main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Conquest of the New World (System Lords in the 1600's)

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by PRENNTACULAR, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Conquest for the New World

Welcome one and all, to the newest of the System Lords family! It is my pleasure as Game Master to invite you all to play this strategy based role-playing game. A big thank you goes out to Sith_Lords for granting us use of the System Lords franchise and a solid foundation for this game, and to Blemelisk and Imperial_Hammer for late night planning sessions and great ideas and feedback!

In the early 1600?s, the great continent of Europe is bursting with unrest. Great nations such as France, England, and Spain are out to protect their historical supremacy, while newer nations such as Venice, Tuscany, and Morocco wish to catapult themselves onto the world stage. With the recent discovery of the American continents, and rumors of the Central American empires mobalizing, the Monarchs and Leaders have heard whispers of conquest.

This is their story.

A story of conquest, imperialism, politics and war.

A story of the Conquerors.

In this game, you will be playing a world leader in the changing European society. Will you guide your nation to greatness?

Conquest for the New World offers a unique opportunity for character development, while playing a strategy, fleet based game. You will be playing a character, who will be of as much importance to the story as your nation and its military. How will your characters story affect that of your country? This is for you to decide.

Be creative. If they do it in RL, odds are you can do it here. Just because I don?t mention something in the O.P. doesn?t mean you can?t do it. Use what resources you have in whatever way you can dream up. Along with this freedom though, you need to exercise common sense. Your actions will have consequences, whether good or bad. Keep this in mind when deciding on creative things for your nation or leader to do.

Due to its complicated nature, this game has the possibility of being ?challenging.? As such, if you are new to the RPF, please consult the GM and Role Playing Resource Forum before joining.

[hr]

[color=orange][b]Payday[/b][/color]

Payday will be held once a week, and it is at this time you will receive the income and bonuses of your controlled territory. Once the game gets started, MASTERPRENN will state which day of the week will be payday.

[color=red][b]Alliances[/b][/color]

One aspect of this game that players may wish to explore is that of alliances. In this game you may have three or less parties to any alliance, though players can only be in one alliance. To make things fair for those who wish to play by themselves, alliance members may not give monetary or resource ?gifts? though they may give out loans, which need to be reimbursed within 5 paydays. The giving of items will not be allowed either.

[color=green][b]Warfare/Conquest[/b][/color]

For this game, we will be using turn-based warfare, just like the original System Lords, and I will moderate battles. Since in this style, the person who posts second does have the advantage, turn order will be rotated.

When taking a new territory for your own, you will need to have at least (but not limited to) 500 colonist units ?living? in that territory for it to be yours and for you to reap its benefits. There will also be inhabitants in all livable territories, which you will either need to eliminate or settle (make a deal) with for you to control a territory.

In the event that a player attacks a territory owned by another player, and kills some of the inhabiting colonists, neither player owns the territory until they have 500 colonists in said territory.

As with all infantry units, replacement colonists can be purchased.

[color=purple][b]Store[/b][/color]

[u]Army:[/u]

Pikemen company (50 men)- 75 (100 when built in NW, without Barracks)
    Replacement- 2

Musketeers company (25 men)- 60 (75 when built in NW, without Barracks)
    Replacement- 3

Infantrymen company (75 men)- 75 (100 when built in NW, without Barracks)
    Replacement- 1

Heavy Infantry company (30 men)- 70 (87

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    APPROVED

Name:
    Sultan Al-Salah (Referred to by Europeans as the Red Sultan, or Sultan Salah)
    Nation: Ottoman Empire
    Appearance: A tall man, with a long white beard and hawklike features. Sharp nose, thin mouth, and blue eyes. Fair skin, though it is deeply tanned. He wears red robes and a red turban, with gold trim.
    Traits/Personality: Fair, and just, but can be ruthless and unforgiving. Whip smart.
    Bio: Al-Salah was born 42 years prior to the Ottoman family. He was the firstborn of his siblings, and was thus designated the heir to the throne. When he ascended, after years of travel in Europe and Asia, Salah first decided to visit the famed New World. This is his tenth trip there.

Name: Ottoman Empire
    Income: 500
    Bonus: Extra 100 per payday due to the trading of exotic materials. This income can not be raised or lowered.
    Faction Specific Unit: Warrior (Upgraded Basic Infantry ? More Power, same price)

Added with Edit: Gov't Structure

Sultan Al-Salah

Grand Vizier Kehmri

General Otheym

3. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Nations:

1.) Spain - Despised1
    2.) France
    3.) England- Reserved (4 more days for Blem to get CS in, after that it's fair game)
    4.) Scotland
    5.) Denmark
    6.) Sweden
    7.) Papal States - Imperial_Hammer
    8.) Two Sicilies
    9.) Venice - Darth Joesha
    10.) Tuscany
    11.) Austria
    12.) Morocco
    13.) Ottomans - Peng
    14.) Muscovy (Russia)

GM- Okay, that leaves 9 more nations availabe. I'm hoping to get 4 or five more filled before we start.

