main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh. Okay. Same species, then. I'm not that familiar with them, so . . .

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That's alright, as Tuffass is a fanon character that we both developed.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And yes, I drew that one. I drew both Gands.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's really good work!

TrakNar and Goodwood like this.
  5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. That was second in a set of yearbook-styled images for the Republic Marines article on SWFanon. I have a third in the works, though since I got a new computer, my tablet's driver doesn't work on it, so I'm planning to upgrade my Wacom tablet to a newer model. Needless to say, the third image is slow going.

My avatar was a sketch card I drew recently. All ink.

6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Stupid question about self-publishing: How do you actually self-publish? I've poked around on Google reading articles about the process, and I'm even more confused. Amazon has a self-publishing option, right? So where do you find that option on their website?

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Since self-publishing can become expensive, there's always the small publisher option. There are many smaller publishing companies out there who are looking for authors. Look around for some local publishers and start attending various conventions and workshops. I find lots of smaller publishing companies through Horrorfind Weekend and my local comic shops.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Depends on if you're going for print or ebook. I do both. It's really easy with CreateSpace. You write your book, then on CS you puck your format and size, follow all the instructions, and then order a proof copy. You can even design the cover for free. I'm on my phone or I'd go into more detail.

I recommend CreateSpace over Lulu. Lulu jerked me around for a month with error after error, and they were waaay more expensive. They wanted $10/proof and CreateSpace is $4-something. Lulu wanted the regular price of my book to be $18, and with CreateSpace, it's $10.99.

leiamoody likes this.
  9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm drained. Completely and utterly out of energy. I-)

My neighbor is a Jehova's Witness and I'd promised her that I'd accompany her to one of their congregations. Two hours. The fact aside that they make me feel a little bit uncomfortable, it wasn't all that bad. Just long and tiring. And all the women wore skirts. Except me. :p I don't own skirts or dresses.

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Thank you for the info, Dantana. :)

11. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Ah! You're going the "It's out there. Why can't I even earn out?" path.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ugh. My head feels like it's full of sand.

My grandma is in the hospital, but I can't see her because I have strep. Can't go in wearing a mask, either.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    :( That's sad. My paternal grandmother has been battling breast cancer for two years now, but I haven't seen her in like 4 years (she really does not like me - she didn't even come to my high school grad). Me and my sister are debating taking the three hour plane trip to see her and my grandfather in May or June. On one hand, my grandmother is not a nice person and we'd both rather spend the money and time off elsewhere. On the other hand, we'd both like to see our grandfather once more before he, you know. Our grandfather is the world's biggest sweetie pie with the world's sickest scene of humor. It's really a matter of, do we want to deal with our witch of a grandmother for a long weekend (the most we'd be there is like 3 days) for the sake of seeing our grandfather. I'd like to do it so that when they die I can say I wasn't the WORST granddaughter ever, but my sister has yet to decide and there is NO way I am facing the dragon alone.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That's how I feel about my grandmother currently. I want to be able to see her for one last time, and the other day, I had the option to go see her. However, I've been sick. I'm pretty sure the hospital would not be very happy with me visiting, wearing a mask or otherwise. And seeing as how this is migrating to my lungs in a runaway mine cart, I won't get to see my grandma any time soon. [face_worried]

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, I hope you get feeling better so that you get to go see her. You have a much better excuse than I do though. I just don't want to.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So, on the way to pick up DarthIshtar from work, I stopped to run a brief errand for my mother. I parked, decided to leave my phone charging in the car, and got out. Locked the door, shut it . . . and realised my keys were in the ignition. Now, I've had my keys tethered to my purse for four years because in 2009, I locked myself out of my car SIX TIMES. The chain I use has this stupid little heart charm on it, and apparently, it got stuck under the slider for the clasp thing on the chain and it got stuck open this one freak time and the chain fell off my keys.

