main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BROKEN ALLEGIANCE Trailer B

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    This will be very entertaining when finished!

2. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Excellent trailor... I am truly impressed. I must say, while many don't like comparisons to other big name movies, this CANNOT compare with Duality, simply because they set out to do two seperate things. However, I think it can, and inevitably will, be compared to Knightquest, it is a given. I will not go one by one and give a review pretending I am TAC to a finished film, but I must say, this DOES look like THE MOST professional fanfilm to date. Everything looks stunning, I am TRULY, EAGERLY awaiting this movie... I can't wait to burn it to DVD and watch it on TV... I'm already thinking about how I am going to design the menu...

Cya
    MIke

3. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Great Trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like it's gonna be a good one......I really like the music you chose...ESB, theme very cool! ;-)
    Can't wait!!!
    MTFBWY

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Just to clarify, I don't mean to come off as someone "attacking" the sabers. Don't get me wrong. I thought the sabers were fine - I'm just saying there's room for improvement. It didn't distract me or anyhting, just an analytical thing I thought I'd point out as a possible place to improve upon in the future.

Over all it is a very good trailer - I rather enjoy watching it, but I know if I made a trailer for a project, I'd want people to tell me straight what they thought looked good and not so good so I could know how I'm doing and better decide what I should work on perfecting.

I meant no offense and I apologise if I sounded like a hater. :)
    I really am looking forward to this film!

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to say this in my original post...
    That force push is outstanding!
    If I may ask, what sort of wire setup did you use to achieve it?

5. DanielKnight

DanielKnight Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Nick I have to say that this looks amazing. You?ve done a fantastic job piecing this together, and it?s a vast improvement over the last trailer - and that?s not saying the last trailer was bad, it?s just that this one is? wow! Can?t wait to see the finished product. Keep us updated!

6. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I'm highly impressed. The picture quality is wonderful, the costumes are realistic, the actors, (from what I could tell), seemed in tune with the whole story.

I would give up CG effects like dazzling lightsabers and blah blah blah, just for some nice dialogue and some good actors. People seem to miss that part of the story, too absorbed with flashy effects. So far, this trailer has my hopes high for a film with some strong characterization.

But, guys, don't forget, this isn't Hollywood and it's not a motion picture. People work with what they have, not what they can get. At least, not if it's too expensive for a simple budget. Stop being so critical! :)

7. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    Love that Vidizen Films logo... and Bothawui... the Planet - such lovely textures and realistic atmosphere (must be a 4k image map on that one)... :D

Heck, gotta say I loved nearly all of the space shots... and Vader walking to his shuttle - supoib... The 2 dark Jedi look "right" together... Wonderful cinemaphotography... Nice pacing... The whole thing gave me goose bumps...

... and I'm not biased at all... :p

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Does Vader's helmet look kind of...I dunno...pug-nosed to anyone else? Kinda squinched?

Maybe he's practicing his dramatics.

"Lion face! Lemon face!"

Or maybe I'm just on crack. Votes?

M. Scott

9. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Looks very cool!!! I feel like I?ve been waiting just as long to see this as I have for ?Attack of the Clones?. Keep up the good work!

10. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Silly people....story and acting are good, but you also MUST have flashy effects....ha ha. Broken Allegiance, in my opinion, has some nice, BIG flashy effects. That force push....ohhhh, baby, that was COOOOLLLL!

11. icicle

icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2000
    Well I have to say that this is one impressive trailer. I don't think there is anything to complain about here! Sure you could nitpick small little effects and what not (and you all usually do) but it does what it is meant to do. Gets your attention and makes you want to see what the final movie will be like. This film looks very professional! (I just went to their website again and saw that Nick has mucho experience in the television and Film industry. This is apparent from the trailer!)

