main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads of the Force (SW/ST crossover) Completed 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    McCoy and Kirk in one of their famous arguments.;) But now McCoy is right and I am worried and waiting for the next update

2. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes" Yes, he is talking sense. Question is, will Jim listen?

obimom: Not this universe's Kirk. More often than not, he seemed to use the fact that McCoy was suggesting one thing, and do almost the opposite.

earlybird: Yup, now I just need to get a good McCoy/Spock argument in here...

Okay, next post is ready, so here goes...

The vehicle came to a stop, the four Jedi reaching out to assess the situation. "There's a lot of fear in the air," Quin said. "But I'm not sensing anything that stinks of the Dark Side."

"It's possible that our opponent has already been dealt with," Obi-Wan proposed, "or perhaps they've simply shut down in order to avoid detection."

"Or else they're being masked in some fashion," Tholme said. "It's possible that they've used the fear that you're both sensing to cloud the Force." He sighed. "We may not have much warning, should we?"

"Good, you're here," came a voice from the crowd ahead of them. McCoy stepped forward, his sleeves already rolled up, gloved hands stained with blue-black blood. "Jim's gone inside to create a distraction. I was waiting, and, well, I'm sure you've seen what happens when a large number of people panic."

"Doctor, what happened to the captain?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Jim's gone into the hotel," McCoy said. "He's got some harebrained idea that he can divert the attention of the police force and give the ambassador some time."

"I fear that the police are the last thing the ambassador needs to worry about. If there is a Dark Side user present, he or she will be able to draw on the fear and panic that is permeating this place."

"You're telling me that someone staged all of this for their benefit?"

"The lives of a few innocent people will, unfortunately, be of little consequence to someone who has submitted to the Dark Side, Doctor," Tholme said. "The best thing you can do is to help those you can."

"I've only got so many hands, Masters Jedi, and the situation isn't getting any better."

"Then Quinlan and Obi-Wan can stay here and aid you," Qui-Gon said. At Obi-Wan's stricken look, Qui-Gon added, "We'll let you know if we have need of your assistance."

"Master Jinn, if I might ask, is it possible that this Force user could turn Jim against us?"

"Possible, yes," Thole answered. "But unlikely. This individual is highly skilled, but the skills remain raw and undeveloped. If we were facing a true Sith, whose skills had been honed after years of training, my answer would be a little different."

"What route did your captain use," Qui-Gon asked.

"The same one he's likely to use until it stops working," McCoy said. "He went right through the front door."

"Unless we draw on the Force, we're going to have to try for something a little less obvious," Qui-Gon said.

"I'd say that the kitchens could prove a useful starting point," McCoy said. "Hotels usually have back passages for their kitchen and housekeeping staffs to use, so that they don't intrude upon the guests."

"And how would you know this?" Quin asked. "Forgive me, Doctor, but you don't look like the type who would have been in either of those professions."

"Actually, I worked in a hotel while in med school," McCoy said. "That is, before I joined Starfleet. After I committed to the Academy, well, any hopes of finding something to help pay the bills went out the window."

"Then we will start from one of the kitchens," Tholme said. "Obi-Wan, Quinlan, follow the doctor's instructions. We?ll be in contact in case anything needs to be relayed?in either direction."

"Understood, Master," both Padawans said, almost in chorus.

"We'd better get moving," Qui-Gon said. "The more time we give them, the more likely our quarry is to slip away from us."

That's all for now. We'll drop in on the ambassador in the next post, methinks.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great plan of action.

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Nice chapter setup..looking forward to the next one. :) Is should be interesting! ;)

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great plans and leading to action[face_thinking] and loved the interaction with Mc-Coy

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have fallen almost embaressingly behind with this story - but I just caught up in one sitting, and . . . wow. I am thuroughly enjoying this! :D

Keep up the good work! =D=

[:D]

~MJ @};-

7. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    Great post. :D

8. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: But will it work?

obimom: Glad you liked it!

earlybird: Seems like McCoy steals every scene I insert him into!

MiraJade: Glad you've had a chance to get caught up. Hope you'll hang in there for the rest of the tale!

