main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** CONVERSION Help / Requests **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Post all such questions here. Share ONLY your solutions here with all. Use the PM system if you need to carry on a longer conversation.

2. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Having some problems with a conversion of an LWO to 3ds. We lost some polygons in the conversion. If anybody can convert it themselves or knows of a good freeware prog, let us know.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    For the five bajillionth time..

USE OBJ, DO NOT USE 3DS. 3DS SUCKS.

4. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    Already tried it, for some reason with the polytrans trial version or whatever we lose the 5th polygon no matter what file we export it as.

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    How do you know that that's not a built-in disabling effect on the trial version??

6. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    That's a total possibility, though that limitation wasn't listed on the download site. But if there's another piece of software that works better than perhaps I should get that.

7. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    Well, if memory serves, there's a plugin for MAX that exports OBJ.

It might also help if we knew what format you were trying to get it into... you said you wanted to export a 3DS, does that mean you're taking it to LW? Bryce? Blender? Maya? Truespace? C4D? The list goes on an on...

And yes, the "remove every fifth polygon" is built-in to the demo of Polytrans. It's a demo, it's not meant to be fully functional.

8. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    I want to go from LWO to 3ds, Max, or Obj. Is there a good free conversion program that could help me out?

9. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    Okay, you still didn't answer my question.. I'm GUESSING that you're trying to get an LWO model into MAX. In which case, read my previous post.. there's a free plugin for MAX called "OBJ2MAX" (goes along with MAX2OBJ) that will import an OBJ file. LW can export OBJ natively without any plugins or external help.

If you don't have LW, I would suggest finding someone who does, who wouldn't mind doing the export for you. As far as I know, there are NO free conversion programs. The best one I've found is Deep Exploration, which I believe has a 30-day fully functional demo that should at least get you through this one conversion. You can load up the LWO, export OBJ, and import that into MAX. Don't bother trying to go directly from LWO>MAX, it'll never work. MAX is too different, direct conversions always fail.

10. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    And... might I add one thing to hopefully wrap this up... Deep Exploration is mentioned in the FAQ in the conversions section. Also... you guys noticed I said to run the conversation in PM and share the answers in the forum?? I don't think anybody will ever do this but it would make the place alot neaster since we have to stay inside a thread. BUT I'm not gonna remove anything here b/c what Jedi2016 has said already pretty much will cover about 80% of the questions here anyway.

11. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I've got some Cinema 4D plugins that I want to import into 3ds Max by any way possible, I tried using Deep Exploration but they haven't updated their c4d plugin so it can't read them. I tried to use the C4D demo but that doesn't allow you to export, I also tried to find a 3ds Max plugin that can import it but I can't find any, so is there a plugin or something that can do it?

12. ZethyD

ZethyD Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2004
    Having some problems with a conversion of an LWO to 3ds. We lost some polygons in the conversion. If anybody can convert it themselves or knows of a good freeware prog, let us know.

- http://www.tb-software.com/download.html
    this funky little programm converts nearly everything into everything
    get the: 3DWin + 3DWinOGL V4 + 3DWin for Moray 3.5 (full+update)
    plus the 3Dto3D Evaluation Binary (otherwise it wont work)
    g`luck with this one

13. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    Deep Exploration will do it. I think that program's been mention in almost every single post in this thread. While it's a commercial program, it has a 30-day demo full-featured demo mode that will export your model for you.

But really.. why 3DS? Surely you can find a better format than 3DS.. obsolete, ugly wireframes.. icky. Use OBJ. Or hell, just convert the LWO directly to MAX.

14. Miroku_87

Miroku_87 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    How can I map an image on an object, like a plane for example?

15. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    What program are you using?

16. Miroku_87

Miroku_87 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    D'oh, sorry >_<

I'm using 3D Studio Max 7 ^_^'''

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Search the user guide...

18. Miroku_87

Miroku_87 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Are everyone so kind here?

If yes I can leave. -.-

19. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    Hi guys, I'm having a small problem.
    First, when I imported models into 3ds max 6 I could select the folder in which all texture files were so that they were put onto the model. Now, I only get the 'please resave file cause there are ones missing' error.
    How can I still put the objects onto the model?

Here is a picture of my problem (a rendered):
    http://www.geocities.com/davealien2000/starfighter.bmp

20. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Are everyone so kind here?

I'm not trying to be unkind - textures are the basics of 3D and will be covered more in depth in your user guide than I can tell you. Mapping and texturing are things that are best read out of the manual for the application you are using that's all. Don't assume that I'm being unkind - you have all the tools and information in front of you and I'm just trying to show you where to look to get the most complete answer.

Dave - when are you getting that error? Is it right before you render? If so does it say something about missing mapping coordinates or is it actually looking for the textures? If it's looking for the texture files themselves you should be able to point it to the folder where you un-zipped the model and everything should be set. Let me know if you are still having problems and I'll see what I can do.

21. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    yeah the problem is that I don't know how to point to the folder with the textures in it.
    I get the error right after I opened the model with 3ds max 6.

EDIT: :eek: I got it to work, I shouldn't have clicked 'adopt file size' or whatever.
    now it is good :D
    thnx for the help!

22. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    If it's looking for the actual image files for the textures, open up the material editor and click on one of the materials from your scene. Then scroll down until you see the "Maps" rollout and open it up. Click on the box to the right of "Diffuse Color" (or whichever one you are having problems with) and a new area of the material editor will appear. Click on the "Bitmap" button in the "Bitmap Parameters" rollout and see where it takes you. If it doesn't point to the right file, simply locate the one you would like to use and select it. This will cause the image you selected to be the color map for the material you edited.

Hope that helps - let me know if you still have problems.

23. Miroku_87

Miroku_87 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Ok, I watched my guide and I discovered that I have to use the bitmap like a material on the plane or object. There is, anyway, a problem: once selected the bmp I can't assign it to the object because it's a normal image and I saw in a tutorial, that had a plane with an image mapped on it, that the bitmap, in the material screen, had a cube form but I don't know how to make my image like that.
    Can someone help me?

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Here's a fast way to assign materials...

1 - Select the object you want to texture
    2 - Open the material editor
    3 - Click on one of the default materials
    4 - Click on the small box next to "diffuse" (a window should open asking you to select a file type to use for the texture)
    5 - select "Bitmap"
    6 - Browse to your file and double-click it (you now have a bitmap loaded in the material editor)
    7 - Click the "Assign Material to Selection" button and you should have a mapped object.

Hope that helps, let me know if you're still having problems.

25. Miroku_87

Miroku_87 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Ok, now it works, but I have another problem:
    when I set it to make me view the material also in the viewports I see it only in the prospective viewport. Is there something else I have to set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.