4. Darth_Joesha

Darth_Joesha Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2004
    Name: Alessia Particiaco
    Preferred Nation: Venice
    Appearance; [image=http://home.att.net/~blackonblack/Inara-TC.jpg]
    Traits/Personality: She is a firey, sensual italian. She cares about two things, Venice and Love. She lives up to her name Alessia, or Defender, as she prefers to find a strong point and hold it rather than expanding rapidly.
    Bio: Alessia lived her early life in the background, but still in great power, her beauty and her political sense helped her manipulate men into doing her deeds. Her most brilliant move was to make the current Doge split power with her... he unfortunatly drowned later that year. Alessia has very few attacks on her rule and all have been destroyed quickly. She is now personaly going to the New World to oversee the assimilation of the country into Venician rule.

Name: Venice
    Income: 550
    Bonus: Extra 100 a turn due to art trade, this can not be raised or lowered
    Faction Specific Unit: Trader (Can be sent into the Indian Nations for potential monetary rewards)- 15 Gold per 1 Trader

5. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    GM- Alright, we have four more players yet to post their sheets. If we don't aquire any more players before the last of the 4 post their sheets, we will go ahead and get started, though I do remind you, the more players the more fun! Market this baby like crazy to all your friends! Also, I would like to take this oppurtunity to encourage you all to GO VOTE FOR THE RPF FALL AWARDS in the RPRF. Thank you all. I love all the sheets I have received thus far! Keep up the good work!

6. oppaizombie

oppaizombie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2006
    GM APPROVED Thanks for letting me join.

[image=http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7034/carniola350hih0.jpg]
    Carniola Coat of Arms / Leopold VII Royal Standard

Name: Archduke of Austria, Lasdislaus Leopold VII von Habsburg (more widely known as Lasdislav)
    Nation: Austria
    Appearance: He is a stalwart man, with short cropped black hair over which he wears a peruke (or wig) as is the contemporary style. Around his neck he wears a lace ruff which rests above his black court attire or black armour, depending on his business of the day. His eyes are hazel, and seem to suggest a placid mood of mind by their soft glimmer.
    Traits/Personality: Lasdislav as he is widely called, is a narcissist who would sooner make love to himself than anyone (though he would never actually turn a woman down). He is not altogether indifferent to his people, but he does hold fast to the philosophy that they are there to support his opulent lifestyle. An excessively aesthete palyboy, he does not, however, cringe from conflict and in fact is infamous for his brutality towards his enemies. His is a rule that is stern but fair.
    Bio: Of an Elder Leopoldinian line, he was born in the region of Carniola to the Duke of Further Austria, Leopold VI, and the Duchess of Inner Ausria, Antonia Johanna. He had an elder brother, but the creature was stillborn. As a young man he had many affairs, but grew increasingly fascinated with how people glorified and venerated him. After becoming quite vain he decided he was fit for much better, even better than the Archdukedom of Austria, which he was heir to, and would stop at nothing, not honour or family, to have what he saw was by right his anyway.

Name: Austria
    Bonus: One free infantry company every other turn
    Faction Specific Unit: Mercenary (Upgraded Basic Infantry, cheaper, For company of 75=50 gold)

7. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Co-GM on deck!

[image=http://www.1uptravel.com/flags/images/vt-lgflag.gif]

Name: Pope Paul V
    Preferred Nation: The Papal States
    Appearance: [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/Pope_Paul_V.jpg]

Traits/Personality: Very stern and unyielding, a lawyer rather than diplomat, who defends the privileges of the Church to his utmost.

Bio: He was born as Camillo Borghese into a noble family of Siena which had recently fled to Rome, and ROMANUS appears in most of his inscriptions. He was a lawyer educated at Perugia and Padua. In June 1596 he was made cardinal and Cardinal-Vicar of Rome by Pope Clement VIII. When Pope Leo XI died (April 27, 1605) Cardinal Borghese became Pope over a number of candidates including Caesar Baronius and Robert Bellarmine, his neutrality in the factional times made him an ideal compromise candidate.

Name: The Papal States
    Income: 700
    Bonus: The Seat of the Roman Catholic Church, weilding a significant influence over its believers
    Faction Specific Unit: Missionary - (Non-Military, Spy Unit, 1 Free Per Turn)

Other Gov Officials:

- (Fra) Paolo Sarpi
    : Lead Canon Lawyer and Spokesman of the Republic
    - Roberto Bellarmino: Archbishop of Capua and Papal Scholar
    - Cardinal Scipione Borghese: Head of the Vatican Government and Papal Secretary

8. Long_Live_The_Rebels

Long_Live_The_Rebels Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    GM Approved

Name: James I
    Nation: England
    Appearance; Brown hair with blue eyes. Wears Royal robes.

Traits/Personality: Insucure

Bio: James the First took over the English government right after Elizabeth. It will seem hard to live up to Elizabeth standards as her reign was the golden age of Britain. James has received word of new lands, and hopes to create a british empire.

Nation: England
    Income: 650
    Bonus: One free Galeon every other turn
    Faction Specific Unit: Man o' War (Upgraded Brig, same price, more power)

Government

Royal House:
    King James I

Parliament:
    House of Commons
    House of Lords

OOC: Do we get starting money?

