main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jersey Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BellaSabrina, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerlynNY

MerlynNY Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2002
    Marie,

Didn't know you liked James Patterson. Right now he's one of my favorite Authors. I've pretty much read though ALL the "Alex Cross" novels already. The only one I'm waiting on is his latest, because I hate carrying around hardcovers. The last one I read was "The Big Bad Wolf."

Good stuff!

2. DarthYJTyranus

DarthYJTyranus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2002
    I also read Eragon. It got better as it went on and by the end I was into it. I call it a poor man's Tolkien. Still really impressive that the author was a teenager when he wrote it. I'm not dying waiting for the next one like I am for HP, but I will definitely get it. I will investigate some of the authors you all have discussed. Have any of you read stuff by Stephen R. Donaldson? I heard he was good.

JERRY T

3. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Dion,

I absolutely LOVE James Patterson. Big Bag Wolf was GREAT! It took me two days to read because I could not put it down. I asked for London Bridges for Christmas, but now that I got a ton of gift cards to B&N, I'll be buying that and 3rd Degree :) He's coming out with another book in February too...I just got my Literary Guild catalog and you can pre-order it!

4. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    really impressive that the author was a teenager when he wrote it.

Something really funny when I think about it: the first place I go when I'm looking for a new book is usually the young adult fiction area.

5. DropKickAnt

DropKickAnt Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    science fiction fantasy, specifically the lord of the rings section is where i start out when i look for a new book

the one thing about the 2nd Eragon book that annoys me is that its been like 2 years since the last one

6. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    True, itis annoying that it has been two years since the first Eragon book, but it was three years between the fourth and fifth Harry Potter books,

7. MerlynNY

Aug 27, 2002
    Glad to hear you like Patterson so much Marie :)

I, like you got a ton of BN gift cards (60 beans worth.. woohoo!), so that's one of the books I plan on plunking down on the table to read.

I can't stand hardcover books, but I'll have to suffer through this one because I LOVE the character of the "Wolf," and now that he's teamed up with the "Weasel," things don't look so good for Alex Cross.

Worst comes to worse, he can send NanaMama out there to kick all their butts :p

Let me know what you think of the book when you read it!

8. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Have you read any of the Lindsay Boxer series (1st to Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree)? I love them! I'm very eager to spend my gift cards already! I am a member of the Literary Guild, and I just got a new catalog yesterday. Of course, I'm going to wait until the holidays are over, because I did put books on my list.

Oh, and if any of you like current events books, I will recommend Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. That book totally opened my eyes to what goes on in the fast food industry. I actually stopped eating fast food for about 8 months after I read that book. I don't eat it as much anymore, because now I know the truth.

9. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    My mom just gave me the "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart (the host of the Daily Show). It's set up just like a High School history/government textbook. Frickin' halarious. I can't stop laughing as I read it.

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    LOL. Try working in the fast food industry for 15 years! I'll have to check out the book. I would bet a lot of the stuff in it is extreme cases of things happening. I know I didn't see much going on behind the scenes when I was working.
    I'm in the sci-fi book club myself so I can get all my SW books cheap. And I just love the omnibus editions of the paperbacks!
    Anyone read any of the Dream Park novels by Larry Niven?

11. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I just finished Northern Lights by Nora Roberts. For those non-trashy romance novel fans, I will recommend Nora Roberts to anyone. Especially the Witch trilogy. The book I just finished, however, was great, and it made me want to visit Alaska.

12. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Recently finished Jedi Trial. I'd say 3/5 (insert your preferred measuring object)
    For a lead-in to Ep3, Anakin is in it surprisingly little. But he does some major butt-kicking once he gets to the action...oh my, does he ever!

Just started Clone Commando:Hard Contact. ~60 pages in. So far it's ok. The clones sound too...too...what's the word? Human.
    They don't sound like clones, they sound like Joe soldier. Now I know these are clone commandos and they have more independence than Joe clone, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Making them this human takes away some of their coolness for me. But I guess if you have 4 clones as your main characters you have to do something with them, right?

13. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Does anyone have the order you're supposed to read the SW books in? I know there's different divisions of them, I was just curious. If I start reading them, I'd like to do it in order. :)

14. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I think most of the newer SW books have the cronological order of all the EU stuff listed in the front. Also you can probably just do a search on TFN for a timeline.

15. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I think I did that when I bought my brother the Young Jedi books.

16. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah most of the newer SW books have timelines in them, TFN book section is what I used when I starting reading SW books. I did it in chronological order as well.

On another note, Amreica:The Book was hilarious!

17. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I should go to the books section when I'm ready to start reading these books.

18. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Just a head's up if you're planning on reading all the books...there's a lot of them! :)
    I have a little difficulty keeping up and I usually get them within a month of publishing. But then, I read everything including the "kids" books.
    You'll find most of the EU stuff is meh, some really good, and a couple of stinkers (*cough*courtship*cough*).

Re: my comments on Clone Commando.
    I'm not sure what I was actually thinking...it's a book based on a video game ;) Last time they did that (SWG) it was not a good thing. But this has been better compared to that anyway! At least the Jedi Knight/Kyle Katarn books were decent.

19. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I recommend not reading the New Jedi Order books. I read up until midway through the 3rd one and was bored out of my mind. They suck. And I can't believe they wrote 20 of them in that series. No thank you.

20. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I've heard some complaints about the New Jedi Order books, so I might eliminate them from my reading.

21. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Well at least they are the newest ones so you can read the other stuff and not be missing anything in the middle since they come at the end.

22. DarthYJTyranus

DarthYJTyranus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2002
    That fast food author did an interview in that Super Size Me movie. The things he said alone would scare a lot of people away from fast food. I recommend the movie highly.

JERRY T

23. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I really need to rent Supersize Me. I started eating fast food again (not all of the time, but I'd say about twice a month) and I kinda want to NEVER eat it again....especially knowing what I know.

I'm having trouble wanting to pick up this book my mother lent me. It's called The Christmas Thief by Mary Higgins Clark & her daughter Carol. They do a Christmas novel once a year, and it normally takes me about four days to finish it. Yeah, I've been on page 28 for about.....two days. AHHH!

24. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Even though I mostly liked the NJO, I would definately recommend not starting there. It is alot of reading and it gets more soap opera-ish at times. There's an RPG sourcebook for NJO that covers quite a few of the novels which is like a Reader's Digest version. :)
    Just got Dark Rendezvous in the mail. Can't wait for that one! Yoda!!

25. MerlynNY

Aug 27, 2002
    I read all the NJO books, and while I agree, the storyline got kinda long, and at some points boring, I think it was defniitely a good read.

It brought back some characters in the SW Universe that made you sit back and think "Wow, where the heck did they find him!." Some other characters you were happy to see re-emerge...I wont go into specifics, but everyone's favorite Mandalorian armors up and kicks some Yuzahn Vong Butt for a couple pages :)

And of course you had some major characters that get killed off. Again, I wont go into that because I don't want to spoil things.

All in all, I enjoyed the direction that the NJO put the SW universe in. For awhile the books were getting a little stale... Some Part of the former Empire comes from out of nowhere... attacks the Republic... almost defeats them.. Republic wins.

The Vong took it to the Republic and squashed them, and not only that, they can stand up to the New Jedi Order, and eliminate them as well.

In the end, of course what's left of the republic re-emerges, but now the writers have something new to start with I think, and that makes me look foward to the post-NJO books.

Are they long.. yes. Are a few of the books boring... Yes. Does it get off to a somewhat slow start... maybe. Should you read it. Defintely. Worth it to see some Fett? Hell yeah! :)

Just my two credits worth :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.