main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Celebration V

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by JocastaNu3, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zepherous

Zepherous Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2010
    Hello everyone. Im in Middle Tennessee too! Ive emailed Jaden about this, and this is a little off topic from CV, but, I am currently working with Regal Cinema to have a screening of The Empire Strikes Back on Friday May 21st, 2010. It is the exact 30th Anniversary of ESB, and I think it would be amazing for everyone to see it on the big screen, if for the last time. We do have a set number of people we need. I have friends posting it all over Facebook, and just trying to gear up enough people...I need help!!! The theater holds 189 people, so I figure we need half that many. Then, as it is announced to the public, the rest will fill it up. I am calling Regal corporate tomorrow about the situation, and I have already talked to the manager at the theater, and he's ready to do it. I think it has the potential to be a wonderful event, with many Star Wars fans, from all around. I almost forgot: it would be in Tullahoma, Tennessee. How many do you guys think we can get there?

2. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    LOL....I live in Beechgrove.

So perfect for me. 20 minutes from my house.

And welcome to the FanForce!

3. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    Thank you. :)

I have a few people working on it. A friend of mine has pledged 30 people, and my brother is working on 10-20 more. If we could get the FF to bring in about 30 people, I think that would do it. I am talking with corporate tomorrow, so I will let everyone know. But in the mean time, let me know how many people you can pledge, and we'll see if we can get this thing set up for everyone.

BTW, I have always wondered if there were people in my area that liked Star Wars as much as I do. I am a huge fanatic. Just last year I read 60 Star Wars novels, and I just recently learned Aurebesh. Yes, I can write it and read it fluently. Im a huge fan.

Glad to have found some more fans like me! MTFBWY.

4. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    May 21st is graduation night in McMinnville, so I wouldn't be able to make but I will tell others who might be interested.

I will start a new thread for this topic.

5. Lord_Kosh

Lord_Kosh Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2005
    Welcome to the FF.

I would love to see ESB on the big screen again. May 21st is even a Friday, so it has a good chance of working out. I have not been to Tullahoma, TN before, but think a little Road Trip might be in order. What time do you think they will show it?

6. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks for making that other thread! Back to the topic here, is everyone driving to CV?

7. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    If we can afford it, we will. We have someone from Ohio who might ride with us if we go who is on this site. I really want to go!

8. ChewieTitan

Dec 26, 2001
    We are planning on driving. Flew to Orlando 3 times last year, but never driven. I'm not crazy about long trips, but I want to have a vehicle for this trip.

9. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I would love to see how many we have and try to go as a group. Rent a big van and split the costs. It would completely rock. It would be like Fanboys!

10. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    I bought everything the day they announced the event. We are flying down on the 11th. I bought my tickets on Dec. 10th, and then I purchased VIP tickets when they went on sale on March 30th. I am so excited for the event! I have no idea what to expect, except from what people have told me from the previous Celebrations. My first event was Star Wars: In Concert. That was an amazing show, something I will never forget.

11. JocastaNu3

JocastaNu3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2008
    Howdy everyone,
    I feel like I've been sent to the spice mines of Kessel, but I am finally back, and trying to find some sense of normalcy,w hatever that is.
    Actually just having to be a caregiver for my very ill father, but he's now back in louisiana with my brother.
    Anyway,
    Celebration. I am still planning on going, HOWEVER, that Thurs is my daughter's first day of school, so I might just fly down on Thurs night or Friday AM alone, and I'm not sure at all if my husband Scott will be there :(
    But so great to know some other local fans WILL be there.

Is anyone costuming???
    and YES, I believe I could be the representative Jawa or Ewok or whatever other shortie needs reprentation, as I come in at 4'11" WITH shoes. Hey, just ckd Carrie Fisher's stats, and she's only 5'1",
    If I can get anything together at all, I will hope to be in costume as Leia, something, either Bespin or General, but as I can't sew a button, doubtful, but always a dream.

