacked," and a whole line of people shouting back, "Wellt thanks for ruining the film for me!"

LOL!! :D

19. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    I can't believe any SW fans likes the title, Attack of the Clones. It is far lamer than any fan-speculation title I ever saw.

Remember The Green Lightsaber calling Ep II ILM 2.0? Well, that is less insulting and degrading than Attack of the Clones. This is like the Jar Jar of Ep II.

If GL didn't want a deep title resonating with layered meanings, why not The Clone Wars? At least it isn't lame as all Hades.

Sometimes I wonder about GL's health.

EDIT: What is especially sad is that much of the healthy hate that met this title yesterday is already evaporating. What will the next title be? A Big Explosion? Painted into a Corner? No Refunds? :mad:

20. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Binary_Sunset:

Granted that "Attack of the Clones" is not the title any of us thought would be the one chosen for Episode II, but it conforms to the 1950's-esqe style that GL has used for all his films.

Sure, we all laughed at the initial title but when you think about it, it really grows on you fast. Yes, there will be lots of jokes about it but in the end most all of us will agree that much like most of the saga, it's brilliant.

21. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I agree with PatR that Lucas needs to start tokin the cheeba again. :) If his whacked out mind gave us the OT, and his sober mind gave us TPM, I say leave the kids with the sitter (during the day) while you finish the saga. Or ignore them at least. Stop letting them make up names and characters and pick up the bong (and pipe) and get down to business.

(note, this is not to be taken seriously. I in no way advocate getting high in front of your children. Wait until they are asleep. ;) )

22. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    "The Clone Wars" is a lame title for a Star Wars film.

Not as lame as "the Shadow Falls" though.

("Healthy hate"? Man, you really have gone over to the Dark Side, haven't you?! Yessss... only your hatred can destroy this title!!!!)

23. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I'm with TJ: SHOW ME THE WAR!!!

EP2 needs to live up to the name of STAR WARS by giving us some WAR!!!!!

At least ATTACK OF THE CLONES sounds like there will be war in it. :)

24. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    TJ & Hawk,
    Don't worry, there is a** kicking to spare in EII, but are you saying you don't want to see Natalie in a 'love story'?

Yeah, sounds good but I would prefer to see it limited. Obviously not as limited as it was with Han & Leia but certainly not like "Titanic".

Come on! What's not to like about EII?

I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. :p

Although I still can't decide about this title...

:::waves hand::: You have no problem with this title. :p

25. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Bah. I still say there will be precious little Clone Wars in Attack of the Clones, regardless of the lame title. If GL is stupid enough to choose this title, he is also stupid enough to have a movie entitled Attack of the Clones not have much to do with clones attacking. Look for a teenie love story instead.

:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.