main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book Club

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by FaceLoran, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banditajs

banditajs Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    I agree that we should start at the beginning of a timeline.

2. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    Okay, then, it appears we will start with Shadows of the Empire and go from there. How do we feel about meeting on the 2nd Friday, March 14th, at 7:30pm at Kenzi's and my apartment. If you need directions, PM me. Since that's just over 2 weeks away, we won't make it necessary to read the book before then. If you can, great, but it's won't be required. We have room for everyone, but not seating, so most of us will be on the floor. Snacks/food/drinks are welcome! ;)

3. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm all for this just let me know what we start with. I have a lot of older books. This was a great idea

4. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    Great! Shadow of the Empire on Mar 14th @ 7:30 pm. Who is the author?

I think we should get a list of who is bringing what. Just so no one brings the same thing. Roger said he would bring the cups, forks/knives/spoons and plates. I can make tabbouleh (if no one objects or would like me to bring something else).

Another thing, since there will be minors there, should we assume there will be no adult beverages?

Ice Queen

5. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    That is correct, Lisa, since this is an official TFF "thing", no alcohol, please. Thanks! ;)

The author's name is Steve Perry.

6. Jacen_Solo81

Jacen_Solo81 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Could I make one suggestion about our book selection. STAY AWAY FROM THE BLACK FLEET SERIES & THE CORRELLIAN TRILOGY :mad: !

Alright, I've said my peace.

7. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2002
    GREAT!!! I will make home-made rice crispy treats. See everyone there!!
    Oh, sorry Lisa, but yes, there will be at least one minor attending.

8. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    Luke, because some people participating haven't read any of the novels, we'll probably go through them all. I know, I know.. I'm dreading Darksaber and The Crystal Star, personally. :mad:

Shelbi, see you there, er... here. Anyway, Kenzi and I will try to come up with come up with something to keep your parental-types busy. [face_mischief] j/k

9. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2002
    Do they absolutly have to stay? LOL, I already know the answer to that question. If it's ok with you guys they can just sit in a corner and pretend to be invisible. Just kidding.

10. RogerRoger517

RogerRoger517 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I agree with going through all of the books. No matter how bad some of they are, each one has some interesting aspects to them that would make good discussion.

11. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    I don't want to hear it from anybody, but you'll have to count me out for the 14th. Valerie and I are going to be in OKC for the Toby Keith concert that night (see I need a cool hotel! ) .

Sithspawn! :mad:

12. QueenOverVader

QueenOverVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Ya know Jake, if you really want to attend the book club meeting, you could always pass those tickets on to us! ;)
    Mike & I really wanted to go to that, we have some friends going & I like Rascal Flatts as well as Toby. I could ask my friends tomorrow what hotel they're staying in, if you'd like.

13. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    Hmmm.... Toby Keith or Star Wars... what do I choose???? That's a toughie...

J/k, Jake. I'd choose a mini-vacation with my wife over a night with a bunch of sci-fi geeks anyday. Of course, my wife IS a sci-fi geek. :D Love ya, Kenz! [face_love]

14. pinata242

pinata242 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Being from Moore, I can't help but despise Toby Keith. I remember when the change a stretch of Eastern Ave. in front of my High School to be Toby Keith Ave. *shudders*

15. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    I'm with you Brent. Toby Keith is a dork. Most modern CM stars aren't worth the plastic their CD's are made on.

Ice Queen

16. GENERAL_FEL

Feb 10, 2001
    "Toby Keith is a dork"

And me makes how much more money than you do? [face_mischief]

Toby is actually one of the good ones out there these days. We've been fans of his since his first album and have followed him ever since. Sure there are a lot of Nashville wannabee's out there, but Toby's a good guy.

17. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    And me makes how much more money than you do?

How is that relevant, Jake??

18. GENERAL_FEL

Feb 10, 2001
    I wasn't being serious. I just don't call people who make more money than I do "dorks". Obviously some people like him and some don't. No big deal. To each thier own.

19. GENERAL_FEL

Feb 10, 2001
    Ooops...that's supposed to read "And he makes how much more money than you do?" , not "And me makes how much more money than you do?" .

My monetary intake has nothing to do with it. You see, I am a dork and I misspelled he as me.

No wonder that didn't make sense to you, Billy. I almost spit my drink when I re-read that just now. Sorry.

20. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    Having money doesn't make one a dork or not. IMHO. Look at Bill Gates...he can't even get a decent hair cut with all the money he has! He is one heck of a dork. Not to mention the biggest dork and over all weirdo, Michael Jackson! He makes more money thn many country western stars put together and beacuse of that he's not a dork? PLEASE!! By the way Jake, I wasn't saying Keith was a dork because he makes more money then me, or he is a bad person. He is a dork because he music is shallow, glitzy pop country. AND because his music is only go for one thing...producing all that money you so admire him for.

Ice Queen

21. RogerRoger517

Jan 1, 2002
    Jake I will take your back on this one. TK does some good stuff, I don't go to many concerts but he would be one that I would consider going to. Explaining to someone who isn't a country fan the appeal of country music is much like explaining the appeal of SW, it just is. Hope you have a great time.

22. banditajs

banditajs Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    I can make some cheese dip and bring chips.

23. GENERAL_FEL

Feb 10, 2001
    "By the way Jake, I wasn't saying Keith was a dork because he makes more money then me, or he is a bad person."

Lisa, Dear...
    I guess I miscommunicated. My fault. I know you weren't calling him a dork BECAUSE he makes more money than any of us (for that matter). Nor did I think you called him a bad person. You just don't like him. That's OK.

I just won't call someone who makes that much money a dork for one simple reason. Obviously a lot of people give he and his work enough value that he pulls in 5x or more money than what most normal people could ever hope to make in a year. Same with Bill Gates. Don't get me wrong, if I saw him on the street and didn't know who he was, I would call him a dork as well. But when you look at how his work has affected the world (good or bad), you gotta give the guy some credit. How much? Well, I would say enough credit that I would reconsider calling him a dork.

No big deal. I was just sharing opinion, as we all do here at times. I didn't mean to criticize anyone else's opinion. Everyone has the right.

24. RogerRoger517

Jan 1, 2002
    I just wanted to bump this up to make sure that Friday, March 14th was still on for the first ever, Tulsa Fan Force Book Club Meeting. Kenzi if you could PM your address I will plan on being there.

25. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    Okay, there isn't a chance that I will have the book read by this Friday. Not only that, I don't think I will even have it started. I know, I know. Last week I had two test and went out of town last weekend. Plus I have two test this week and my German midterm (which is oral and stressing me out!!!). It's not that I don't plan on reading the book, I just won't have it done by Friday. Next week is Spring Break and all I plan on doing in reading books that I want to read. No school books! So, should I skip this book club meeting (because I don't want anyone to spoil the book for me) or what? I would like to hang out, but don't want anyone to give out details of the book.

Ice Queen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.