Could not make the movie screening of ESB as we willb e driving to Orlando/Disney that day for a week's vacation. Will be restructuring trip to work in a Sunday at Hollywood Studios as it is STAR WARS Weekends, and we've never managed to be there for that. woohooo. I know it'll be crowded, but just to see the parade will be great

Please, please keep any and all info on Celebration coming. I have never been to any of them, and I'm so trying to make this happen. just too exciting an opportunity to pass up.

miss you all
    Lillie
    JocastaNu3

12. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    I am looking most forward to the trivia contest. Just this summer, I met the guy who won the last one. He challenged me to a few questions, and was surprised that I knew them. He gave me an opportunity to question him, and I bested him. He did not know the question I asked, everyone was just in awe, because no one had ever beaten him. That is probably my favorite Star Wars memory, and I hope to make another by winning the trivia contest. I really know too much about it, more than is healthy.

Anyway, I hope they actually celebrate ESB. The Clone Wars has taken over everything! I hate that series, for the record. I hope they have things for the older fans, as well as the younger ones. People have been talking like it will be all about kids. I hope that doesnt happen.

13. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I hope all is well Lillie! We have missed you!

Actually, I love The Clone Wars. I like it personally, but also I think it is great to see the kids getting into Star Wars. A lot of the kids I taught in pre-k LOVED SW because of the series and I think since they were so young a lot of them were not able to see the movies. But some did. And the Clone Wars was their gateway into the SW experience. So in my humble opinion, keeping SW alive is so important. The Clone Wars is a great way of doing it. I think the series is better than the CW movie. I am a big fan of Ahsoka. She has such a great personality and keeps Anakin in line. I have missed most of this season because I do not have TV, but I can watch online. I have been catching up on a lot of shows though, and I have college online so my time is valuable. I also watch House, NCIS; I love Fringe, V (the new one) and FlashForward.

I still am unsure about getting to Celebration. I have never done a SW event. I want to dress as Mara. And Lillie, I am 5'0" so I am between you and Carrie. I want to meet her more than anyone there. She and I share Bipolar disorder and she is my role model for the disease. I just want to let her know that she has helped me. I am going back to school, pursuing my dream of digital art. I see how she can do all she does with a much worse form of Bipolar and it inspires me to better myself.

Well, have to go on to my class. Catch ya'll later. :)

14. ChewieTitan

Dec 26, 2001
    I've got an Obi-Wan costume that will wear one day (don't think I want to wear it every day unless the hotel has laundry). At 6'3", I'm a tall Obi-Wan and balding too. I wore it during Halloween at Disney World last year and lots of kids recognized the costume, so I guess the height and hair doesn't matter.

Jaden, have you got a fx lightsaber for your Mara costume? I've got an Anakin or Luke you can borrow if not.

15. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks. :) But I would worry about losing it or breaking it. I am accident prone! I have a Clone Wars build-you-own lightsaber that Dan got me, which I do not think I can use. It does not really have an Anakin/Luke combo I can build. And it is bulky. I can buy an fx lightsaber in Murfreesboro, but they are so expensive, I would rather use my money to buy tickets. I have not bought them yet and we are still not sure if we can afford it. How much do the tix run? I am a fan club member, so not sure that helps.

We have just not had a great year financially. We bought a new (to us) house in November (downsized, thank the Lord!) and got out of the Boro. Our car needs new breaks, a new windshield and a few other things. That happens when our tax returns come back in. Hopefully we will have some left over for CV.

16. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    The tickets are 128$ for the 4-day pass. I've spent so much on this trip already, but it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I have gone all out. I am staying in the villa we always stay at in Orlando, and using the same car service. The plane tickets were actually pretty inexpensive, compared to some places I have been.

I am worried about how much things there will cost. Ive never been to Celebration, and I just dont know what to expect. Someone told me that a hamburger at CIII was 35$. Dont know how true that is, but it looks like it will cost a fortune just to be there. Not to mention collectibles and exclusive art work, autographs, etc. I have no idea what to expect.

17. ChewieTitan

Dec 26, 2001
    Jaden, I've got too many fx sabers, so you are welcome to borrow one of them. I been thinking about selling some cause they are stored in 3 different rooms in the house. I want miss it if you encounter a Yuuzahn Vong, get into a duel and break it.