Now.....here is where you can slam me if you want. But.....if this film is anything other than awesome and professional then it will be a huge disapointment. I say this based on the fact that the production seems to have huge resources! I don't mean financially or money (could be very expensive..I don't know)....but crew and people. Based on the screen shots on the website I am jealous with envy of the sets and lighting and crew and all of that kind of stuff. After seeing those shots I was expecting an awsome trailer! (it was). And now I am expecting an even better film.

Again.....I bring up the whole fan film debate. Films are starting to cross over from the home based film to a more production house film. I fear the home, average user is going to start to get pushed out of the arena as these higher end films come to be the standard. All I know is that we got Seeds of Darkness out just in time in my opinion. With many of these new fan films being produced on a grand scale I fear that SOD was the last of the "shot in my basement with a few of my friends on the weekend" kind of film. I will be sad if this is the case.

Congrats on a great trailer!

Let the flames begin. (on my comments....not the trailer)

12. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Ooookay. About the sabers. Just leave them alone! Now, if Vid was showing a saber TEST, THEN would be the proper time to critique the effects. But when it's all completed and about to be released, it really doesn't matter if you say, "I think you could make some improvement on the sabers" or "That TIE Fighter didn't look to real" or even "I could STILL see the strings on the Star Destroyer". It's pointless. Personally I think the sabers (as well as... well, you know) are beautiful. Yeah.

Oh dear, I've done it again.... 8-}

13. Sarlacc_Pit

Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    All I know is that we got Seeds of Darkness out just in time in my opinion. With many of these new fan films being produced on a grand scale I fear that SOD was the last of the "shot in my basement with a few of my friends on the weekend" kind of film.

To be a film that you call "shot in the basement with a few friends on the weekend" you did an amazing job! I was just showing SOD to a few others from SOTJ last week, and everyone was impressed. I think it makes a strong statement that you don't have to have a ton of experience and crew to make a good film. Good job

And for the new BA trailer, it is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to this one, should be great. I love the sets, and the Bounty Hunter looks really cool. I can't wait to see this one!

14. darynvallon

darynvallon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2001
    "Icicle" :

"All I know is that we got Seeds of Darkness out just in time in my opinion. With many of these new fan films being produced on a grand scale I fear that SOD was the last of the "shot in my basement with a few of my friends on the weekend" kind of film."

I totaly agree with you on this matter. It's clear that BA is a very high budget SW fan film make by professional guys. I talked about that with friends a few months ago when Knight Quest came out ... and we arrived at the same conclusion than you ...
    I think ,in the future, see one of this professional fan films will be something "normal" and I'm afraid that the fan films really made by amateurs ,except the good film like SOD, will just "disappear" in a way ...

Well of course it's just an opinion.
    I never said I don't want to see professional film anymore that is not true ... I love movies like DUALITY , KQ and BA of course.

It's just ,like Icicle, I fear the film "shot in my basement with a few of my friends on the weekend" disappear.

Greg.

"Sorry for my bad English but I'm just a French guy who want to see AOTC and BA !!!"

15. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    GREG (darynvallon) ...... you couldn't be more WRONG.

You are falling vicitm to the classic, "they made a better film than me, so why bother" syndrome.
    KnightQuest Director, Joe Monroe, has stated on NUMEROUS occassions that he IS NOT a professional He is a FAN, just like you and I. Granted, he had access to some quality equipment, but you are no less of a filmmaker than he is.

I think the other issue that clouds people's minds is the issue of budget constraints. The plain and simple truth is that some people are able to utilize a larger budget than others. This does not make them any less of an "amateur" filmmaker . . . it simply means that they are able to utilize a bit more than another person with less of an available budget. CREATIVITY and INGINUITY, however, have NO budgetary constraints.

You are also discounting the value of ultilizing FRIENDS in the filmmaking process. It is my understanding that the creators of Broken Allegiance called upon various friends and contacts to assist them in the making of their film - from music, to saber fight choreography, to costumes.

Intimidation is the curse of those destined for failure.
    Ambition and Determination is the life-blood of those who succeed.

