main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I need help. Seriously.
    I've been wanting to write or rather finish some of the fics I still have going but I could use someone to bounce ideas off. A new perspective maybe. Life for me has been HELL in the past few months and I really need to get my mind off all the shavit that's been going on.

So if anyone's interested, just drop me a PM. I'd so very much appreciate it. :)

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh I believe it. And then sometime between the age of 40 - 50 it appears their brains shut off again. ;)

LLL and DarthBreezy like this.
  3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    That is for the male of our species, anyway. :p

~~~

Okay, I have a huge favor to ask. I'm working on an original story, and my main characters are Catholic... and I'm not Catholic. The story in a nutshell is this: My main character, Siobhan Marie Joyce, discovers at the beginning of this story that her husband of thirty years had an ongoing affair with another woman who bore him two children. In fact it was the same woman she had found out he'd had an affair with twenty years previously, but she had forgiven her husband when he repented, saying it was a one-time thing (obviously, it wasn't). My question is, if she divorced him, is it in the view of the Catholic Church that she could not marry someone else without being adulterous herself?

Another issue that resurfaces for her, (and this is the really touchy subject). Siobhan rediscovers a cousin of hers whom she'd been out of contact with for 40 years. This cousin, William Joseph Joyce (whom she always called Liam when they were growing up together), had been sexually molested by a Catholic priest when they had been in school. Siobhan is the only person who believed him at first when he tried to tell what happened, and in fact she witnessed it in action (this will not be graphically displayed in the story... it's not that kind of story, I promise you). What happened afterwards, is no one believed their story because there is a big cover up. Both Siobhan and Liam were expelled from the school. Liam's mother finally believed him but his father didn't, and she took the boy and ran off. They are not seen again until Siobhan. However, Liam did try to write his Siobhan, but she didn't get the letter because her parents intercepted and destroyed it. So, 40 years later, they meet once more. She doesn't recognize him (they were 10 when they last saw each other), but he recognizes her and is very bitter and angry towards her for what he considers as abandonment. He also harbors great anger and hatred toward the Catholic Church and religion in general.

In the end, Liam will learn to let go of his anger through the help of Cousin Siobhan. Though he doesn't return to the Catholic Church since he dies at the end of the story. This story is meant to show the power of God's love to give spiritual healing, not to bash the Catholic religion! Also, I am aware that other Christian denominations have had similar issues. However, this is the storyline that my muse keeps bashing my brains with (I asked my muse why she can't give me stories about characters which I have something in common, and the little demon said that wouldn't be any fun :oops: ).

Now, I need to ask some questions of some practicing Catholics and also some people who used to belong to the Catholic church but left. These questions will be rather sensitive in nature because of the story's subject matter. Anyone who is willing to help me, please send me a PM. I need to ask these questions so I can make my characters believable.

Thank you.

4. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Boy, is it ever snowing. Got caught out in it trying to get my handicapped cousin back home after a family visit at her mother's.

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Yeah, it's coming down here pretty well, too. Yesterday, it was nice and sunny -- very springy. I hate when the weather bounces around like one of those super balls I used to get from those gumball machines as a kid.

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not Catholic, sorry. I can't help you.

It was actually pretty nice today. The sun was even out, but it'll still by June before the snow is gone.

So, I was out with my sister and her boyfriend and he dragged us into a musical instrument store. I, of course, was ooogling at the pianos (I know how to play, but it's been a few years since I have played). And now I want one (an upright piano, not a keyboard). But I'm not paying 11,000 for a new one. So I was on Kijiji and there are a few in my area for sale (all need tuning of course, and some are quite old) all for some reasonable prices, so I'm going to look at one in the next few days (hopefully).

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It was pretty nice today, albeit a bit breezy. And I'm Lutheran, so I can't help you.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm not Catholic, but from what I've been told by people who are Catholic or who grew up going to Catholic schools (and from several letters to Dear Abby), the Church isn't real keen on remarriages after divorce. You can do it, you just can't be a practising Catholic or take communion while "living in sin". She could certainly marry in a civil ceremony, but the Church wouldn't perform one, is my understanding. This is one of the reasons that the Anglican church came about, all because Henry VIII wanted to divorce and remarry.

Weather's been cold here, and snowy. Which sucks 'cause it got up to 75 before that and I was running around outside in a tee and no jacket. And now I've had to drag my winter coat and snow boots back out. :(

9. WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR

WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR Jedi Master

May 17, 2006
    Though it is not an easy or simple process, the Catholic Church accepts nullification of religious marriage through the procedure of Annulment. Being only passingly familiar with canon law, however, I do not know if the situation you describe would be enough.

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I think in this case, the annulment would not be an option, since the marriage itself was entered into fairly. All the grounds for annulment are about their state before they were married, not what happened while they were married.

11. WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR

WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR Jedi Master

May 17, 2006
