main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman R.I.P (No Raven, you aren't allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    IMO, I think that they don't need to get rid of main characters to sell comics. That just gets people mad - like with Chewie and Anakin and Mara in the SW profics. You need new dilemmas, intriguing problems, and really bad guys with humor, action, and all that comic good stuff. But taking away THE Batman? The BRUCE WAYNE? Nuh-uh. That's just cheap.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Worked for Captain America.

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah but Cap had been awesome for 24 issues prior, and has been awesome ever since. Grant Morrison's Batman is not as universally loved as Brubakers Cap is. I love it, but I feel like I'm a minority, and I love Cap too.

4. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    People who don't like Morrison's Batman should be mouth shot. If anyone can be replaced it's Bruce. He's been training replacements for most of his career.

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    When does the next issue come out?

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    This Wednesday (if it's not delayed of course)

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of bruce not being batman, but i'll stick around and see how it turns out, at least for a while.

8. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Initial spoilers don't look positive highlight to read:
    Batman disappears in a helicopter crash. Talk about lame.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    If someone can tell me how that was a fate worse than death, I'll give them a pizza.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    So six months after the events of RIP, Batman is back in some fashion? Just not Bruce Wayne?

11. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I think the epilogue hints on Bruce's fate in a conversation between Bruce and his dad:
    "Imagine if Zorro came riding down the street right now on his horse!"
    "Ha ha. I'm not sure Gotham city would welcome such a masked man taking the law into his own hands, Bruce! The sad thing is, they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham"
    "What?"

As for who's Batman in prologue/ending of Batman RIP
    It's Bruce, don't forget that Hurt curses the cape and cowl "...then I curse the cape and cowl, as you will soon! The next time you wear it will be the LAST!" hinting at the events to come in Final Crisis

As for the ending of RIP, not sure what to think of it so far it's definitely not what I expected. Having said that one my favourite lines was:
    "You blinked. I switched the cups. Force of habit."

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    My thoughts... Bruce quits because he pretty much killed Dr Hurt and that's what he swore he'd never do.

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    " Zorro in Arkham"

Zurr-En-Arrh

you know, it's not the ending I expected, but I can't say I'm disappointed. The book itself was amazing, but I am perturbed that I will have to wait for the next two Batman issues and Final Crisis 6 before we know the whole story.

AND WHO WAS HURT?

14. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    You still don't know? It's been mentioned four times in the issue that he's the Devil :p

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Bruce doesn't quit because of Simon Hurt. He comes back as Batman shortly after to take part in the investigation of the death of Orion. He's then taken by Granny Goodness/Kraken and is held captive for a month. After that, he stops being Batman. We do not know if that was Bruce and Tim, Dick and Tim, Dick and Daimen, Tim and Daimen or Tommy and Daimen in Batman #676. What we do know is that someone is Batman six months later and as Le Bossu said, there were rumors of his appearence following that night.

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    The first month of Batman: Battle for the Cowl solicitations are up at IGN. Looks interesting.

17. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I hope Tim wins.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

So, a mysterious new enemy slowly works to weaken Batman by sending new and old enemies after him. However, it turns out that he's underestimated the Batman, and though sorely hurt, Batman is the one who walks away. Are we talking about the introduction of Ra's al Ghul, Bane, or Hush? As for the helicopter crash, totally taken from A Death in the Family.

Hurt himself was seriously lacking as a villain. "On screen" he was basically an idiot. The foremost example of this is his treatment of the Joker. No one overlooks the Joker or assumes he'll play nice, not if they like breathing. Just look at what happened to Alex Luther. I'll give Morrison credit for this much: while the appearance of the Joker is serious fail, the actions in the final part of RIP are dead one. So was Batman's escape from the coffin.

19. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    [image=http://i.livescience.com/images/BFTC_NYCC-Spread_comp.jpg]

I'm guessing the Batmen are (from left to right) Tim, Dick, Harvey Dent and Jason with Hush being Bruce Wayne.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, time to update.

-"Final Crisis" #7 revealed that Batman is alive, but trapped in the past with Anthro.

-Batwoman will star in Detective Comics following "Battle For The Cowl". Greg Rucka and JH Williams III are the creative team. Gotham Central characters will appear and Batwoman's origin will be revealed during the second arc.

-Grant Morrison will return in June. Paul Dini will also return, along with Dustin Nguyen.

-Batgirl, Batman: Streets Of Gotham, Batman & Robin and Gotham City Sirens will debut in June.

-Several one-shots and a couple of mini-series that will be published with "Battle For The Cowl". These include one-shots for Man-Bat, Arkham Asylum, Underground, Commissioner Gordon and two one-shots for the Gotham Gazette that will focus on four characters from the Batman line. Harvey Bullock, Leslie Thompkins, the Spoiler and a returning Vicki Vale. There will be two mini-series. "Azrael: Death's Dark Knight" focusing on a new Azrael who has gotten a hold of the Suit Of Sorrows and "Orcale" which picks up where Birds Of Prey ends, with Barbara facing off against the Calculator.

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

So, I completely forgot that Gaiman was writing Batman this month.

I finished the book and was like "Damn, when did Grant Morrison get so good?" And then looked at the front cover and was like "Oh, right."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.