Sabriel: Thanks!

Okay, here comes the next post.

"We've got to keep moving," Sam said as he followed the ambassador through increasingly deserted hallways. "The police aren't going to take forever figuring out where we went."

"If the ambassador hadn't blasted a hole in the wall, they might," Valdra said, even as she tried to figure out what was bothering her more, that this human was actually not simply fawning over her, or that she'd completely missed the arrival of the police. It wouldn't take long for them to get word to the president, and President Jaraana wasn't going waste time taking full control of the situation. That was one side effect Valdra's machinations had had on the man; he'd grown to like having personal power.

"Seems to me that we have misjudged how important to President Jaraana you were," the ambassador said. "Obviously, there is more to your story than you have told us."

That's obvious, you dolt, Valdra thought, then squashed it. She didn't know much about Andorians, and there was no telling if the ambassador might be somewhat telepathic. Something was going seriously wrong here, and she wasn't sure how she could right things, much less turn them to her advantage. She's thought that corrupting the ambassador would be easy, but that damned Vulcan hadn't let her alone with the ambassador long enough for her to ensnare him.

"The president paid attention to me when nobody else would," she said. "I'd been left essentially to my own devices, and he took pity on me. When he found that I had a talent for seeing what his political opponents were up to, he made me a part of his staff. Once he'd reached the presidency, he decided that my talents would continue to serve him. He used them to establish a hold on the government, with no intention of letting go." It was stretching the truth a bit, but then, when hadn't it been possible for her to twist the truth to serve her ends?

"And with the decision to join the Federation appearing to be his, he would have been far too revered for any allegations to be of any danger," Yunis said. "If his hold was as complete as you say, why not simply dispose of you?"

"I think he liked the idea of having someone that he could use to expand his own ego," Valdra said. "And I wouldn't say that he considered my usefulness to be at an end. I think he aimed for more than just the planetary presidency."

"And thus, thought you would be able to continue to offer him insights into his opponents moves."

"I was tired of being his pawn, his catspaw, his?partner." She spat the last word out, indicating her disgust. It was bad enough that she was being forced to reveal things on another's timetable, but being forced to go into detail was, in some ways, worse. She realized that unless she could sway the ambassador now, she'd be in danger of tripping over her own lies. "I felt as though what I was doing was deceitful, that it was somehow working around the will of the people. I felt Jaraana was more concerned with staying in office than in doing what was right."

"Are you telling me that Vega isn't ready for Federation membership?" Yunis asked. "Everything we've seen suggests that the technology and social requirements have been met?"

"I can't make that judgment, Mister Ambassador," Valdra said. "I simply know that I can't be part of this anymore."

"Then you are withdrawing your request for asylum?" Yunis said.

"Ambassador!" Sam said, stopping so suddenly that the other two had taken a few steps forward before realizing he was no longer behind them.

"The lady says that she no longer wishes to be a pawn," Yunis said. "If we grant her request, or deny it, Jaraana will be able to continue to use her, even if he doesn't possess her. Only by formally withdrawing her request can she be fre

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Awww....no Jedi this time, but good chapter. What is Valdra up to? [face_thinking]

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes Valdra and Jim Kirk? Action next chapter[face_thinking]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome post and i believe that's correct; Valdra doesn't know :p

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, interesting post here! You definitely got my mind whirling, and I can't wait to see what happens next. :D

=D=

~MJ @};-

13. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    obimom: Sorry for the lack of Jedi in the previous post, and I'll warn you right now that there aren't any in this one either. We will, however, see how Kirk got to where he was...

earlybird: Actually, there are probably a couple of posts before the action really ramps up. But it's coming, don;t you worry.

Jade_eyes: Methinks you're right...

Mira_Jade: Glad you liked it, and glad that you've had the patience to wait me out...

Let me apologize for taking so long to get this post up. I've been distracted by other things, such as Tom Clancy's newest novel, Denning's Vortex, and few other things. But the next installment is now ready, and I'm working on the post to follow...

