main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin's hand have been saved?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Leia's Starboard Hair Bun, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    I was thinking about how Luke loses his hand to Vader in Cloud City and it occurred to me that, given the advanced technology of the time, the reason they gave him a robotic hand was probably that his real one was lost down the air chute. But when Anakin loses his to Dooku in AOTC, presumably it is just lying there on the ground after Yoda chases Dooku off.
    Obvious storytelling parallels aside, do you think Anakin's hand could have been reattached? I think given how clean the lightsabers cut and the available technology (cloning etc), it probably could have.

andresfelix likes this.
  2. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Yes, I believe it could have been saved. Just a day ago I saw a news story about a man whose severed hand was re-attached after it was sliced off by a construction machine of some type. Since it was a pretty clean cut, the doctors put his nerves back together which allowed him to regain most of his hand's former functions. I also saw a special on the discovery health channel about severed limbs and what lies ahead in the future with better technology, and I think it said something about doctors one day being able to repair every single nerve in a damaged or severed limb. Perhaps it was possible to re-attach Anakin's hand, but Anakin didn't want it that way?

3. Nkenobi

Nkenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Cause they need to start dismembering Anakan for his role as vader.

He is more machine than man now, twisted and evil - Obi-wan

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Dooku took it and placed it on his mantle. :p

Maybe the ceiling fell on it when Yoda saved Anakin and Obi-Wan?

I actually like the "Dooku took it and put it on his mantle" idea though.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Anakin probably wanted the power.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Who wants to bet it ended up in some mountain in the middle of nowhere?

7. Beyond_the_Stars

Beyond_the_Stars Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    The thing about Lightsabers is that when they cut, they cauterize, or seal the wound through burning--so, no--Anakin's hand couldn't have been reattached onto his body.

8. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    Well, here's the thing about the cauterizing: it would cauterize both the severed hand and the wrist. So if they can figure out how to attach the nerves etc of the cauterized wrist to a robotic hand, presumably they could figure out how to attach two cauterized items together. Medical technology in the SW universe seems very advanced, what with the droids, cloning, healing tanks, etc., so I don't think it's a matter of simply being unable to do it. At the same time, I'm not sure Anakin would have intentionally picked a robotic hand that looked like the one at the end of AOTC because it seemed pretty crude. Maybe he'll get a new one in ROTS?

9. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Not that new. He basically tweaks it and adds more advanced looking things to it. All the non-spoiler people will be pleasantly surprised by the new design, I think. It's still a terminator hand, but it has a more lean...uh and curvy sculpt.

10. Nkenobi

Nkenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Not that new. He basically tweaks it and adds more advanced looking things to it. All the non-spoiler people will be pleasantly surprised by the new design, I think. It's still a terminator hand, but it has a more lean...uh and curvy sculpt.

anyone who doesn't know where his hand goes hasn't seen the OT :p

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Cauterizing the wound probably saved Anakin's life (he might have gone into shock, but he didn't have massive blood loss), but saving the limb...? Questionable. It seems standard operating procedure to just give the individual in question an artificial limb. Not to mention that lightsabers probably burn to a certain degree, meaning that some of the, er, meat of the arm was destroyed. Attaching it would mean his one arm might be an inch or two shorter than the other, which probably would lend to some artifical device being used to even it out anyway.

Outside of that, Anakin built his own arm and felt it superior to the original. Part of it is that he simply liked the power that came with it.

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Who wants to bet it ended up in some mountain in the middle of nowhere?

[face_laugh]

13. Master_Win-Dex

Master_Win-Dex Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    Ya know i dont think that his hand could have been saved because he still loses his hand in ROTJ and so he still would have lost it anyways unless luke never gave into the dark side for that few seconds and maby just maby he never would have lost his hand but i dont think it matters because he still is three-fourths cyborg and one-fourth human so i dont think it would have made a difference.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't see how the fact that the wound was cauterized means much, except preventing initial blood loss. After all, heat-based tools are more common now in surgery than scalpels (or at least, they are common place) for the very reason that they can cauterize the wound. that besides, there's certinaly nothing stopping them from simply removing the scar tissue, and giving Anakin a reconnected, slightly shorter hand/arm.

15. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    It probably ended up in some chili at Dex's Diner. :)

16. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Dooku took it so that he could sell it on EBAY.

17. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I would toataly bid on that

18. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Since the wound was cauterized, I would imagine to reattach the arm, you'd have to cut away more of the flesh on both ends, which would have left him with a shortened arm.

19. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    They probably could have re-attached it. Maybe Anakin requested a robotic arm to make it stronger and better with reflexes. Just something more that he wanted to be better at. :rolleyes:

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    giving Anakin a reconnected, slightly shorter hand/arm.

That's it. Anakin with a shorter arm wouldn't look too cool :p

21. Darth_Lacerus

Darth_Lacerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2004
    I have a better idea for this thread.

Where IS Anakin's arm?

You never see it lying around. Was it taken by a Geonosian? Was it taken by Dooku somehow?

Now imagine, if in the EU, that arm was taken to Kamino and they created an ARMY of Anakin's and Sidious secretly trained them in their youth to learn the dark side of the force?

Wouldn't you just crap if 100,000 Anakin Army showed up one day.

22. -diVe-

-diVe- Jedi Master

Jan 15, 2002
    I've seen this movie hundreds of times, and the point you've made has never crossed my mind. I congratulate you on this. I think it's a brilliant and valid deduction.

The first time I saw the movie in theaters I subconsciously assumed, as soon as I saw Anakin lose his hand, that they'd replace his hand with a robotic one, a la Luke in The Empire Strikes Back.

Now that I think about it. A question in my mind is raised. They can fly to any planet in the galaxy with ease. Moreover, they can pretty much replicate a new robotic body part that works as good as a natural body part, as far as functionality. However, they cannot re-attach a severed, perfectly fine limb?

23. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The hand realized that Anakin was going to the dark side, thus, made a quick get away while it could.

Not only that, since Padme was about to enter Anakins life, it realized it was obsolete.

24. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Depending on the state of the hand, perhaps it was not able to be reattached properly. If it had been too long between the amputation and them getting Anakin to a medical facility, the hand may have been beyond saving. You only have so long to get it reattached, and it has to be put on ice as soon as possible. Perhaps the tissue was just too damaged to reattach. Maybe they tried, but weren't able to.

Now, I am NOT a medical expert-most of my info comes from watching ER.

25. angel_of_the_force

angel_of_the_force Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2005
    well, "if he focused as much on his lightsabre training as he did his wit" he wouldn't of lost his arm at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.