main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best moments of dialogue from the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, they exist. There actually are some well written, competently acted conversations in the PT, despite what many would have you believe. For every "I hate sand" there are other solid moments that often go unmentioned. What are your favorites?

Mine would have to be the "spying on Palpatine" conversation between Analin and Obi Wan in ROTS. I love the way this conversation is written. Both characters are being put in uncomfortable positions, and they show it I. their words. Anakin makes a convincing case for why his task is morally wrong, and we get a key moment where he is given a valid reason to stop trusting the Jedi order. Ewan McGregor gives Obi Wan the perfect hint of vulnerability and unease, as he's essentially telling his best friend to betray is longest mentor. I love the way Obi Wan substitues "the council" rather than "I" at multiple points in the conversation. Overall if just flows really well and it's a moment that I feel adds a layer of depth to the story.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have you heard of the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin and Obi-Wan's dialogue before and after their duel on Mustafar

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Almost all of Palpatine/Sidious' dialogue is great. The way Ian McDiarmid delivers them is pure gold. The back and forth between Yoda and the Emperor before they're duel is a great Frank Oz/McDiarmid moment.

Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson had some good lines too. They had pretty smart writing and delivered their lines well.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    One of my favorites:

"Victory? Victory you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has."

I love, too, that it's the last line said in AOTC as it leads into a stunning ending sequence.

6. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Anything Count Dooku says is just gold

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Always remember, your focus determines your reality", to me, has proven to be the most powerful and the most poignant line, not only in the PT, or even just in Star Wars, but all of cinema -- and I keep going through life with this piece of beautiful wisdom at my side.

jc1138, TKT, Jedi Princess and 6 others like this.
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Anything Qui-Gon said. Liam Neeson could make "I gotta take a crap" sound epic.

9. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I like a lot of Obi-Wan's one liners in Episode III.

"I sense a trap."
    "Next move?"
    "Spring the trap."

And when he jumped into the hangar on Utapau, surrounded by battle droids, and just simply uttered,"Hello there." I think that's one of the most badass movie moments of the last decade. :D

jc1138, yodafan1031, Eryndil and 8 others like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No no R4 nothing too fancy. Love that line.

11. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Anakin and Obi-Wan's last conversation as friends. You do really see the genuine friendship and the reason Obi-Wan looks back so fondly on Anakin.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Three immediately come to mind:

1) Dinner in Anakin's house.

2) Obi-Wan asking Anakin to spy on Palpatine.

3) Palpatine and Anakin at the opera.

13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    There are some. I agree with the already mentioned Opera Scene and the Obi-Wan/Anakin scene.They were good. I find the Jango/Obi-Wan confrontation also quite entertaining and well done. They use only as less words as possible and try to stay just as polite as necessary. You can feel and hear that they both know they will encouter each other again in a very different scenario. I also appreciate Dooku's confrontation with Obi-Wan. He clearly uses his advance in knowledge in a very effective way and leaves the Jedi more confused than ever.

However, which is probably a bit more unconvential, I also really like Anakin and Padmé's last conversation. I find they treated the characters in a very realtistic appropiate way. Padmé knows already in the beginning - when she's honest with herself - that Obi-Wan was right and Anakin is indeed lost. But obviously she doesn't want to admit that and - naturally - the first thing she wants to hear from Anakin is that Obi-Wan was wrong. She wants Anakin to talk her out of truth she already knows deep down inside her.
    Obviously Anakin won't do her the favour and instead raves about his new powers and tries to rationalize all his misguided deeds. Nevertheless Padmé still tries to keep up the illusion that everything will turn out fine. I mean she doesn't even to listen to him and rather dreams about raising their child.
    It's only then, when Anakin sharply says "Don't you see", that she realizes the change and can't further ignore it. Anakin swaggers about his power and their option to rule the galaxy which is oviously something Padmé never wanted. It's against all of her ideals. That's when she steps back and accepts that there is no escape (" I don't believe what I'm hearing . . . Obi-Wan was right. You've changed.") and no help for Anakin.
    That's also the point when Anakin's sick justification of his actions falls apart ("I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me."). He did it for her and now she doesn't even appreciate it, she walks away instead. Of course he goes mental then, readjusts his already twisted reality and ultimately attacks her.

I just think that's very realistic and honest on a psychological level. I also like some of the exchanges that follow:
    I was think just well done althogether and "You're breaking my heart" is just classic "Star Wars" dialogue in the line of "I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescrue you!!!" :p

darth ladnar likes this.
  14. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise.

15. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

I particularly liked the part where he says,"Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself." It was all in his face in that close up. They never flat out stated that HE was the apprentice who killed him. But at that moment, you knew.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Aggressive negotiations are negotiations with a lightsaber."

The dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the speeder chase scene in AOTC, the opening of ROTS and their last conversation as friends.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Anakin and Obi-Wan's quarrel over the former being recruited to spy on Palpatine in ROTS is one of those moments. I would also include Anakin and Padme's "debate" about politics, during their Naboo picnic in AOTC.

19. Hammer_Head

Hammer_Head Jedi Padawan

Dec 8, 2013
    Obi-Wan's conversation with Padme when he tells her that Anakin has turned to the dark side.
    Also when Anakin says to Obi-Wan "Either you're with me or you're my enemy" I thought that this was another Lucas homage to Ben-Hur when Mosalla tells Ben-Hur "Either you help me or you oppose me, you have no other choice"
    The part of the Darth Plagueis conversation when Palpatine says "Funny he could save others from death but not himself" you could sense how proud Palpatine was of what he had done.
    I liked Obi-Wan's conversation with Jango Fett.
    Obi-Wan's conversation with Yoda about training Anakin "Without the approval of the council if I must"
    I also agree that anything Palpatine/The Emperor said was gold. He was in my opinion the one true link to the original trilogy. I thought it was kind of akward having C3PO and R2D2 play such a role in the PT. I thought maybe they could've appeared toward the end, but Palpatine you felt like you really had a star role from the original trilogy playing the same role. I loved every scene he was in.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I was just about to post this!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well post it again!

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise.
    2. Any line spoken by Christopher Lee
    3. Your focus determines your reality
    4. Hello there.
    5. [I should probably get back to work]

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    He does have a particular set of skills.

Revan_AnakinSolo likes this.
  24. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    When Palpatin'es Empire is born, chills run down the spine and all hope is lost as he rallys a frenzied and supportive public... Padme sadly laments, "So this is how Liberty dies...to thunderous applause." Out of all of Portman's line readings, that was her very best... nailed it.

I lamented the very same thing when Obama was re-elected. :(

mes520 likes this.
  25. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Lots of great lines in this thread.. I always liked some of the more subtle lines that have a lot of sub-text to them.

For example, when Anakin at the beginning of ROTS says after he kills Dooku, "I shouldn't have done that. It's not the Jedi way". Then when Mace Windu is in a similar position with Palpatine being compromised, and Mace says "He is too dangerous to dangerous to be left alive!" and Anakin replies with a similar line to what he said earlier and says "That's not the Jedi way. He must live.". Almost like he learned from his mistake earlier.

I find the mirroring of those lines interesting, because at the beginning he's still perceived as "good" when he uses the line to admit he's wrong, but later when he re-uses the line, he's sort of perceived as now veering to "bad".. but technically it seems like he's correct in both cases and maybe it's actually Mace that was falling to the dark side and Anakin was trying to stop it (but let it go too far, obviously).