main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton CR elections...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rogue_Thunder, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    It's been approximately a year since the last CR elections, and considering the lack of organised activities, I think it's time someone else has a go at the job.

This isn't a sleight on the fanforce (by which i mean the members who make our great group), but the way things have slowed down here has pained me. We used to be a very close group of friends, and while I realize people move on, or change interests, or grow out of certain things and move on, there's no reason the people who still check the boards every day hoping for some kind of get-together can't take the figurative ball and run with it.

It'd be nice to get a few activities going where we can try to recruit new members using the base of great people we have that still take a daily interest in the fanforce and hopefully rebuild it and have a slightly changed circle of fellow dorks (and not just Star Wars geeks).

I'd like to take a crack at the title with an eye to being the one to help rebuild and recruit, while still holding out hope that some of the "oldbies" will pop in on occasion. Now I work kinda weird hours now that I'm doing security full time, but I have no problem popping in on events when I'm in town and thankfully with plentiful internet access at my job I can help organize events, or at least provide input/assistance as someone who's planned some pretty elaborate events, like the first Forcefest and the C3 trip.

I'm hoping to attract new members by opening up to different types of fans. People who like Star Wars, but it might not be their first interest, because while Star Wars has been an icon for decades now, with no new movies on the horizon its popularity is kind of waning (but with the cartoon and TV series a good base for attracting people to our interest!), so by opening up to new fans, people who might be into sci-fi, or fantasy or comics in general and have seen the saga and have an appreciation for it, we can keep the group alive.

So, if someone would like to see someone else have a try at being CR for our great fanforce, then speak up. Even if you don't get behind me as CR, let's see some forward momentum on the boards, or at least some open discussion about the idea.. :)

2. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Berx, I think this is a great idea. Does anyone else want the job? I can't see even bothering with an all out election. I know I lost all interest in it when after trying several times to get things going both online and in real life, we'd only get one person interested, and one person willing to come if only to add a number to the group. I sorely miss the group we used to have and I hope you have more luck revitalizing this group cause I know I haven't. I realize I have zero interest in the crap Lucasfilms is putting out under the Star Wars name right now and have lost any enthusiasm for flogging the dead horse that is this fan group. Have at it. :)

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    go for it Berx :)

4. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Agreed take it and run pal, lets see what happens.

Yes I miss all you guys a lot too.

5. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hello everyone, It sounds like you have everyone's backing Berx so I am fine with you taking over as CR.

6. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    Berx as CR sounds good to me!

7. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Thanks guys. I'll try not to let you down.

8. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Just have fun with it man, I think we all need to get back to having fun with this stuff :)

9. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Congrats RT as the new CR. Let me know if you need any info or help with anything. We have such a great group down here and keeping it fun is the number one thing we do down here. Our monthly meetings have 20+ people out for the last year and a half. I think having such a mix of people down here is what keeps us growing as any new people that come out will have something in common with at least a few people. Like it they like games we have gamers, if they like collecting we have collectors, and so on. I think if you guys can get a group together like that you will do well. I know it will be hard to get going with out a new movie release or something like a comic expo to try to hype the group but I've got my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you can bring the EFF back from the brink.

Ryan

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Thanks, Prelude. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.