main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Blatent drive for post #......er....what number are we on?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediJeff13, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, we can't all be like you, Dave....

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    My sister just saw the new trailer online (I didn't listen or look) and her only comment was,
    "I'm just glad I know that the Emperor dies."

3. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Aaaaah! Spoilers! *chuckle*

4. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Mwahahahahaha!!![face_devil][face_laugh]]-}

5. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Commenting that "the Force is stronger than the Nasdaq," USA Today observes that while the Nasdaq has dropped 2 percent since 1998, the price of a 1978 Darth Vader action figure in its original packaging is now worth $600 versus $205 dollars seven years ago, a jump of 193 percent. A 1978 Luke Skywalker action figure in original packaging can now be sold for $800, twice what it was worth in 1998. The action figures originally sold for about $5.00.

Bosh

6. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Farked Teaser Poster:
    http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1193002

Farked Movie Poster:
    http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1391862

Bosh

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    This just in from my darling baby sister:

Darth Vader: LUKE SKYWALKER, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING FOR CHRISTMAS.

Luke: How do you know?

Darth Vader: I FELT YOUR PRESENTS.

~H~

8. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    badum-CHING!

9. Lothos

Lothos Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    Haha, that's actually pretty good.

10. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    From Netscape News:

Lucas Glad to Leave Star Wars Behind

By DAVID GERMAIN
    SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) - A wilted monolith of establishment politics. An entrenched ruling class fearful of change. And one man who stealthily rebels from within, turning the system on its head and bending it to his will.

George Lucas' story is the benign reverse image of the palace coup engineered by the foul emperor of his ``Star Wars'' epic.

The emperor perverted a tired republic into a fascist state bearing the imprint of his boot heel, standard ``Richard III'' stuff for which history buff Lucas had many role models to study from ancient to modern times.

Lucas' accomplishments marked a one-of-a-kind revolution. He sneaked into a Hollywood that no longer had the verve or nerve to make the weird, giddy, goofy Saturday matinees of his youth. He found a lone patron among fainthearted studio executives willing to pony up cash for what was essentially an Arthurian sword-in-the-stone fantasy in space.

Then he went off and made the most rip-roaring blast of cinematic fun audiences had ever seen as 1977's ``Star Wars'' became the biggest box-office sensation of its time.

Where dollar signs twinkle, studios follow, and Hollywood has been lumbering behind Lucas ever since.

Science fiction and special effects suddenly were back in vogue, and over the ensuing 28 years, Lucas and his visual wizards have led filmmaking into a new age of virtual reality that made possible such effects extravaganzas as ``Jurassic Park,'' ``Titanic'' and ``The Lord of the Rings'' trilogy.

In the '70s, there was a ``technological ceiling'' over fantasy and science fiction films, even epics and period pieces, Lucas told The Associated Press in an interview at his sprawling Skywalker Ranch. ``The tools weren't there,'' he said.

As television chipped away at theater business in the 1950s and '60s, studios folded up shop on the effects departments that helped create splashy historical adventures and otherworldly tales.

``It's like trying to paint pictures without brushes,'' Lucas said. ``Hey, I brought the brush back and said, `You know, there's a lot of things you can do with this thing. I think there's real power here.' And by bringing that back, I think that was the biggest effect.

``Because it allowed people to do all kinds of movies that were sort of restricted because they were too expensive. That's not to say special-effects movies aren't expensive, but they're much less expensive than if you tried to do it in the old-fashioned way and have 10,000 people out in the middle of the desert with catering cars and all the things you'd have to have.''

Lucas - who turns 61 Saturday, just days before the May 19 debut of ``Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith,'' the final chapter in his six-film saga - never set out to be a Hollywood pioneer, a sci-fi maven or even a populist filmmaker.

A star pupil at the University of Southern California film school in the 1960s, Lucas adapted a short student flick he made into his feature debut with 1971's ``THX 1138,'' the first film from buddy Francis Ford Coppola's American Zoetrope outfit, a failed experiment meant to give young industry lions the freedom to make movies their way.

Starring Robert Duvall in a dark satire on consumerism and dehumanization, ``THX 1138'' baffled distributor Warner Bros., which dumped the abstract sci-fi drama into theaters. The film has gained cult status over the decades, largely because of Lucas' subsequent fame, but at the time, hardly anyone saw it.

Coppola challenged Lucas to try something light, so he followed with a comic drama based on his car-cruising days in the '50s and '60s.

With its ensemble cast and episodic story structure, ``American Graffiti'' was another puzzler for Hollywood. Yet its killer soundtrack, nostalgia factor and the appeal of such young stars as Richard Dreyfuss and Ron Howard caught the fancy of moviegoers, who turned it into a box-office smash.

