main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Can you smell what the Base is cookin'?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rani Veko, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Y'know, we have a lot of differnet kinds of people in our little group, and between us we have a wide variety of interests, from collecting and costuming, to writing and gaming.

However there is, I've noticed, one distinct thing that we Victoria fans have in common (and I daresay so do all Star Wars fans worldwide): we eat. Heck, if we didn't, we'd all kinda slow down, and eventually stop moving, and then the only thing we'd be good for is lining up for Episode III, and possibly not enjoying it as much as the living...

...but I digress.

Here's where you can post your own favourite recipies, and learn new ones to try out yourself (or get a grownup to make for you if sharp or hot things are a no-no). Share your successes and experience, and inspire others to come up with something more imaginative for that next potluck dinner than a stick of Mentos.

Bon appetit!

---------------------------------

Crab-stuffed Mushrooms Caps

[image=http://cjonline.com/images/102399/fea.rec.thomasdish.jpg]
    (this recipe doesn't include the cheese seen above, but making such alterations to this dish is easy.)

I made this for Derisa as a treat for her birthday. It makes a great appetizer, or a good party contribution, providing the host doesn't mind you using the oven for a few minutes.

You will need:
    24 small or 12-18 large mushrooms
    1/4 cup cracker or dry bread crumbs (optional)
    2 cans crab meat (not chunked)
    1 onion, finely diced
    1 1/2 cups (approx.) cream cheese
    2-3 tbsp. oil
    salt to taste

Wash mushrooms and completely remove stems from caps. Pat the caps dry and set aside.

Fry the diced onion in oil over medium heat, until transparent. Add cream cheese and reduce heat to medium-low, blending the cheese with the onion as it melts.

Add crab meat and blend in over medium-low heat. Add salt to taste. Remove crab filling from heat and refrigerate until it hardens a bit, approx. 30 minutes to an hour. After removing the crab filling from the refrigerator, preheat oven to 350 F.

Using a teaspoon, pack crab filling into mushroom caps so they are nicely rounded on top. Lightly push each filled cap into crumbs so the filling is coated evenly, and set filling-side-up onto baking tray.

Bake for ten minutes, or until mushrooms appear to be cooked. Mushrooms "sweat" as they cook, so you may wish to place them on a paper towel for a few minutes after they come out of the oven. Serve.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    They were delicious!!!

Thanks for posting this one, Rani!

Here's hoping for more recipes soon!

*Derisa*

3. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Holy Quiche!

[image=http://www.beachbladers.com/recentphotostwo/susan-quiche.jpg]

Among the many labels I've been given over the years (including "Wife", "Mommy", "$!^(#", etc.), I've been hailed as a "Quiche Goddess".

No, really.

Now, I guess there are worse things of which to be a goddess, like maybe liver, or hangnails. I shouldn't really complain about my undeserved deityhood, but I'll admit the fact that some claim I make darned good quiche. Rather than pinning a button on that says, "I BECAME A GODDESS! ASK ME HOW!", I'll just tell you how to do it here. That way I'll get to meet more of you in Asgard or Mount Olympus, and we can hang out and smite mortals for kicks.

To make two 9-inch quiches you will need these basics:

- 2 deep dish 9-inch pie shells, frozen or home-made
    - 5 eggs
    - 2 cups milk and/or stock or liquid from canned ingredients (see below)
    - grated cheese, (amount and type as preferred)
    - salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste

The rest of the ingredients are completely up to you. My personal favourite is canned salmon and asparagus, but you can also use bacon, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, sundried tomatoes, ham, sausage, chicken, clams, black olives, bell peppers, onion, shrimp, crab, salsa,...the list is pretty long. Rule of thumb: if you can put it in an omlette or on a pizza, it will probably work in a quiche.

