main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [BSG] Calling the Ragtag Fleet

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LadyPadme, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    My goodness, I'm late on joining the bandwagon, but I can't believe that there's no thread for Battlestar Galactica fanfic!!! :eek:

A couple of items for discussion:

1) New BSG or Old?
    2) Who are your favorite characters?
    3) What are your favorite ships?
    4) What drew you to BSG?
    5) Do you think they'll ever find Earth, and if so, what will it look like?
    6) WHO IS THE FINAL CYLON? What's your bet?

...gosh I think I need to bring out my BSG sock. * rubs hands together gleefully *

2. Boomergirl

Boomergirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    Okay, so as my BSG sock, here I go:

1) New BSG or Old? - Sadly, while I really enjoyed the original BSG back in the campy days of the late '70s, it really was too campy a show. While there were great premises for stories, and even some great episodes, I think the new BSG just does such a better job of bringing up realistic, gritty situations and making it clear that there aren't necessarily situations where it's clear cut who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. That's what I love about the show.

2) Who are your favorite characters? - I love Adama and Roslin. I think their performances are spot on week after week. I loved Baltar in Season 1 when he was so kooky, but I've liked him less and less as time has gone on. I also love Boomer/Athena. And Tigh. I never knew a man could show so much expression with just one eye!!

3) What are your favorite ships?: Roslin/Adama, Sharon/Helo, and creepily enough Tigh/Six. :p

4) What drew you to BSG? : Well, I was a fan of the original, because, let's face it, who wouldn't love Dirk Benedict with feathered hair? So, because I liked the original, I was drawn to the show when they announced the remake. The BSG miniseries they did just blew me away.

5) Do you think they'll ever find Earth, and if so, what will it look like?: I think they'll find Earth. But I hope it's not that scorched thing we saw at the end of last season. Also, just nothing as sadly idiotic as what happened when the ragtag fleet found Earth at the end of the original series.

6) WHO IS THE FINAL CYLON? What's your bet? : AAARRGGH. That one's the hardest for me. Obviously, I think that RDM is going to use someone that we already know. I think it'll be someone that should be above suspicion, like Adama or Lee. If they could come up with a plausible explanation, I'd buy it. Or perhaps Roslin...who'd have to wonder if she needed to space herself. :p

Any other takers?

Oh, and what kinds of fanfic would people like to see written? Shippy stuff or impossible situations like all their episodes?

3. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    NYCitygurl.

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

1) New BSG or Old?
    I saw a couple episodes of the old BSG and loved how awful it was at times. The Cylons were especially bad. [face_laugh] Most of all, I got a kick out of Jane Seymour playing Apollo's wife. But I love the new series - every episode just sucks me right in.

I love Lee because he's brave enough to alienate his loved ones to do what's right - he doesn't lie to himself about what he is. Helo, because I think he has the biggest heart and most compassion. And Starbuck, because she's so badass. :p

I always liked Anders as well, poor guy. And I miss Kat.

Hey, I'm not the only one who likes the twisted Tigh/Six rapport! Not a big fan of Adama/Roslin - wish they'd stayed just friends. Starbuck/Anders, because they have all kinds of issues to work out, plus Starbuck/Lee.

4) What drew you to BSG?
    I tried watching an episode once and couldn't follow it. About a year later, I caught a rerun - saw only the second half of the episode, but wow. I couldn't stop watching, it was so compelling. That was just before the third season started, and thankfully there was a recap episode to catch me up.

Geez, I hope they find something more on Earth than the stinkpit they landed on. :p Otherwise, the rest of their lives will suck big time. I think they'll find a place; it may not be their ideal Earth, but it'll be close enough...unless that whole "Kara Thrace will lead them to their doom" is about to come true...(what is that about?)

For a while, I thought it would be Roslin, but that seems too obvious, especially after D'Anna tried to scare her with that false revelation. I'd like to say Lee, but I feel like his defense of Baltar wouldn't mean as much if he'd been a Cylon the whole time.

Doesn't it have to be someone D'Anna has already met? When she "saw" the fifth, she acted like she recognized the face. Maybe it's Gaeta - didn't she see him on New Caprica?

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Darn it, you found me! Wait, I mean, of course I'm not! :p

I actually don't even know enough about BSG to tell if being the final cylon is a good thing or not :p

6. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Trust me, those of us that watch BSG aren't even sure if it's a good thing or not.

7. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    1) New BSG or Old?
    I have the Old Episodes and the New Ones (those released) on DVD and I like both. Each has their specific good parts and bad, although the New BSG definitely has less than the Old BSG. I have always liked the Cylons even if they were just big tin cans with a cool red laser beam. Of course, the new designs are better, but considering that the original came out in the late 70's, I think that Larson and Co. did a great job.