I went into the store I'd been headed to anyway, but they wouldn't let me use the phone. I went next door, called my parents (it's 4 PM at this time, and I'm supposed to pick up Ish at 4:30), and my stepfather informed me that they wouldn't be able to get me until 5. I called Ish to let her know this, but being at work, her phone was off. So I wandered around the shopping centre a bit more. At 5, I call my mother, she doesn't answer. She shows up at 5:45 to bring me the spare key.

Now having access to my car, I call Ish to let her know I'm on my way. Since, you know, my cell phone was also locked in the car. We had plans to go to the mall so she could get some new shoes (her old ones had rubbed her foot raw, literally, and she'd been bleeding). We get the shoes purchased, do a little wandering. When we leave, we've just pulled out of the mall parking lot, into the street that rings the mall . . . and my car dies.

It dies repeatedly. I start it, shift into drive, and it dies. Back to park, restart, and so forth. So I put it in neutral, get out of the car, and start pushing. A truck with some teenage boys stopped and they helped me push the car back into the lot, where I called a tow truck, and Ish called kateydidnt to come pick us up. Tow truck came, hauled my piece of crap off to the mechanic, its second home, and I finally got to my own residence.

And I broke a nail trying to buckle the seat belt in the back of the car. Ha.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh dear. I've had days like that. Not recently though. I'm glad you got home though, that's the main part! And no one died. That's also something to be thankful for.

So, I'm using a book called "Traces on the Rhodian Shore" for my research essay and every time I see the title, I think it's 'Rodian' and I think GREEEEDDDOOOO!

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, Jehovah's Witnesses are known to be some of the most pushy about trying convert people, with my neighbors being the exception to the rule.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Jehovah's Witnesses scare me. :(

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    No Jehovah's Witnesses here. Though, I've met some Mormon missionaries. Nice guys, and they haven't been pushy about trying to convert me. I tend to not make it very well known that I'm agnostic, mainly for the reason that I simply don't want people trying to convert or "save" me. Leave me to my sinful beliefs, thank you very much.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    As far I'm concerned, I don't care what people believe, or who they love, as long as what they're doing isn't harming others. I may not necessarily agree with someone's choices, but it's their choice to make, not mine.

Of course, you make a pest of yourself to me? You've made it my business and I will retaliate. :p

Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
  22. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Nah, it's true. They ARE pushy. And sometimes even a bit scary. But once you clearly tell them to back off, they usually leave you alone. Not my cup of tea.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There's a few Jehovah's Witnesses around here. None are exactly pushy though (very few people period are pushy about faith in Canada, so that may be why). If you just tell them your not interested or busy, they'll generally leave you alone. Though usually our neighbor will phone if they came their door first and warn us so we just don't answer, just encase it's that odd pushy two. I'm christian and I'm very open minded, yet I know my believes and their believes don't match.

My aunt is quite a bible thumper, so she enjoys debating them and getting them mad. Then there is my other aunt who is atheist who enjoys scaring them away.

24. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    *heathen and proud of it*

The thing I don't understand- does anyone actually convert after having someone knock on their door to spread the word? Like... 'gosh, I was really happy with my sinful ways, but since you put it so nicely...'
    :confused:

Excited/freakout moment- I'm 30 weeks pregnant now. I sense the next 10 weeks shall pass entirely too quickly. [face_hypnotized] Where has the time gone?!

LLL and Iverna like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. I understand their 'platform', I just don't get it either. I disagree with their methods in many ways, but that may be just me and my personality.

Wow. Yeah. Where has the time gone? I hope you get lots of rest over the next 10 weeks.

I know I just realized I only have 5 weeks left of this semester (small freak out moment). Then it's exams. Then I have to decide what I'm doing for my summer. My august is pretty full with a wedding which I have to travel for (my family is making a week-long vacation out of it) and then London later than month. But I still have all of May, June and July to fill up and not many prospects for a job *sigh* I said I wasn't going to, but a 6 week long May/June course doesn't look as bad as lying around for 3 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.