The bottom line is that is all comes down to the individual filmmaker's abilities and ambition to create and complete his/her film. Whether it be on a soundstage, in the Angeles National Forrest, or in a basement .... it does not matter. What DOES matter is that you utilize every resource that you ave AVAILABLE to you to its greatest potential, and do the BEST job you can with them.

A winner says - "It's difficult, but possible."
    A loser says - "It's possible, but difficult."

JediTAC

16. darynvallon

Sep 24, 2001
    Hey Jeditac why do you blame me ? what about Icicle ? he's responsible for all this ... I didn't do anything ...
    nan just kidding of course.

Well I TOTALY agree with you "JEDITAC" on everything you said about making fan films and all the stuffs like that you know ...

Of course not everyone can't have the equipment Joe Monroe used for KQ and I'm the first guy to say a filmmaker with no money and no equipment can do better than a filmmaker with a lot of money and very sophisticated equipment ... (remember the topic "amateur vs professional") ... and I agree when you say CREATIVITY and INGINUITY are the most important things in a film ... That's what I'm trying to do with my next film by the way ...

Jedi tac:
    "What DOES matter is that you utilize every resource that you ave AVAILABLE to you to its greatest potential, and do the BEST job you can with them."

Of course you're right ... No doubt on that.
    when I made "The Last Warrior" I was the first to complain because "Darth Lord" and I didn't have any ressources at this time and as you can imagine we do the best as we can ...

I don't have this syndrome you talk about ...
    Joe Monroe is a filmmaker and I'm a filmmaker too, we don't have the same budget that's all.

I agree with you Jedi. I totaly agree with your point of view.

17. icicle

icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2000
    I must disagee with JediTac slightly. You can do the best you have with what you have....however there is no way that a small ragtag group of guys are going to be able to match the production values of an experienced film crew. The knowledge of lighting and makeup alone are huge factors that will make a scene "look professional". So for filmakers who are inexeperienced and have little to no budget there is almost no hope of maintaining the higher level of fan films that are appearing. You just cannot get the look of a professional film working with a single camera man and a few " friends" who volunteer to act for free and have no experience.

Now....I think that everyone should still aspire to make their films and "learn" the art. However my original post is that this wonderful venue on TFN fanfilms will become filled with newer "pro" quality films shot by professionals. Soon TFN will start declining films that don't keep the same production vales as these. Then we all lose.

To clarify one thing......It states right on the BA website that the director has 10 years of television and film experience. Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds professional to me. I would not and do not consider this an amateur film. It is clearly from all indications thus far.....an independent film. Maybe not Hollywood quality but definitely a B rate film. And that is a compliment. We will see when the film comes out how it all fits together.

Comments?

18. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    Can't wait for this one!!

19. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Well that was certainly impressive, to say the very least. Something else to aspire to.

Jedi2016 and Netvudu, you guys listening? lol

Patrick

20. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I must agree with icicle!
    The BA website even indicates that the actors are professional too, it must be seen as a B rate film. I do enjoy seeing high quality production fan films like this, but it is making it difficult for those of us that are making ?basement films? to be accepted. TFN is already raised the standard for film submission in my opinion. I can say I?m starting to feel the heat for our film, and we are doing the best we can with the little we have. There must be balance to keep this fun for everyone!

21. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Aye aye aye ..... WHY MUST YOU ALL BE SO STUBBORN ???

Okay ... I'll take this one at a time . . . .

I do enjoy seeing high quality production fan films like this, but it is making it difficult for those of us that are making ?basement films? to be accepted.

Since WHEN ???

Look, those people who would judge your film against another are both DISRESPECTFUL and UNCOUTH in their ability to objectively and constructively view and review a FanFilm. The thing that EVERYONE is forgetting here is that FanFilmmaking is supposed to be ABOVE ALL ELSE .... FUN !!! Since WHEN did this all turn into a competition??

Each film should be (and MUST be) reviewed on IT'S OWN MERIT. People here should have the common courtesy to understand what went into making the film - INCLUDING the budgetary constraints, the equipent utilized, the locations available, and all other resources available/utilized.