Always figuring he would specialize in documentaries and strange art films, Luc

11. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Also from Netscape News:

Mark Hamill Reminisces on 'Star Wars'

By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) - Though the new ``Star Wars'' movie ends with Luke Skywalker as a baby, the Jedi knight grew up a long time ago.

Since immortalizing Skywalker, actor Mark Hamill, now 53, has spent most of his time working on Broadway (``Amadeus,'' ``The Elephant Man,'' ``Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks'') and doing cartoon voice-overs.

Last week, the DVD was released for 1980's ``The Big Red One,'' the critically lauded Samuel Fuller war film Hamill co-starred in with Lee Marvin. Hamill directed his own movie in 2004, the fictional documentary ``Comic Book: The Movie.''

Later this year, Hamill hopes to begin production on ``The Black Pearl,'' an adaptation of the comic book he created. He is currently setting up an animated series about a city apartment building, seen through the eyes of pets.

While in New York searching for animators for the show, Hamill took a moment to reflect on that galaxy far, far away.

AP: While you're in New York, will you visit the fans camping outside the Ziegfeld Theater?

Hamill: I don't know. I don't want to upset them. I've always been sort of fascinated with that. I'll tell you, the very first time I ever experienced the phenomenon, the day (``Star Wars'') opened in 1977, a car came to pick me up and take me to see the 35-millimeter version. ... I said to the driver, 'Can you go by Grauman's Chinese Theater, because I want to see what the marquee looks like.' I could not believe my eyes - there were lines around the block. I thought it would be a hit, but I thought it would be by word of mouth. I didn't expect it on the first day.

AP: What were your expectations? They couldn't have been for it to turn out like it has.

Hamill: No, of course not. But I was one of the optimist bunch and I'm on record predicting, 'This thing is going to make more money than ``Planet of the Apes.``' I was looking at it from the standpoint of whether our options would be picked up to do parts II and III. And I said, 'There's no way this will fail' - because it's got a sense of humor. It's the key element that most science fiction films don't have, which is a sort of arch sense of humor. Now, we're playing it completely straight, but it's inherently absurd. I mean, I can't tell you how much we laughed on the set to have Alec Guinness in a scene with a big, furry dog that's flying a space ship.

AP: What are your feelings about the movies finally ending?

Hamill: I've learned that the movies will never finally end. It just goes on and on and on and on. I mean, it's going to be in 3D, then it's going to be smellivision, then it's going to be a ride in an amusement park, then they'll come to your house and perform it with puppets on your lawn ... it'll never end! I accepted that a long time ago.

AP: Have you found it confining to be known primarily as Luke Skywalker?

Hamill: Jackie Gleason had ``The Honeymooners'' - there are other parallels to people that do things that sort of transcend everything else they've ever done. And you can either get frustrated and focus on the negative aspect of that or you can just let it roll of your back like water off a duck's back, laugh and move on. Because if I didn't believe that the most interesting challenges were ahead of me, I probably would retire. I've invested well, I'm not hurting for money. To me, 'Harrigan 'n Hart' (a musical Hamill starred in for its brief 1985 run) is one of the biggest triumphs of my career, and yet it was not considered a commercial success. But for someone like me who had never done a musical before to hold my own among people that had done 30 musicals, that really felt like an accomplishment to me. The Drama Desk nomination for best actor in a musical was just icing on the cake. Yea, I would have loved to have it run and maybe it would have changed my career because I love theater so much. I think theater has given me the opportunity to show what a character actor I can be.

AP: But when it's all said and done, do you have some p

12. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    These guys emailed CF today and suggested our members fill out this: Star Wars Survey from Pioneer Press. Your comments may be published.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/ppo-special?specialwhat=/special/surveys/starwars/starwars.html

Bosh
    "Put all the good stuff in here, apparently the n00bs don't look in here."

13. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
  14. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
  15. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Hmmm....
    as per Bosh's post above..
    Mark Hamill and I are the same age...

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    YAY! Today is national Donut day! Go to Krispy Kreme for your free donut!"

