main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It wasn't a slagging G! More a comment that kids will go: I've got X number of games! The better option is to have great games!

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I was a spoiled kid that had an NES, an SNES. a Genesis/Mega Drive (and 32X :(), a Sega Saturn :(, a PSX, an N64, and then finally I had to buy my own damn Dreamcast etc, also got PS2 and Gamecube, then Wii, 360, and PS3.

But this console generation can pound sand, I'm sticking to PC, which I was pretty much a gamer for throughout the 90s and early aughts, up until I got the 360 really, and then slipped back into it about a year or two ago.

BUT I always wanted the 3DO and the Atari Jaguar and all those esoteric and probably garbage consoles.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I was somewhat spoiled, having an NES (actually my grandpa's), a Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, N64, Dreamcast, Game Gear (before it was stolen), Game Boy Color, and a GBA (most were my brother's). Currently, the only console I own is a 3DS, while my brother has the Dreamcast and an Xbox. The Game Boys are in storage somewhere.

My brother still wants a 3DO.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My first console was an SNES -- I wanted the TaleSpin game for Christmas and never got it. That was when I decided Santa was a lie. :( But that's alright, because I later ended up getting some pretty awesome games for the SNES like Earthbound (borrowed) and Lion King (which was awesome, but impossible).

To play NES or Sega Genesis, I'd have to go to friends or family. Gave me a reason to actually look forward to family events. :p

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Getting my mother to buy a video game was like pulling teeth, so my typical experience was to get two or three games for a given system and play them to death. That's why I can beat Mario 3 and Sonic 2 with my eyes closed but I've never touched Zelda or Mega Man.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The first game I ever beat by myself was the Duck Tales game for NES. I remember the day fondly!

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I had but never beat Duck Hunt and Mario 1. My early childhood was a succession of failures like you would not believe.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hyperstone Heist on the Genesis for me.

Though, beating Battle Toads two-player co-op was also a well-earned victory. Even with the Game Genie.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I never owned a console system. For a long time we had an obsolete TV to which we couldn't hook anything up (so we went without a VCR a long time, too). Of course, this always meant that I played my friends' NESes and Sega Genesises with great relish whenever I had the chance—especially anything either Mario- or Zelda-related (not forgetting, of course, the inimitable Sonic). I never had any console-type game system until my late 20s, when my husband and I had a GBA (that was the square one, right?) and then a DS, but we only had a few games for each. (I still haven't quite finished Zelda: Spirit Tracks!)

This might be why I've always tended to lean toward PC type games. I cut my teeth on the Sierra King's Quest games in my early years, then on to the Myst series and various knockoffs thereof. I'm fond of a good adventure game now and then; in particular, I've quite enjoyed some of the recent offerings from Wadjet Eye Games (www.wadjeteyegames.com), which are not only technically and artistically top-notch but also very thought-provoking story-wise. Of course being a Mac user is limiting, but I guess it keeps me from frittering away too much time!

And of course I also enjoy the occasional Inform text adventure: Curses, Anchorhead, Jigsaw, Lost Pig, that sort of thing.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Almost forgot that I sucked at King's Quest (V?) too.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Of the Myst-style graphical adventure games, my favorite was Drowned God. I highly recommend it.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I recently got Gemini Rue but I haven't had the time to play it.
    The cover to that game scares me. Along with Whitley Strieber's Communion. Damn gray aliens.

TrakNar likes this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    DigitalMessiah, Gemini Rue is excellent! Very interesting storytelling and very deep psychologically. Highly recommended by me (FWIW).

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...Now I want to go play Pokemon. My Mewtwo needs some Amie time.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Watch your language.

TrakNar likes this.
  17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I haven't played since FireRed. Too many handhelds to bother keeping up with.

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Is Amie Mewtwo's petite amie? :D

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I just realised that I have no idea what the first game I ever completed was. The first I remember completing is Link's Awakening when I was eight or nine.

I thought the death counter was a score.

It read 999. :oops:

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, he's okay with being pet there... :D

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The old Texas Instruments was, in truth, a weird computer/console hybrid, as it had a cartridge slot; while you could buy a disk drive, I made do with using blank cassette tapes and a tape recorder. I have fond memories plowing through the old Scott Adams Adventures, which (truth be told) were already somewhat obsolete at the time, being an extremely primitive version of the Infocom text adventures. I didn't get to play Infocom games until my mother bought an Apple IIc.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The guys I hung out with in high school almost all had Commodore 64s and traded programs on them. One of them got a 128 and we all thought he was rich. :p

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    When I was like 5, my neighbor had a Commodore 64 in his garage and the Ghostbusters game on it. That's all I remember.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My first console was a borrowed super nintendo (I'm not as ancient as you guys) with Zelda: Link to the Past (Best Zelda game ever!) and Wing commander.

Have not watched G.I.Jeff yet. Given the rumors of the episode coming up, I plan to wait until the finale is out and see what happens, if it is a stupid misdirect or where the show actually plans to go. Once I know, I can either go back and watch, or not bother. Just like I don't plan to watch the finale of HIMYM again.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Oh yeah I forgot my friend gave me his Virtual Boy so I had that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.