main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beth's Oscar Commentary

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    I'll grant you that.. it's all egotistical toss in the Oscars...

2. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Did anyone see Alan Cumming on with Jonafon Woss before? Man, what an arrogant PoS! I don't care if he's ny countryman!

3. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Whoopi's outfit was a take on Satine's entry outfit in MR.

The more 'normal' ones were very tasteful. Unlike Gwyneth Paltrow's... Scary goth outfit! :(

I agree with you on the BAFTAs Cass... At least the Brits know a Best Film and Director when they see them!! :D

Oh well - there is always TTT!!

4. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Yes Andy. He needs his baws kicked!

LOL

5. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    the Oscars have no class

Oh come on...what's tacky about a red carpet lined with gold plastic mannequins overlooked by a balcony of village idiots who arrive early to practise screaming at people wearing free clothes?

6. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    And it wasn't red, it was burgendy :p

7. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    *watches thread die*

8. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    As much as the Oscars are fun to watch and pick over... It's no indicator of whether a film will be remembered in years to come...

I'm thinking of a film - was nominated for Best film, director and supporting actor - didn't win any of those... and yet 25 years later it's still one of the most loved and cherished films of all time.

If you don't know what I'm talking about - shame on you!! :D

LotR will have it's day - of that I'm more than sure. Maybe not with Fellowship but it will...

Comments people?

9. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Saturday Night Fever? :p j/k

10. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    This has, quite posibly, been the wankiest oscars for a loooooooooooong time. Sad thing is, it's set to go on.

I can Guaruntee you that Peter Jackson will win the best director oscar in 2 years time. How good or bad the films are makes no difference these days.

Still, there should be a decent best actor/actress competition next year - seeing as most of the PC elements have been taken care of this year. [face_plain]

:(

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm confused. I thought Best Supporting Actor was for the 2nd male lead and the Best Supporting Actress was for the 2nd female lead.

So why did Jennifer Connelly win supporting actress. She was the film's main woman!

12. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Because the film was focused on Nash (Crowe) and hence anyone else would be in a supporting role to him. That's how I see it...

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, Silence of the lambs focused on Starling, but Hopkins won best actor, not supporting actor

14. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    WHOA!

Sharon Stone's dress has no back! I missed that. I thought the mickey mouse ears over her breasts were funny enough.

15. REBELNUTS

REBELNUTS Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    Speaking of missed things... Stayed up to watch the Oscars & I remember Shrek winning best animated film. Jonathan "loves himself Ross" was so interesting that I woke up sometime later to discover Oscars were all over. Did I miss anything good?

16. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

It is a bit worrying that there was such a huge fuss over the best actor and actress being black. In this day and age!?

It should not be an issue. Was there so much comment last year when both winners were white? We are never going to have true equality when colour is still a topic for hype.

In conclusion:

Media:

"Hey, both the best actor winners were black!"

Me:

"Yeah. And...?"

--------------------------

And Russell Crowe should have won. Regardless of his attitude, he is an incredible actor. :)

17. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    True, but if Halle Berry is going to make the point as well, then what do you expect?

First she says the award will open the doors for the rest of her fellow "actors of colour" to get more opportunity, and then says she wants to judged on her ability not her colour. Well make up your mind girl!

What the real point is here is that black actors have not been cast in roles generally unless it specifies it requires a black actor. That's the part that needs to be levelled up regardless of what Miss Berry blubbed through on stage...

18. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah but she didnt think she would win it, did she? Thats why she was so shocked. If I was up against Judy Dench I wouldnt think I was gonna win it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.