main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks. That's what I ended up doing.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    So it worked alright? Thinking of seeing if I can do that for some of my Steam games like Batman:AA.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    It worked alright for me, because I was going to use it for a driving game, but my experience was that my left analog stick would frequently detect input to the left, even though I'm not pressing it. Going by the comments on the page, it seems that is a common problem that many experienced. It comes and goes. It works fine for a few minutes, and then the problem occurs, and after a few minutes, it's fine again. With driving games, one can live with it, because you're constantly moving anyway, so you only need to counter the slight lean to the left during when the problem occurs. But for any other type of game, especially platformers or FPS games, I'd imagine it would be agony. Maybe you'll be lucky and it doesn't happen to you. Installing and setting up only takes 3-4 minutes altogether.

4. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Sony in No Rush to Reveal PlayStation 4

I don't know how the rest of you feel about this, but I'm actually quite glad as I was late into the game with PS3, so I'm glad I won't be stuck on an abandoned ship. Plus I'm sure there's still some untapped potential under the hood of the good ole '3.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Classics HD: Ratchet & Clank Trilogy set for May 16th!

[image=http://xbigygames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/215251.jpg]

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Probably not a big deal for most, but I've been dying to play the old R&C's in HD ever since I got my PS3. Sad there's no Deadlocked (gets a lot of undeserved hate), but it still should be awesome. I go back to Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal on occasion, but it's been so long since I've played the original (can't find a copy that doesn't have the annoying Greatest Hits box cover). Looks like that'll change on 5/16. :D

Edit: Well apparently, according to PSBlog, May 16th is the European release date and North Americans will have to wait until Fall.

The collection will release this fall in North America. I know it?s a little bit later than the Spring European release, but it?s because we have something very special planned for our North American fans to celebrate the 10th anniversary, and we?ll share all the details very soon.

[face_thinking]

Also, In addition to a full 1080p HD remaster (720p stereoscopic 3D support) of all three games and the inclusion of three Platinum Trophies, we?re happy to confirm that the online competitive multiplayer from Up Your Arsenal will be included. Now you can check out the acclaimed multiplayer mode that many of you didn?t get to experience the first time on PS2.

That's awesome. Never played the multiplayer in UYA but I'll definitely be trying it out. Apparently the MP in Deadlocked was great, but we don't get that. :(

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Upping for our new member.

7. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    This thread is dead. lol

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm being tempted by the PS3 of late. Mostly it's because of the Final Fantasy games, what with X and X-2 getting a remaster and all. I'm just not sure it's worth spending a lot of money on a new console just for that. Is there anything that could convince me to get a PS3?

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The PlayStation exclusives would have to be it. If you feel you're missing out, go for it. If they're not important to you, don't.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The PS3 sold me on Uncharted alone, the exclusives are quite amazing. Plus Blu-Ray discs. :D

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends. The exclusives on PS3 I know of are:

Killzone 2 / 3 - both very good indeed, KZ2 being particularly intense.

Wipeout HD - If you ever played any of the series, it's a must - the Zone levels may hypnotise you though!

Flower - Download only brilliance and utterly unique.

Uncharted 2 - Very, very good but a lousy final boss battle, not yet tried Uncharted 3.

Yakuza 3 / 4: Old-school beat 'em up but the things you get to do to people in the fights is wonderfully over-the-top and they apologise to you afterwards!

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - Supposedly quite different from its XBox counterpart in a good way, still a hard bastard though.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Though its impact works in part due to the history - does have some very clever sections.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    You can play Final Fantasy 7-9 on the PSN if you're interested. It mainly depends on what your interests are. Most of the great PS3 games have been mentioned already, and most of the multiplatform games work well enough on PS3 now.

Infamous 1/2 are also quite good games, and Last of Us from Naughty Dog, the developers of the Uncharted series, is very, very good.

Also, in terms of JRPGs, Ni No Kuni and Tales of Graces (and the upcoming Tales of Xillia) are both very good too. Oh yeah, if you ever get a PS3, there's this game called Valkyria Chronicles that is beautiful and an excellent tactical RPG game too.