The convention center has a food court that is similiar to one at a mall. A sub or burger and chips is about $7.50 and a plate of spaghetti or BBQ plate will be about same price. There are nice resteraunts around that are expensive. We take granola bars, trail mix, nuts, crackers and other snack foods and only eat one meal a day at resteraunt. We take bottled waters also cause they are $3.00 at convention center.

Costume pic:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Chewietitan/Disney%20Halloween/Costumesandcastle.jpg]

18. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Nice pic Chewie.

If we go, maybe I will take you up on the lightsaber offer. I appreciate it.

And the price is about what I expected. So I am not disappointed. We need a vacation. It is a week before our 8th wedding anniversary. I have wanted a vacation for a while. As Dave Ramsey says, there is a nerd and a free-spirit in most relationships and I am usually the nerd. But when it comes to this I am the free-spirit and Dan is being the nerd. LOL!

I understand it costs extra to meet celebs. :rolleyes: Well, Carrie Fisher might be the only one I meet if we go.

19. JocastaNu3

JocastaNu3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2008
    Cool pictures from Disney.
    Thanks for all the Celebration info. I will be getting serious about reservations and such SOON! thanks
    JocastaNu3

20. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    I have heard that a lot of the hotels are booked already. I know the villa I stay at is booked for the entire week. It was booked the day after CV was officially announced.

21. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    If a group is pulled together for CV, we would have to look into hotel's further away, but could split the driving up. I'm going to have to look at more of the details. I would like to go, but have not registered or anything yet.

22. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    I hear so many people say you need to take a good amount of money to have a good time. I surely hope that isn't the case. I figured there would be more to do there besides buying things.

23. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    I suppose it depends on what you are planning to do...

To get autographs from most of the well-know celebrities at Dragon Con, the price was about $30.00 and a fairly long line for most. I didn't spend that much money there, but easily could have if I bought everything I would have wanted to have. Dragon Con was general sci-fi, so it probably helped me that several booths/events/merchandise was completely out of my scope of interest. CV will be different since it is focused around Star Wars exclusively (not that there will not be some other things that slip through). I'd say half of it was vendors. I haven't checked the schedule or list of activities yet.

If you are not worried about collections or costumes, I'd think you could get by without buying too much, once you get your room, ticket, and travel expenses. I do recall some contests at Dragon Con. I am certain there will be some sort of contests (probably trivia as well), so you could have a lot of fun and hopefully not have to spend more money. Food and drinks in the convention were expensive, but as ChewieTitan said, bring things with you or time your meals when you are not at the convention...or limit it to maybe lunch. There was also a mall-like food court there, so lunch was maybe $10.00 or less. :)

It might also depend on the groups they went with... If your friends like to pay extra to do some of the special activities that may be offered, you might wind up paying as well. If your friends are trying to keep a tight budget, hanging around them should keep your costs down. If your goal is to meet other fans, that should be pretty easy. :)

Personally, I would set a reasonable amount for collections and such before you set foot in the door. Walking through all the areas first before you buy things is a good way to save money. Let's you prioritize what you want to get and add it up. I did find one thing early that I bought anyway because it was pretty cheap and may not have been there when I returned. The only other things I found were different prices from vendor to vendor, so I was able to save some there. I do recall various forms of the MagicTheGathering games, including StarWars version, being played by hundreds of people at tables in a large room. I am pretty sure it was free once you had the entry to the convention. Perhaps you can go and start your own mini event...like a trivia contest in one of the spaces "not being used"... :)

24. Zepherous

Mar 30, 2010
    I have a huge collection, and I hope to add some things to it. Honestly, I already have spent upwards of 6k just for preparations. Doesn't leave much wiggle room once I get there.

25. ChewieTitan

Dec 26, 2001
    At C3, we spent about 500.00 on food and souvs once the con started. We bought t-shirts, action figs, lots of posters, key chains, pens, just 10.00-30.00 stuff. The most I paid for anything was a 50.00 orig Peeplo stuffed Ewok for wife in the exihbit hall. Found it on ebay for 12.00 after we got home, so keep that in mind when shopping in the exihbit hall. The dealers in there are mostly individuals like us, so most their prices are negotiable. If you have internet while there, check items on ebay before making a big purchase.
    There was an art gallery that had expensive items for sale. I bought posters cause that was the only reasonable things for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.