    Though it is hardly a common situation, some marriages in which there have been repeated infidelities have been granted annulment on the basis of the infidel partner being declared ex post facto mentally unfit to make marriage oaths.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My mother-in-law was married for 32 years and had four kids. When her husband cheated on her and ran off with the other woman she applied and was granted an annulment of the marriage from the Catholic Church. My husband was given a letter from the church assuring him that he was not considered a child born out of wedlock despite the annulment. :p I did not know that was possible until we were told about it. Divorce was against her church beliefs, but she had no choice so this annulment was granted. She is officially divorced by the state, but the church nullified her marriage.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you so much for the information! That makes it easier for that part of the story.

Wow, I never thought of how annulment would affect the children born during the marriage (I mean besides the emotional side of things)... maybe because I always thought that annulment was only done if the marriage had not been consummated. That would totally suck if the children were all of a sudden thought of as illegitimate... in the case of my main character, her youngest just moved out of the house and is going to college.

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, Henry the VIII was a notorious pig... the husband of my main character seems to venerate him. :p

I never put away my winter stuff until the middle of May.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's going to be mid-May before the snow melts here. We never 'put away' our winter stuff.

So, I bought an upright piano yesterday. It's small compaired to a typical upright. It's only about 1.2 metres tall and 1.5 long. The owners are older and are moving so they kinda just wanted someone to take it who would use it. It's 50 years old and still in great shape. We are moving it on Friday, which should be interesting since the owners have it in their basement. But after it's out of their house, it's easy because my stepdad is borrowing his company's big delivery truck with a lift and my house is all wheelchair accessable (and it's going in the front room anyways). Plus I've employed my step-dad, uncle (both of them used to work for a moving company), my sister's beast of a boyfriend and possibly my beast of a cousin. Keep your fingers crossed that it all works out.

Jedi_Lover and Alexis_Wingstar like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Do you play or are you planning on learning? Either way, have fun with your new toy.

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    My son and I are catching up on the Clone Wars series, and are watching "Bound for Rescue" in which Jedi initiates who had just made their lightsabers rescue Ahsoka from Hondo's den by going undercover as a circus act. My son brought up something that made us both scratch our heads... "Why do the laser guns have a recoil?"

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, I don't put away my winter stuff until late either. I leave for work at 0530, so even once the days get warm it's still pretty cold when I leave for quite some time.

I hope the moving of the piano goes well Briannakin! I watched a baby grand get moved one time and I just was glad I wasn't one of those guys! It was a little scary!

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Heh, 'winter stuff'. I wear the same things all year round. :p

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I played back in high school (piano and pitched percussion, mainly the glockenspiel) and I really miss it. I'm a bit rusty, but I'm hoping it'll all come back to me. I plan on giving my little brothers lessons.

Thanks Mav. One of my richer uncles bought a baby grand for his daughters a few years back (ITS SO PRETTY) and my other uncle (the one that I have helping) and cousin (the one that I'm hoping to get to help us) were both there to help. They said it was... interesting, so they said if they can get that one in through a door, they can get this one up stairs just fine.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Alexis_Wingstar I just asked our local college instructor who teaches lasers and physics and he confirmed a laser weapon does not have a kickback. He also said he couldnt build me a lightsaber. Some professor...

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I suppose that you could engineer the weapon to have a kickback regardless... why ever you would want to. The only reason they have a kickback in media is simply artistic license. It's more pleasing to the eye to see a weapon kick. And seeing that character take the weapon's kick in stride makes them seem tougher.

As for winter stuff... All that's really different in my wardrobe are the length of the sleeves and pant legs. It's all mixed together, so it never really gets "put away." The gloves may get tossed in the closet, but that's it.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So I was leaving my student bible study and, because it was quite warm today (7 degrees C -- that's 45 f) almost no one except for the two people from the lower mainland (Vancouver) and the two students from Nigeria were wearing jackets. So the one girl from the mainland was being all motherly to us and scolding us for not wearing jackets in the winter time, but we all responded: "What are you talking about? It was 7 degrees today. It's practically summer."

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    One afternoon, my mom called me from Florida, complaining that it was "getting chilly." She said that it was getting too cold to wear shorts! So, she asked me what the temperature was in Gettysburg. I replied with "Thirties."

That put things into perspective and she stopped complaining.

J_Girl likes this.
  25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Had this conversation with a friend a few years ago. She lived (lives? IDK, haven't talked to her in ages) just outside Orlando, FL.

Me: So what's the weather like there? I'm coming down next week and I'm not sure what to pack.
    Her: Oh, I'm so cold right now! I've been wearing my jacket all week, so you'll need to bring one.
    Me: How cold is it?
    Her: 75!
    Me: . . . It's 8 degrees here right now.
    Her: . . . You'll be fine.

TrakNar, J_Girl and Alexis_Wingstar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.