main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I hate olives...especially black olives. If I accidently order a Deluxe instead of a Supreme Pizza I end up with olives on it and then I have to sit and pick them off my piece of pizza.

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I love Black Olives, but I dislike the green ones. I ended up hoarding the bowl of black olives at my family's Xmas Eve gathering. My sister gave me a disgusted look, like she couldn't believe I was eating the whole bowlful. Lol

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    As long as you weren't eating them straight out of the jar. I do that with pickled onions and gherkins sometimes, but only when I'm sneakily having one or two. My mum made pickled eggs and pickled garlic once. The eggs were good and the garlic was interesting. I like garlic anyway so I quite liked it but I can't think of anything to compare it to.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I love green olives and dill pickles and bread and butter pickles (though not simultaneously). When you take a picture of me and the camera does the red-eye thing, my eyes look very much like green olives. Some people have celery-colored eyes, some have emerald-green, some have grass-green... I have Spanish olive eyes.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I used to love pickles - like eat them out of the jar LOVE, but I haven't done that in awhile. I'll tolerate black olives on pizza or in greek salad, but I won't eat them straight. My grandmother once guilted me into eating a green olive - NEVER AGAIN. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't stand the aftertaste.

I start school again tomorrow. Groan. My classes sound interesting, but my scheduled sucks. I have an evening class twice a week and the other three days, I'm in classes for 3 1/2 hours straight with no lunch break :_|

Also, I visited my step-grandfather today. He is physically doing alright - he was walking around and even dancing with his nurse, but he is not the same man mentally. He now has childlike tenancies. But, hey, he's 71 - he's allowed to be a bit crazy. I don't think he could think of my name, so he just called me "shortie", which was funny because I'm the tallest person in the family.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I despise olives. Also eggplant and celery.

Sorry to hear about that, Briannakin. :( It's funny the way strokes affect everyone. He may remember, he may not. That he's up and around is a good thing, despite the changes. My great-grandmother was bed-ridden after her stroke. I don't remember much about it, as I was 6 at the time.

I'm officially beyond the halfway point in my novel, according to the word count. But my characters changed everything on me and what was going to be part of the climax is now in the middle of the book. I have to thing of something bigger and better now. *kicks manuscript*

My cat accidentally clawed me in the face today. Right across the upper lip. I look like I've been punched in the mouth.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I am a fine connoisseur of all things pickled in a jar. Pickles, olives, cauliflower, green beans, peppers... You pickle a vegetable and I'll eat it. I'll also eat my veggies plain, steamed, fried, covered in cheese...

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Have you tried pickled carrots? Best stuff ever. My grandmother had a ton of carrots in her garden last year and she pickled them. They were all gone in a matter of days after she showed me them.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Fresh-picked from the garden? Quite a few times, though carrots weren't really one of my favorites. I preferred broccoli and green beans. And Brussels sprouts. And cauliflower.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never tried any of those things pickled besides cauliflower. That was good. My grandmother is the only one that pickles in the family and she doesn't do it much.

Also, my mother is driving me insane. My friend and I are planning on going on a trip this summer and I've been saving up for awhile for it. We are planing on going to Russia, but my mother thinks it's too dangerous (wait until I tell her the first places we were debating going were Israel and Egypt). We are now thinking of going on a Scandinavian/Russian cruise and she still freaked out about it (Norway is like the safest place in the world!). I know she loves me and she is only thinking of my safety, but the woman has lost her mind. She keeps forgetting that I'm almost 20, I'm not naive at all, and that I DO want to live my life. I can see her worrying if this was the first time I was traveling out of the country without her, but I was to Cuba when I was 17. On top of that the friend that I am traveling with has lived in Peru by herself when she was 17, and she's currently in Kenya. We are not two dumb barbies.

HELP!

11. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Take me on a Scandinavian cruise! Please? [face_praying]

In the matter of veggies- I greatly prefer my veggies raw. I'll eat most things raw but then they get all mushy once cooked...ew.
    But I do like pickles. Mmm. Though I don't think I've ever really had anything pickled besides... well... pickles. And sauerkraut. Also delicious.

