main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, this video made me think of you a couple times.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What, because he starts off by saying "I'm a huge geek?" :p

*watches more*

Oh, so that's what that TED stuff that people keep trying to make me watch is about. It was pretty interesting -- especially the part about how languages frame your perception of reality. I really think that's the case. I'm also amused that he learned Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit -- I learned the first two, and really want to learn the third (along with a bevy of other languages).

However, I feel compelled to point out that his claim that "if you only knew the power of the dark side" is a "present counterfactual optative subjunctive" is a contradiction in terms. The optative is definitionally an independent use of the subjunctive, whereas counterfactuals depend on clause markers. It's just a present counterfactual -- there's an optative sense to it, but the fact that it's in a conditional statement means it cannot be an independent use.

jSarek likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I so need to get Fred Perry's Steam Wars when it comes out in TPB
    [​IMG]

TrakNar and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    hm i might be tentatively down for this.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Jello, TED talks are really nothing more than a person getting on stage and talking about pretty much any idea. Naturally, they can range from fairly interesting, to mind numbingly boring (our professor made us watch one about ocean pollution; by the end I was almost compelled to go pollute it myself). I don't watch many myself, but they can be interesting.

As for the TOR group, it sounds interesting, but I have such an erratic schedule that I feel like I'd come to be a detriment to the group.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, yeah, but do you have a TED Talk about it? [face_talk_hand]

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Unless I want to order from the UK, that isn't an option until next year.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Two of three exams done. Guess it is time to start writing the paper I have due tomorrow.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Look at that snow.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Sounds like we're getting the beginning of a party together here. I've re-registered under the same name I've got here, so, if everyone's serious, we should pick a server and faction and stuff. (I have no idea what goes into putting a party together 8-} )

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Cynical_Ben

Revanfan1 and I are both on the Ebon Hawk server. I don't care about faction TBH, I'll probably go either Agent or Sith Inquisitor if we do Sith Empire. Kinda want to try Sith Assassin, as I've never played Assassin/Shadow.

I just created a new Assassin and did a single starfighter match and leveled up from it. I was watching a vid with the devs playing starfighter and they said it gives equivalent XP as Warzone PVP.

The only potential problem is that Galactic Starfighter is only accessible to subscribers until January, when it becomes available to preferred members (F2P that has either subscribed at one point or bought cartel coins), and then in February it is accessible to all.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a Jedi Knight and not-Imperial Agent on Ebon Hawk. But I almost never play so... :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What is a Not-Imperial Agent?

Are you giving commentary on the Sith "Empire" by comparing it unfavorably to the FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE?

Revanfan1 and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I love the stealth classes. Not only are they extremely fun in a party, but they're by far the best soloing class; nothing like sneaking through an infested area without having to deal with all the creatures 30 levels below you that, for some reason, think they can take you.

On a similar note: I think I finally get this "PC master race" thing. I finally got the time to set my PC up to play through my HDTV... man. Maybe it's just because I have a crappy monitor, but I started Dragon Age Origins, and it's amazing how much better it looks on PC than it does on console, especially with the insanely high resolution. I can tell I'm going to enjoy my ghetto Steam Machine.

And I imagine he means a "light side" Agent. I haven't tried that myself, but as much as I like the concept of a genuinely good, dedicated agent that's fighting for the wrong side, I can't help but feel you'd just come off as an idealistic tool.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've never played a stealth class -- and I mostly play solo.
    [​IMG]

And I haven't played Xbox or PS3 in over a year thanks to my new PC! Xbone and PS4? Meh.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not exaggerating when I say playing a stealth class can potentially save you dozens of hours. Which is nice.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My most advanced two characters -- a Jedi Consular and a Jedi Knight -- are not stealthy. Went sage with the former, and latter can't stealth at all. But why would you go invisible when you get such pretty outfits and ornate saber hilts? :p

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or live in Europe

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Gorefiend likes this.
  24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I actually like paper money. This new money is weird.

[​IMG]
    I'd be there, too.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [haven't had one of these in a while]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.