Kirk pushed his way into the hotel lobby, fighting the crowd of tourists and hotel employees doing all they could to get out. One of these days, I'm going to try going in the back way, Kirk thought. He passed a plant that had been tipped over, and noticed that the piano had been shifted out of place. This is just one more reason why it's important not to induce panic. Of course, a body slamming into a garbage bin isn't something that most designers or managers think about. He crossed the lobby, then vaulted over the counter to access the computer.

"C'mon," he muttered as he waited for the screen to load a list of the guests. He didn't think the ambassador would have registered under his own name, but people have a tendency to use variations of names, and Jim was looking for something that would shout "Andorian" at him. He scanned the list, but found himself with no further plan than when he had entered. "Maybe Bones was right," he mused aloud. "Guess I'll just have to make my way up the floors, and hope they're not heading down."

Kirk walked 'round the desk, and headed for the elevators. "Somebody just jumped out a window," a Vegan said as she rushed past. "The elevator system is down." Great, Jim thought. That means the stairs. He raced down one of the hotel's corridors, headed for the stairs that should be at the end of the hall. He nearly barreled into a surprised man, who shouted at him to watched where he was going.

"Sorry!" Kirk called as he continued his rush down the hall. He skidded to a stop, reaching out, grasping the handle of the door, and throwing it open. He then raced up the steps, taking them two at a time. He burst through the door, quickly scanning the empty hall. Then, he ducked back through the door, and ascended to the next level. As with the previous one, this too was empty. "They're not going to be heading up," he mused. "And they're not going to be heading down, at least, not through any normal route." He ran a hand through his hair. When he'd come in, it seemed simple: Find the ambassador and get him out. "I suppose I'll just have to keep working my way up." He headed up the next flight of stairs, and thought he heard voices. Maybe luck was turning his way. He opened the door, and saw a group of three people: one human, one Andorian, and one Vegan. He heard the Andorian ask the Vegan woman if "this was what she wanted."

"To be honest, Mister Ambassador, I don?t think she knows what she wants. But now isn't the time, or the place for such discussions."

"Who are you?" Ambassador Yunis asked.

"James Kirk, captain of the Enterprise. I've come to get you out of here."

"He's lying," Valdra said. "The president ordered his defense forces not to allow anyone from the Federation onto Vega. If he's here, then he's arranged to work with Jaraana."

"I'm a little tired, and the police aren't going to be far behind me," Kirk said. "I got help on the way, people who can find out just what's really going on here."

"What do you mean, really going on here?" Yunis asked.

"Mister Ambassador, someone has been manipulating events here to serve his or her own ends. I'm not certain what the overall objective is, but until I am, I don?t want to let the major players out of my sight."

"And what if we don?t believe you?" Valdra asked. "Are you going to take u

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see a new update with Kirk taking action (as usual);)

15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Uh-oh...I don't think Kirk wants to tangle with her too much...he really doesn't know who (or what) he's dealing with here...I'm sure Qui-Gon will be able to enlighten him....right? Would she know about shielding, so the Jedi will be able to easily pick up on her? Hmmm[face_thinking]

Thanks for the update...looking forward to the next one.

16. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: Yup, that's our Jim, act first, think later.

obimom: Qui-Gon certainly will be able to enlighten Jim on just who he's dealing with here, when he gets there. Question is, will it be in time?

Okay, here come Qui-Gon and Tholme.

Qui-Gon and Tholme were just exited the kitchens when Qui-Gon stopped, feeling a cold shiver run down his spine. He looked at his companion, and saw in the other's face that he hadn't been the only one to feel it. "Our Padawans likely felt it as well," Tholme said.

"The Dark Side," Qui-Gon said, even now recalling what had happened the last time he'd crossed blades with one who'd fallen to the Force's shadow. That time it had been Obi-Wan at his side, and Qui-Gon's first apprentice, Xanatos, who'd been opposing them. At least this time, their opponent wouldn't be as familiar with those who had come to show him the error of his ways. "We'll need to move more quickly. If this Dark warrior gets a hold of the ambassador, things will turn from bad to worse."