I am going to say Gaius Baltar. I just love how creepy and religious he is - and he doesn't lie to himself about what he is (he just spreads his word to the masses).

I always liked Tigh and now that he is a Cylon, I am definitely more interested in his back story.

Number one has to be Tigh/Six. They are going to have a Hybrid. Extremely interesting and compelling. I think that the Adama/Roslin story has almost taken too long for them to do too much with now. We know that she will eventually die from her cancer, but why does it always take something bad to happen for Adama to now care for her so much. Starbuck/Anders I think will separate because he's a Cylon. Now, Starbuck/Lee I see them being together at the end of the series.

4) What drew you to BSG?
    I watched the Old Series on DVD and even though some parts are campy now, it is still a very good show considering what was available to them at the time. Now, with the New Series, they've totally turned most of the characters a complete 180; Starbuck is now female, Boomer too, and even Cain. So, they've definitely changed things for the better with these interesting switches plus the whole final five Cylons as well.

Well, they already found it, so Yes. And it's post-apocalyptic so that's what I expected it to be. It will be interesting to see who wants to stay on Earth and who doesn't now.

Either Zack Adama or Tom Zarek are the best bets if it's another male. For female, Anastasia "Dee" Dualla, makes to me the most sense.

8. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Edit: Sorry, strike that. I asked a stupid question.

9. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    O hai Nuggets...

1) New BSG or Old?

New, definitely. The old one never had towel malfunctions with pretty CAG's. Plus the old one had a robot monkey dog. Who in the hell wants a robot monkey dog.?

Lee Adama in the first two seasons, before they wussed out his character and made him Kara's Love Schmoopie. Now I lean more towards the elder statespersons, Papadama and Roslin. I've also been fascinated by Six and Leoben since the first season. How strange to make the bad guys just as complex and interesting as the good guys...in some cases, even more interesting.

The Galactica herself...there's something about old ships...

4) What drew you to BSG?

At first, it was a simple follow through in the progression of Jamie Bamber's career. I started out on the B Train when he was Archie Kennedy in Horatio Hornblower, and was really curious to see him in a space environment. (I was already hard-wired for this genre...and another blue-eyed flyboy couldn't hurt). I came for the eye candy, I wound up staying for the story lines. The first two seasons had all the lovely symmetry and sense of wonder the prequels lack (my favorite scene out of the entire series is in the Tomb of Athena. Looking up into the sky and seeing all the constellations that are so familiar to our human eyes was incredible).

They already found Earth. If that ruined mess turns out *not* to be Earth, I'm personally destroying all my DVD's and mailing the pieces to Moore and Eick so they can stuff them someplace warm and uncomfortable.

Everyone on the show, not just the ones who know it. :p (Well, Richard Hatch said that at a recent convention, according to someone on Battlestar Blog. It was a joke...I think).

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    1) New BSG or Old?
    Honestly, I haven't watched a single episode of the Old BSG.

This is a hard question to answer, because I think every character is great. They're so completly normal, which some sci-fi shows lack. When I started watching BSG I didn't much care for Roslyn; now I think she's great. Baltar is an interesting character as well. I loved how Lee grew into the character he now is. See, I love them all. :p

Cylon raiders, of course.
    If by "ships" the pairing is meant -- well, Adama/Roslyn would be nice. The two of them are just meant to be with one another.

4) What drew you to BSG?
    It took me almost a year to watch the first season. My brother kept pestering me to watch it and then I got hooked. You watch one Episode and you need to know how it continues.

I'm pretty sure they'll find Earth and I hope it's not the Earth they found in the last episode.

Good question. For a while I thought it was Starbuck. Roslyn would be too obvious. And actually don't know. I'm all for a surprise.

I think I'd have a very hard time writing BSG fanfiction, though. The series is so intense and at times dramatic, I doubt I could find the words to bring it over.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    1) New BSG or Old?
    There is only one BSG in my book and that is the reimagined series.

Who are my favorite characters? Thats impossible as I love all the characters on the show with the exception of a rare minority, they all bring something unique to the show and not a single character is perfect, they all their flaws that they must deal with on a daily basis. With that said though Col. Tigh has always and probably will always be my favorite character. I don't know why I liked the man prior to S3 but I did, and after S3 he has grown on me more than I thought he could. He brought the people home off of New Caprica using methods that everyone disagreed with and his resolve to remain the man he wants to be after finding out he is a skinjob. His most endearing feat so far in my opinion is offering to airlock himself to save the fleet.

