main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Creating vignette effect to drag onto footage in Final Cut

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WolverineOfTheORS, Oct 16, 2011.

1. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    I'm trying to create a vignette effect in After Effects on a transparent background, with a view to drag the rendered Comp directly into Final Cut and put on my footage.

Having difficulties. How do I do this?

Thanks, dudes and dudettes!

2. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Could you invert the vignette in AE, then when in Final Cut - invert it again and then set the Composite Mode to Screen? I don't have a computer with either of those on at the minute, so I can't try it out myself.

If all else fails, FCP does have a Vingette filter - although it is pretty sucky.

3. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Actually you would create a vignette on white and set it to multiply in FCP. Screen is for compositing light effects like reflections; it'd be the opposite of what you need here ;) No excessive inverting required.

And doesn't FCP's vignette have blurring adjustments and the like as well? I seem to recall rather liking the vignette I did on a wedding years ago; can't remember if it was a plugin or not. If it was built-in, then it was hardly "sucky" IMO.

4. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Really this applies to all effects. Right now I'm trying to create some text graphics in After Effects and drag into Final Cut to overlay onto my existing footage.

I'm doing the multiply thing, but it's not working. I am setting a white comp in AE, and setting the text layers to Multiply.

When I transfer into FC, I set the text comp mode to Multiply but the text has a very low opacity and can't really be seen.

Thoughts?

5. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Oh, well now you've changed what you were doing. For the vignette, a dark vignette on white set to multiply in the FCP timeline would work. For text, you would want to render it with an alpha channel that FCP could then see and composite correctly.

6. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Yeah, sorry, changed what I was doing!

Ok, alpha channel. I am quite basic in my use of AE, so is alpha channel a type of composite mode? For instance, create the text on a white background and change the white background's composite mode to alpha?

I may be sounding like a bit of a spud here, so please go easy.

Thanks for the help!