The two Jedi Masters made their way through the deserted corridors leading from the kitchens to the service elevators, took those up two levels, then exited, Qui-Gon reaching out in the Force to try and sense their quarry. "Whoever it is, they're good at shutting themselves down."

"I felt it too," Tholme said. "It was almost as if this Force-user could sense us reaching out, and shifted his or her focus to something?"

"Or someone else," Qui-Gon finished. "You don?t suppose that the ambassador might have already been taken?"

"I think we have to consider it," Tholme said. "It's also possible that our Dark Sider may be after Captain Kirk."

"I wouldn't think the Captain an easy prey, if I hadn't seen with my own eyes what the Dark Side can do, even to a strong-willed person," Qui-Gon said. "No matter how we look at it, we're running out of time."

"We can search more quickly by splitting up," Thole suggested. "But doing so would make us more vulnerable."

"You know, there was a time I would have argued with you about whether a Jedi is ever truly vulnerable. But after what happened with Xanatos, I have to admit that even the strongest of us is susceptible to the Dark Side."

"Now is not the time for doubts, Qui-Gon," Thole said. "If we doubt ourselves, we've lost already."

Qui-Gon paused, considering his fellow Master's words. "You're right, of course," he finally said. "I suppose I allowed my past to have a little too much hold over me."

"Yoda would say that once you've been touched by the Dark Side, it will follow you forever," Tholme said. "I think it's only when you forget what the Dark Side is capable of that you are completely lost. You, me, the Dark Woman, we've all been touched in some way by the Dark Side. And it has taught as that we must always watch."

"Is that what you've taught Quinlan?" Qui-Gon asked. "To be mindful of the Dark Side's temptations?"

"Quinlan is a particularly unique case. Unlike most Padawans, he knew his parents. Their loss has created a darkness within that Quin fights every day. But we'll have to table that subject for another time."

"Right," Qui-Gon said. "We have a job to do."

That's all for now, I'm afraid. The climax is coming, but I want to make sure I get it right, so it might be a bit before I'm able to post it.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks for the crumb...now may I have the whole cookie? :p

What will the Jedi find when they finally find Captain Kirk with the mysterious dark user? Hmmm..

You keep tantalizing me with these little bits and leaving me wishing I could just jump on the table and grab the main course...update soon if you can...k?[face_batting]

=D=

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice update revealing more about Quinlan,the dark side and Tholme and Qui-Gon's musings

19. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    obimom: How 'bout I give you half the cookie? Here's the first part of the main course you mentioned - I hope it's been worth the wait!

earlybird: Glad you liked it.

Okay, it's time to begin the showdown between the Jedi and our Dark Force user, whose identity should be plain by now.

She felt them before she saw them, a presence that seemed to press down around her, almost the way a warm blanket seemed to provide a cocoon of protection. That wasn't, however, what Valdra wanted right now. I need my anger, she thought, fighting to drive away the warm, protected feeling. I need to remember what's been done to me. I need to remember how I've been wronged.

"Captain Kirk, step away from that woman," one of the two newcomers said. He was tall, powerfully built, with long hair and beard that looked like it was still coming in. "She's the one that we've been sensing."

"I knew it," Valdra said, stepping away from Kirk, and almost cowering behind Sam. "They've come from Jaraana."

"No, they're okay," Kirk said, blatantly ignoring the warning. "They came with me."

"Then it's like I said," Valdra said. "He's in league with the president. How else could he have gotten through the blockade? I told you that Jaraana's reach was further than you realized."

"I don?t think you actually said that," Sam said. "But you certainly warned us to be careful." He turned to Kirk. "I'm going to have to ask for your weapon, sir."

"And I'm going to have to refuse," Kirk said. "I'm not with the government. If they come after us, which they're going to sooner rather than later, they're going to be predisposed to shoot first and ask questions either later or never."

"He's lying to save his own skin," Valdra said. "As soon as we get clear, he was going to turn us over to the police."

"He wasn't going to do anything of the kind," Qui-Gon said to the ambassadorial aide, who was even now moving to position himself even more between Valdra and Kirk. "And you," he looked at Valdra, as if the aide weren't even there, "have been playing this game for far too long. But even now, it's not too late. We can help you."