Breakfast
    All American Breakfast Month--September 1-30
    Better Breakfast Month--September 1-30
    Prune Breakfast Month--January 1-31
    National Egg Month--May 1-31
    National Eggs Benedict Day--April 16
    Oatmeal Month--January 1-31
    Oatmeal Muffin Day--December 19
    National Pancake Week--February 21-27
    National Pancake Day--September 26
    Waffle Day--March 25
    Maple Syrup Saturday--3rd Saturday in March
    National Maple Syrup Day--December 17
    National Applejack Month--October 1-31

Beverages
    Beverage Day--May 6
    Have a Coke Day--May 8
    National Hot Tea Month--January 1-31
    National Iced Tea Month--June 1-30
    Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day--February 11
    National Egg Nog Day--December 24
    To help the festivities on Have a Coke Day, go to Coca-Cola's Home Page

Appetizers
    National Caviar Day--July 18
    National Escargot Day--May 24
    National Deviled Egg Day--November 2
    National Fritters Day--December 2

Main Dishes
    National Noodle Month--March 1-31
    National Noodle-Ring Day--December 11
    Poultry Day--March 19
    National Chicken Month--September 1-30
    National Fried Chicken Day--July 6
    Turkey Lover's Month--June 1-30
    Bratwurst Festival--August 16
    National Pigs-in-a-blanket Day--April 24
    Something on a Stick Day--March 28
    National Crown Roast of Pork Day--March 7
    National Roast Suckling Pig Day--December 18
    National Roast Leg of Lamb Day--May 7
    National Barbecue Month--May 1-31
    National Hamburger Month--May 1-31
    National Hamburger Day--December 21
    National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day--November 12
    National Seafood Month--October 1-31
    National Catfish Month--August 1-31
    National Clams on the Half Shell Day--March 31
    National Shrimp Scampi Day--April 29
    National French Fried Shrimp Day--December 21

Fruit & Vegetables
    National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month--June 1-30
    Eat Your Vegetables Day--June 17
    Vegetarian Awareness Month--October 1-31
    World Vegetarian Day--October 1
    National Salad Month--May 1-31
    Bean Day--January 6
    National Baked Bean Month--July 1-31
    Spinach Festival--March 26
    National Zucchini Bread Day--April 25
    Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch Night--August 8
    Potato Day--August 19
    National Pickled Peppers Month--October 1-31
    National Grapefruit Month--February 1-28
    National Raisin Week--May 1-7
    National Papaya Month--June 1-30
    National Papaya Month--September 1-30
    Peach Month--August 1-31
    Eat a Red Apple Day--December 1
    National July Belongs to Blueberries Month--July 1-31
    Poisoned Blackberries Day--September 29
    National Fig Week--November 1-7
    International Banana Festival--September 21
    National Watermelon Day--August 3
    National Candied Orange Peel Day--May 4

Desserts
    National Dessert Month--October 1-31
    National Dessert Day--October 14
    National Pie Day--January 23
    National Pie Day--December 1
    National Pecan Pie Day--July 12
    National Raspberry Cream Pie Day--August 1
    National Pumpkin Pie Day--December 25
    National Cheesecake Day--July 30
    National Pastry Day--December 9
    National Applesauce Cake Day--June 6
    National Spongecake Day--August 23
    National Angel Food Cake Day--October 10
    National Lemon Cupcake Day--December 15
    National Fruitcake Day--December 27
    National Sacher Torte Day--December 5
    National Blonde Brownie Day--January 22
    National Macaroon Day--May 31
    National Sugar Cookie Day--July 9
    National Apple Dumpling Day--September 17
    National Plum Pudding Day--February 12
    National Tapioca Pudding Day--July 15
    National Indian Pudding Day--November 13
    National Butterscotch Pudding Day--September 19

Ice Cream
    National Ice Cream Month--July 1-31
    National Ice Cream Day--July 18
    Creative Ice Cream Flavor Day--July 1
    Ice Cream and Violins Day--December 13
    National Vanilla Ice Cream Day--July 23
    National Peach Ice Cream Day--July 17
    National Rocky Road Day--June 2
    National Spumoni Day--August 2

17. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Except for the fact that I refuse to click any banner ad so as not to justify their existence (especially at TFN) I'm way tempted to click the current marijuana banner ad. NICE!

Bosh
    "TREES!"

18. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Just curious but why "especially at TFN?"

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Ask me over a beer sometime.

Dave

20. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    that's always how it begins..."ask him over a beer"...next thing you know, you're tied up in his basement drinking motor oil and begging for mercy.

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I don't have a basement stoopit!

Bosh
    "Go frag yourself!"

22. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Deal......and I will be careful.

23. Lothos

Lothos Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    "You'll be DEAD!"

24. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    FREE PIZZA N' BEER!

If anyone's bored this Sunday, I have to paint my upstairs apartment to get it ready to rent. If anyone wants to come by and help I'll buy you your favorite beer (or soda) and whatever you want on your pizza. I live at 35th & Damen.

Let me know,

Bosh

25. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    yes, he'll buy whatever you want on your pizza...but not the pizza itself. so unless you fancy a jar of anchovies or some raw mushrooms for dinner, bring a few bucks.

by "favorite beer," he actually means "whatever rotgut swill is cheapest at the quik-e-mart."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.