Briannakin, go to Germany instead and bring me back some sauerkraut.

12. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    (please)

TrakNar likes this.
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I love sauerkraut. My grandma makes it quite often. And Pennsylvania is a bit closer than Germany.

But, yes... I'll go on cruise! Take me! I've never been out of the country and I'll be 32 on the 16th!

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Alright. Next time I'm visiting my grandparents near Lancaster, I'll let you know, Trak. You can be my sauerkraut dealer.
    Briannakin may resume her Scandinavian schemes.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. Okay. I guess I can stuff you two in my suitcase, but I'm going to need one big suitcase XD

But seriously, does anyone know how I can reassure my mom that I'm not dumb enough to be kidnapped.

16. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Does she know the friend you're going with?

The best I can come up with is map out a detailed itinerary to show and talk over with her. Make sure she's aware that you won't be spending nights in bus stations. And demonstrate that you've done your research about where you're going, how you're traveling once you get there, etc.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    What Lexi said. I can't really offer any advice, as I'd call my folks after I'd leave the state to go to a convention. Well, I used to. I'm a bit better at that, now.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, she doesn't know the friend I am going with, so that doesn't help.

That's kinda why I thought of a cruise instead of just flying somewhere and staying in a hotel. With a cruise your room and all meals are paid for beforehand and they already have an itinerary set up. Perhaps if I stay away from former communist countries (which is stupid because I've been to Cuba). I'm going to see how my friend feels about an Iceland cruise.

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I went to Russian and stayed in a hotel. One day I decided not to eat in the hotel restaurant and just go around the city. Wrong! I couldn't find a restaurant to save my life. I am sure they were there, but the Russians don't have big window front eateries with neon signs advertising beer (At least not when I was there in 1992). They were just big stark buildings with a little sign by the door that probably said Restaurant...but I don't read Russian. The only food I saw was a little outdoor Koisk that sold vodka and Briskies cat food and there was a guy in the alley selling raw chicken parts out of a box.

Definitely take a cruise where they feed you and take the cruise landside tours. The last time I was on a cruise and I ventured out on my own I almost got robbed by some big brutes. Norway was one of the few countries in Europe I have not been to. I've been to Sweden and Finland and they are nice, so I assume Norway is similar.

Cruise ships can be dangerous. During my first cruise I woke up in bed covered with blood. Luckily no stitches were required. It seems I got a little tipsy and fell down the gangplank (we were in port) and had a form of road rash all over my body and face.

Can you see why I no longer drink. :p

20. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Well the reason I asked is because maybe it would help if you sat down with your mom and the friend (if that's possible sometime between Kenya and Russia for your friend) so she has some idea of who you'll be with. I imagine my parents would have been similarly nonplussed by the idea of me hopping around the world with someone they didn't know.

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I went on a Baltic cruise. It was great. I did everything on my own in port, EXCEPT for Russia (St. Petersburg). There I took a tour for the three days we were in port. There was no way I was going to walk around Russia by myself, and I was 28 at the time.

I have to side with your mom here - there are some places that just aren't safe/are difficult to tour by yourself if you are English-speaking. Russia is one of them. You've got a whole different alphabet to learn there, and the signs weren't all in English as they were in the other, more western countries on the cruise. You'd probably be okay in the tourist areas, but just walking around a city? Not so much.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My mom freaked about my going on a trip when I'd be with two Marines (who've seen combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, and are officers, the one's even a major) the whole time except at the airport. It's what moms do.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I talked it over with my mom and she has realized that I'm almost 20. And I do see her point about russia maybe not being the safest place to stay (if only I could tell her some of my crazy Cuban stories - I did not stay in a resort or anything like I think she thinks). But she's a little more comfortable with the cruise idea, whether it's scandinavan or somewhere else.

Anyways. My copy of ERC came in the mail. SO MANY PRETTY PICTURES!!!!

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    What's ERC again?

I just got official permission to use a real castle as the location of part of one of my books. :D I am pleased.

25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Cool!

Fishing emails are so funny sometimes. I just got one that told me the UN is giving me $850k USD in order to fight poverty. Haha. I wish.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.