By far my favorite ship is the Beast. Yes thats right good ole Pegasus may she rest in peace. The Bucket is a damn good ship but the Beast is where my shiply love resides. Maybe because it was commanded by Admiral Cain, I dunno. But she died a death worthy of a Battlestar. Pegasus I salute you.

4) What drew you to BSG?
    What drew me to the story? The people drew me to the story. I don't care about the special effects or music which is damn good, oh so good, but its the human element that interests me and keeps me coming back week after week. In fact I love dressing up in my Colonial costumes and partying it up at conventions!

Do I think they'll find Earth? Yes I do and I think it will be a radioactive rock.

Who do I think the final cylon is? I think it'll be Billy or someone else they previously killed off as I think they'll throw us a curve ball and surprise the hell outta everyone.

12. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Just had to jump in at least once. ;)

1) New BSG or Old?
    I'll be in the minority here but....I so adore the old series, far more then the new. There's just something rather charming about it, despite some things. (Let's not discuss the dog.) Not that the new one isn't awesome, I just haven't seen much of it.

Starbuck and Apollo, just can't beat the boys and their friendship. Plus it's just fun how they work off each other, Apollo's 'sainthood' against Starbuck's 'corruption'.

The Galactica obviously. Though, if we're talking ship ships, well... I'm not allowed to say. ;)

4) What drew you to BSG?

Not sure really. I've just always liked it since I saw it as a rerun on the Scifi channel. It was cute, a bit dated, but it's the characters mainly that gets me. It may not be as realistic, and can be a bit wanting in some areas, but the characters are well built in most of the episodes, and there's great workings between them.

I think they will, but I severly hope it's not like what we got at the end of the orginal series. Please, anything but what we got there.

I've decided not to risk it for the time being. ;)

13. sengaeriel

sengaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2007
    1) Definitely the original BG! I like the new one, but the classic holds a special place in my heart. I even write fanfic based on the original series.
    2) Starbuck (Dirk Benedict), Apollo (Richard Hatch), and Bojay (Jack Stauffer).
    3) The original Galactica, although the new Pegasus rocks!!
    4) I was hooked on BG the first time that it aired, which was September 17th, 1978, almost thirty years ago!
    5) Yes, they found Earth (TNS). It's Earth. Trust me. As for the classic, I know that Richard Hatch has no plans for the rag-tag fleet from the original to find Earth in his novels.
    6) The final Cylon is Tom Zarek. I've been saying it for a year. I'm sticking with it.

14. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow...anyone else interested in BSG? Especially since the amazing finale?

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Time to kick this to the top!

16. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I am a big fan of BSG and I can't wait for the prequel series, Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome this fall! We'll get to see a young Adama as a cadet fighting against the Cylons!

17. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    How did this get buried? :p

So I'm about halfway through Season One of BSG (my boyfriend is a huge BSG fan) and I've watched a few episodes of Caprica.

1) New BSG or Old?
    I haven't seen the old one, but from what I hear (late 70s camp!) it might be right up my alley.

Dr. Gaius Baltar is becoming one of my favourite characters of all time. He just seems to represent everything that's wrong with humanity, in the funniest way possible. My second favourite is William Adama, and third is Kara Thrace.

Gaius and the Cylon. :D

4) What drew you to BSG?
    Again, my honeybunny loves it, so I thought I'd check it out. And what I love about the show is that departs from mainstream sci-fi in a lot of interesting ways. Even the battle scenes' musical scores are an effective departure from the standard. There's such a great sense of claustrophobia that suits the idea of humanity being on the verge of extinction.

Given all the Greek gods in Caprica, I get the sense that they will and will colonize the planet, give up most of their technology, and become humanity of about 4000 years ago.

William Adama?

18. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    1) New BSG or Old?

New. I haven't watched the old yet, but I have a feeling I don't want to.

Oh man, so many. First off I would have to say by far my top favorite character is Kara Thrace. I loved her since the moment I saw her, and didn't stop. She is such a broken character that I can relate to, and by far she is the top one to give me plot bunnies.

Second would definitely Lee "Apollo" Adama. Not only is he good looking but he has faced so many quandries and other stuff that he slowly grew on me.

I also love Helo, Anders, Papadama, and Roslin. Even Leoben and Six grew on me toward the end.

Physically, Galactica. She is definitely one of my favorite ships of all time.

Who I ship- I am a big Kara/Lee shipper. I saw the attraction from the miniseries and it never ended for me. I also love Adama/Roslin.

4) What drew you to BSG?

The characters. They are so well developed and so broken that I adore them. they are really what make the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.