If using canned fillings, consider reserving the liquid to add later to the egg. The liquid from canned seafood, mushrooms, and flaked chicken works very well in quiche. The juice from black olives has a very strong flavour and I usually leave it out. Liquid from tomatoes and canned green vegetables such as asparagus and spinach will nicely flavour the quiche, but will tint the colour of the egg mixture pink or greenish grey.

Preheat oven to 325 C.

Fill both pie shells with grated cheese and finely chopped ingredients of choice, layering them evenly and loosely so egg mixture can penetrate throughout the quiche. Add seasonings as you layer the ingredients.

Measure any reserved liquid and add milk until you have 2 cups total liquid. Beat eggs in mixing bowl together with the measured liquid, and pour half the mixture into each pie shell.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until done. If in doubt, test for doneness by inserting a dry knife into the centre, which should come out dry if quiches are completely cooked.

- Rani

4. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I have several Slovenian/Croatian recipes I could share (my first husband was Slovenian), but if I put them in here you guys would take forever copying them down. And I'd probably miss something. Ask me next time you're over here and I'll copy them to disk for you.

Slovenian Strudel
    Cejupcici (pronounced cha_wup_chee_chee) (long 'a')
    Potica (pronounced po_tee_tsa)(short 'a')
    Polacenka (pronounced poll_a_chen_ka) (short 'a's)

5. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Rani, do you remember what you put in the quiche you made when we went camping? I have to make something for a potluck and thought your quiche would go over really well :)

6. sirliam

sirliam Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    mmmm... bake... I really miss having an oven. Apparently that's what makes our kitchen a "breakfasting kitchen" maybe if i break the Hob (cheap gas range) I can convince the flat owner to spring for an oven, then maybe have me some quiche.....ha ha ha ha ha...... no!

So I was thinking of two blindfolded padewans moving around the jedi temple repeating at intervals, "can you sense me now.... good!"

Ciao
    Liam

7. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I love to cook and somehow missed this thread. I am going to try out these recipes in the very near future :)

8. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Liannb, I think that one was bacon, mushroom, and cheddar cheese...it works just as well with or without the mushrooms, though. I put garlic powder, salt, and pepper for seasoning.

Hope that helps! :)

9. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    For your elucidation and use. Please keep in mind, ladies, that these tend to "get in your mouth and stick to your thighs". Guys, these definitely stick to the waist!

TREACLE PUDDING

2 heaping serving spoons of syrup in double boiler
    8 oz flour 1-2 tsp ginger
    1 tsp baking powder 3 tbs milk
    1/4 tsp salt 3 well beaten eggs
    6 oz marg
    1 serving spoons syrup (optional)
    6 oz sugar (Demerera is best)

Put syrup in bottom of double boiler (for best results use Lyles Golden Syrup). Sift flour, salt, baking powder and ginger together and set aside. In another bowl cream sugar and marg together with a fork until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Fold in dry ingedients, alternating with milk until moist. Add one serving spoon of syrup (if so desired). Put on top of syrup in double-boiler. Cover with grease paper and foil. Tie down---seal tightly. Steam for approx 2 hrs. Serve with Birds Custard.

DATE LOAF

Bowl 1
    1 lb dates (chop fine) 1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp marg 1 cup boiling hot water

Combine ingredients. Let stand to cool.

Bowl 2
    1 unbeaten egg 1 cup br sugar
    1 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix dry together. Combine with cooled Bowl 1. Grease loaf pan. Pour in batter. Bake at 300oF for 50-60 mins.

CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW SQUARE

2 1/4 cups flour 1 cup marg
    1/2 cup sugar pinch salt

Combine dry ingredients. Rub in marg using a fork and then your hands. Press into base of 9" X 13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 15 mins.

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (any flavour)
    dash of 2% milk
    1 bag mini-marshmallows

Melt chips in double boiler. Add milk until chocolate is creamy smooth. Spread over cooled base. Press marshmallows evenly into chocolate. Return to oven until marshmallows begin to melt at edges (approx 5 mins). Remove to cool, then freeze until ready to serve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.