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think we all know the James I of Britain, IV of Scotland, ignored Parliament.

10. Long_Live_The_Rebels

Long_Live_The_Rebels Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
  11. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    OOC: Do we get starting money?

I'll do you one better. Not only do you get starting money, but also a starting ship! Of course, you will find out the specifics once we start...

12. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    If you manage to squandor your wealth and send your country into a spiral of destruction that causes the public to call for your head... you totally have my vote for "Best player" the next time RPG awards roll around.

Or you could introduce democracy, I suppose.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    [image=http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/PatyEscuder/spainflag.gif]
    Name: Philip III, King of Spain
    Nation: Spain
    Appearance:
    [image=http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/Dinkus_Mayhem/PhilipIII.jpg]
    Traits/Personality: Calm and unwilling to act out of fear or emotion. Will hold a grudge on occasion, but treats loyalty in kind.

Bio: Philip came to the throne just two years ago upon the passing of his father, King Philip II. So far untested by war or suffering, the coming months will be his first true test for the new King and will either secure or doom his kingdom.

Nation: Spain
    Income: 600
    Bonus: Starts with extra Galeon
    Faction Specific Unit: Conquistadors (Explorer/Probe Unit, If living in a captured territory, can act as colonists for up to 2 turns)

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Hmmm, does that mean you voted for Bush in these awards?

You planning on playing, Mr. Warden?

15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    You bet, the guy has been able to invoke a remarkable range of emotions in the audience, and tends to dominate the scenes. I don't think I've ever seen him break character...

Alas, I have no real time.

16. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Character Profile:

Name: Marcello Rossi
    Preferred Nation: Tuscany
    Appearance: 5' 10," Firm athletic build with tanned skin typical of a Mediterranean native. Has long dark brown hair which comes to an inch or so above his shoulders, he usually ties it back with a purple ribbon. Has a seemingly-permanent facial stubble.
    Traits/Personality: Marcello is a very intense, thorough, and caring man. He never lets a situation go by without first preparing for it completely; he leaves no stone unturned. He has been in the Tuscan military since the age of twelve, and has a sharp tactician's mind. Despite his prowess in battle, he still maintains a strong love for literacy, intelligence, and nature.
    Bio: After growing up as an apprentice to a carpenter in Florence, Marcello chose to join the army at the age of twelve, first being the servant of a Lieutenant General. After the years went by he became a favorite of the General, who eventually had him appointed to his command staff after Rossi had enlisted in the regular infantry and had gained promotion to the rank of Major after his gallant actions in battle during a Tuscan expedition to Oran on the North African coast. At the time he was the lowest-ranking and youngest staff officer in the Tuscan military.

From his staff seat, he was able to learn many nuances of operational tactical command and the juggling of resources. He was made a Brigadier General after a few more years in the service to reward his expertise in both his new position and his reliable abilities in combat situations.

When the time came for Tuscany to begin its bid for greatness in the conquest of the New World, there was created a new position, one that would place the appointee in direct military and economic control of Tuscany's interests overseas. The position required youth, cunning, and most of all experience. Marcello was possesed of all three.

Name: Tuscany
    Bonus: Extra 100 per turn (Cannot be raised or lowered) due to wine production
    Faction Specific Unit: Explorer (Same as Conquistador)

17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Still hoping to get a couple more players. If not, that's okay. Look for a post to be up tomorrow or Thursday (hopefully).

18. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006
    OOC: I have some minor characters to add to the Austrian camp, but I will just post them up alongside the first entry. I'll be readily on hand when this story starts.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I wonder, how many people here have original characters, as opposed to historical ones?

20. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, Hammer is apparently using the real pope (well, as real as a pope in a game about conquering the world can get, so... in name and sort of nature alone), Philip III and James I are legit (see previous comment), though their ages don't quite match up. Oppai seems to be bending time and space if that's the same Leopold VII (more likely a fictional character). Al-Salah seems to be largely fictional, and I'm nearly certain that Marcello Rossi is as well. And of course Alessia Particiaco is fictional because hey, it's a woman in power.

21. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006
    OOC: Correct. My characters are fictional, but the history that supports them is to my knowledge accurate for the most part. It's engrossing once you get started, and if you know your (wiki)history, the fact he has a Slavic name would be a dead giveaway that he is made up. Don't think the Austrians would suffer a Slav for a ruler. Hah. Had I known people would favour realistic characters I might have followed suit, but oh well.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Al-Salah is fictional, but he is based on Salah Al-Din Yussuf Ibn Ayyub, from the Crusades.

23. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    OOC: I was going to use an original character but using one based on historical figures seemed kind of fun, I did tweek the age a bit in my favor though. I didn't want to be an old crusty king. :p

24. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    OOC: I wonder why people who aren't in the game find it necessary to critique PCs.

25. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    OOG: Who was critiquing? Harmless question, harmless answers, along with a joke about just how much medieval life sucked in the civil rights department. Plus education, health, nutrition, benefits, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.