This is a FanFilmmaking COMMUNITY .... NOT an "exclusive club." NO ONE is going to be "kicked out" and/or rejected for doing the best job he/she can do with what he/she has available to him/her.

TFN is already raised the standard for film submission in my opinion. I can say I?m starting to feel the heat for our film, and we are doing the best we can with the little we have. There must be balance to keep this fun for everyone!

Are you saying that FanFilmmaking isn't fun??
    THEN WHY ARE YOU DOING IT ???

What heat are you feeling??? Who is pressuring you to make the next TPM or ATOC ??
    Who is expecting you to outshine the FanFilmmakers who have presented films in the past??

Well, whomever they are ... they are MORONS.

There is a saying that I keep posted on my bulletin board . . . .

TO BECOME A CHAMPION
    STRIVE NOT TO SURPASS YOUR COMPETITION ... BUT RATHER, YOURSELF

THOSE WHO CONSISTENTLY OUTPERFORM THEMSELVES,
    WILL ULTIMATELY OUTPERFORM THEIR COMPETITORS.

The ONLY person you are "competing" against is yourself. And if you take the attitiude that you are losing because you think that there is some kind of STANDARD that exisits preventing the so-called "basement filmmakers" from being accepted and revered within the FanFilm Community .... well then, you have ALREADY lost.

If you truly BELIEVE that you are doing the BEST you can with the talents and resources you have available to you, and you take that drive and determination ALL THE WAY .... then no RESPECTABLE and DECENT/MATURE person will fault you for giving it your best shot.

But by the same token, take whatever constructive comments and/or suggestions you receive with a grain-of-salt and LEARN from the experience.

IGNORE those who would compare your lightsabers to DUALITY or KRONKE ...
    ACCEPT those who would offer an alternative suggestion for your next endeavor.

IGNORE those who would compare your film to KnightQuest, Tydirium, Bounty Trail or what-have-you . . .
    ACCEPT those who would offer constructive comments and/or suggestions for why a particular aspect of your film may not have worked for them, and how it might have otherwise have been achieved.

NO ONE here is the ALMIGHTY AUTHORITY on FanFilmmaking.
    Those who would proport to be are living in a fantasy world of their own minds.

THERE IS NO FAILURE ..... UNTIL YOU FAIL TO KEEP TRYING.

JediTAC
    :D

22. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Boy that bold type is really hard to read on mass JT.

23. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    That was the most ludicrous trailer I've ever seen!
    Absolutely no production value whatsoever...err, waitaminute, I've been looking at my own tralier again darnit!
    O.K. here it is...
    :::looks at the trailer and picks jaw off of the floor:::
    Ummm, that was very nice :D

24. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Um, Tac? You're typing in bold again. ;)

25. darynvallon

Sep 24, 2001
    OK OK "JEDITAC" CALM DOWN EASY EASY !!!!
    LOL .....

Frankly your agurments are very interesting and I agree with you in many ways but I think Icicle try to make you understand that "low budget" film or "amateurs films" (I suppose you hate this words lol) don't have the equipment and the money to make GREAT movies like BA or KQ. So soon, in a way, this film will be underprivileged in comparison with "professional's film" ....

ok ! ok ! It's is opinion ... just accept it ...

I know a filmmaker like Nick Hallam is a FAN like us but with all the money he had for this film is used professional's equipments so we can say this is a "professional's production". I think it's clear. nevertheless like I said ; and this is where I disagree with ICICLE ; be a "amateur" doesn't mean you will always make good films and be a "professional" doesn't mean you will always make GREAT film ... This is not true ... and this all the difference between them.

We see that when SOD came out ... A lot of my friends prefer watching SOD than KQ ...
    and KQ is consider as a professional production.

... I think the most important thing is to continue to make the best quality fan films as you can with your own ways ....
    We are all agree with that ...

"Sorry for my bad english but I'm just a French guy who want to see AOTC and BA !!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.