main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Can this board be used again?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by R2-DK, Aug 27, 2011.

1. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    The creation of the offshoot Fan Force site banning this board from social use has killed the community. Us North Texas TFNers who weren't already posting before the split-off have long been deprived of the ability to get to know others in the region. To spontaneously discuss things pertaining only to this local area, in theforce.net style.

Being only allowed to use a separate site creates a gap for new potential members. Most of whom are not initially interested in joining a group, but just want to see who on these great forums lives in their area. I tried to register at the other site once or twice, but couldn't. But from looking over it, it doesn't look attractive anyway. And there don't seem to be much activity there lately.

This place is better, and hasn't even been used for making announcements in over a year. I think it's time it returns to its original use. If that can't happen, then at least allow one thread (a social thread) to be used.

2. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    I agree. I live in this area and I think this place is easier than other places.

3. chris_and_rachel

chris_and_rachel Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2007
    I like, that we do get together in person.

4. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  5. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    There is nothing stopping any of you from posting here. No group can ban people from posting on other sites.

6. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    The only thing you can't do is post in all the locked threads you see below this one. Just start your new topic and post away.

7. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Where are are you reading that the "offshoot Fan Force site is banning this board"?
    And how are you interpreting this as "killed the community"?

We (DFWFF), are more cohesive as a group than we ever have been since we started FanForce in 1999. Our site clearly states on the top of the forum "Please email DFWFF staff directly to join the forums .. thanks". Just shoot us an email if you want to join.

8. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    I meant the community within TFN.

9. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    We exsisted as DFW Fanforce and Countdown Dallas, even before we sold the name "Fanforce" to TFN and have always had a separate forum and website. Our "community" has always been local .. Waco, Oklahoma, Fort Worth (when there was one), San Antonio, Austin, Arkansas, Shreveport, and Lubbock Fanforces have always joined us in activities for the last 13 years. We all still continue to chat on Fanforce.net site but our main focus is our own group and events. This is not our home, our DFWFF is and will always be our home.

So again, where are you getting the idea that "offshoot Fan Force site is banning this board"? I've been the City Rep for DFW and this board since it's creation in 2000 and we've never discouraged anyone from using it. It's just not our primary forum.

10. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    There is nothing stopping anyone from posting on either board (or both). If you want to see what events are going on, then that info would be on the DFW boards, and hopefully I will be updating the boards here on a timely basis (once I get permissions for Fanforce front page). As we get used to these new boards I'll be updating all the MidSouth subforums with stickies at the top with info on each of the groups that maintain their own websites. We welcome everyone but in my eyes, posting here is not the end-all be-all. Besides, I think everyone is on that Facebook thingy anyways.... :D

11. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    For a long time there was a message on this board's page that said the forum was for announcements only, and that all other discussions were to take place at dfwfanforce.net

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...sage-boards-at-dfwfanforce-net-forum.14662204
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...sage-boards-at-dfwfanforce-net-forum.16312812

Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a separate site. I'm just trying to show evidence that this forum wasn't allowed to be used for non announcement or event related discussions.

But I'm glad we can use this board for its original purpose again, and I hope DFW TFNers will catch on over time. [​IMG]

12. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Yep, just as it says "We will intermittently continue posting news items on theforce.net's forum here, but all discussion will take place on our dfwfanforce.net forum." We are not "banning" the use of this board by anyone. Simply that we need a forum that we have %100 control over. Which we do not have here. Discussion is still open on this forum but you will not see many of us use it for many security reasons.

Any event postings that have not been sanctioned by the DFWFF staff will be removed. We have had far too many individuals in the past attempting to create and host events using the DFWFF name. Misrepresentation is not allowed.

Ideas for events are always welcome.