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm getting a PS3 Slim soon! Thought I'd mention that here! Need to put some money towards the PSX Final Fantasy games and the FFX/FFX-2 HD releases.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    moosemousse Nice! Time to get started on all those great exclusives, eh?

I'm pretty excited for the FFX/X-2 HD release too. Wish we'd get a specific release date. Haven't played those games for at least 6-7 years.

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is added to the "Instant Game Collection" this month for Plus-subscribers.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Just been given a Free PS3 fattie along with a handful of games.

Currently have

FFXIII
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Little Big Planet
    Streetfighter 4

and a handful of loans from some mates

Any suggestions on future purchases?

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If someone gave me a PS3, which I still don't have yet, I would immediately get Killzone 2, Killzone 3, the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Warhawk, and Heavy Rain, basically any well regarded exclusive.

Jedi_Matt, TrandoJedi and Life like this.
  18. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I think my PS3 is broke :(

Need to do some testing and troubleshooting tonight. If it doesn't work I've got no blu-ray :(

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bummer. I came across a thread on troubleshooting here on a Playstation forum. Note that the legal stuff is geared toward UK users. A Google search turned up other sites as well.

20. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    I`ve had a PS3 for about half a year, only got it orginally because I saw one cheap, I wanted a Blu Ray player and to play MGS4. Apart from MGS4 and GT5 I never really got around to using it a lot because I was sharing a living room and I couldnt connect it to the internet, so I mostly stuck with my 360.

Just last week I had to move home unexpectedly and crash with my brother, one of the benefits of which was access to the internet. Just signed up for the playstation plus trial and I cannot believe the amount of free stuff. Grid 2, X-com and Uncharted 3 all free immediately. I`m not an ardent fanboy one way or the other (grew out of that after the SNES/Mega Drive war), but with Microsoft`s antics of late and the crazy generosity of Sony It`s seriously making me lean in Sony`s direction. it`s revived interest in the PS3 for me, when I was honestly beginning to wonder whether I should have bought the thing, cheap or not.

21. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Turns out the hard disk drive has failed since the factory restore process couldn't detect the storage device.

I have had to do a factory restore previously, I thought it was just a software issue at the time but it was probably a sign of the impending failure.

I'd love to stick an SSD in there but I think I'll have to be a bit more conservative and get a standard 320 / 500 GB replacement.

So yeah... no blu ray at the moment!

Donaldson... I don't know if it's still the case (My 360 hasn't been unpacked yet since I moved) but Microsoft were giving games away to XBox Live members who had Gold accounts... I got Assassin's Creed 2 for free for instance, however I can't argue that Grid 2, X-Com and Uncharted 3 (Why did I bother buying it then?) are awesome propositions and a good mix of genres.

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think Borderlands 2 is also supposed to be available soon as part of that Instant Game Collection thing. Anyway, yeah, that's one of my favorite things about Playstation Plus, I always make sure to check in every few weeks to see what's available. You can only play those games while you're a Plus member, but usually that's more than long enough for most people.

The only slight problem is that you can't tell what will be available, but I just see that as the typical question as to whether to buy a game earlier and enjoy it earlier, or wait for the price to drop, or for DLC or the Game of the Year or Ultimate edition to come out with all the DLC included for a better price. Well, the PSN+ gives away free games which is a really good deal (well, technically $50 a year but still, a good deal).

Wasn't sure how Microsoft's free offerings were though- I think they offered Halo 3 at first, which is legendary but also kind of ancient by now. Though some of the games Sony offers are ancient too, but then they also include stuff like Uncharted 3 and Borderlands 2. Microsoft is probably starting to follow that strategy too though.

23. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    Yeah Matt, I saw that. Wonder where they got the idea?

The games arent bad, they`ve just been out for a while now. AC 2, Halo 3, Gears of War and Fable 3 among others have been released on games for gold. The one advantage over the free games on playstation plus is that once you have downloaded the game, it`s free for ever. It doesnt require a continuous subscription to gold to play.