"Help me?" Valdra said, biting off a harsh laugh. "He wants to help me!" She shook her head. "You don't know anything about me, so how in the world are you supposed to have any idea what kind of help I would need, even if I were predisposed to accept your assistance. Besides," she said, taking hold of Sam's arm and batting her eyes coquettishly, "I have all the help I need for the moment right here."

"And when you grow tired of him?" Tholme asked. "What are you planning on doing then?"

"What do you mean, when she grows tired of me?" Sam asked, confusion evident in his voice.

"My dear boy, she's using you to achieve her dreams of power," Tholme said, "just as she's used every other man she's come across."

"And why shouldn't I?" Valdra said. "If men are willing to be used, then why shouldn't I take every gift that I've been given." Recognizing the look on Sam's face, or perhaps sensing his shock the same way the Jedi did, Valdra turned to her 'protector.' "Don't look so stunned. Did you really think I was going to fall for some aide? No, thank you. I'll select my own consort, when I've achieved my ultimate goal."

"You're mad," Yunis said.

"Not mad," Qui-Gon said, "just driven by a hunger for conquest. A hunger that is born of the Dark Side, nursed in fear, driven by jealousy, and creator of suffering. It's not her fault, but she needs to accept that she has a problem if we're to help her."

"You make it sound like she's an addict," Kirk said.

"And so she is," Tholme said. "She's as addicted to power as any glitbiter is to spice. But we've seen others exposed to the Dark Side, and she's still young enough to return, if she's willing."

"You think me mad, but you're the ones who deny your own feelings," she shot back at the Jedi. She then turned to Kirk. "I'm sure they told you all about the touchy-feely philosophy they must believe in, but this is all about contro

20. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    yeah, lets dance! [face_dancing]

Is there a window in that door so Kirk can watch?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    hahha! great points scored by tholme and qui-gon. :D :)

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes? For Kirk it will be nice to see Jedi in action.

Nice update=D=

23. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    obimom: Unfortunately, there isn't a window for Kirk to watch through.

Jade_eyes: And points that needed to be made.

earlybird: Maybe, maybe not.

Okay, here goes!

"It doesn't have to be this way," Qui-Gon said, determined to make one last effort to save this young woman.

"I'm afraid it does," Valdra said. "You want to stop me, and that's something that I simply can't allow. Not if I want to reach my full potential." She reached for her power, and focused on Qui-Gon. "You do want me to reach my full potential, don?t you?"

"Not if it means leaving a galaxy enslaved," Qui-Gon said. He drew his lightsaber, and ignited it. "I offer you one last chance to renounce the Dark Side."

"You and I both know that's not going to happen," she said, leveling the phaser at Qui-Gon. She pulled the trigger twice in rapid succession, loosing a pair of energy bursts that Qui-Gon easily deflected. "An interesting weapon," Valdra said. "I presume that this is the part where you tell me that I have no hope of success, and that it would be in my best interests to surrender?"

"You took the words from my mouth," Tholme said.

"There need not be any blood shed today," Qui-Gon added, raising his voice slightly over the humming lightsaber blade.

"That's where you're wrong. We can't both walk away from this alive and whole. So either you're going to be going down, or I am." She reached inside herself summoning her anger, her hatred. Then she pushed it out like a wave ahead of her, and saw her two opponents stagger backward. "I'm thinking it's going to be you."

"She's more powerful than we thought, Qui-Gon," the darker-haired one said. "But I think she's relatively untrained. She has all the ferocity of a Tatooine sandstorm, but as much control."

"And that is why she'll fail, Tholme," the one called Qui-Gon replied as the other, Tholme, drew his own weapon and ignited it.

"You have your weapons, but mine is obviously useless against you," Valdra said, slipping the phaser into her belt. "It seems a little unfair, doesn't it?"

"You're trying to play us," Tholme said. "It's not going to work." Even now, he could feel her pulling on the Force, trying to sap his will to fight her. She may not be formally trained, but she knew how to use her abilities. This woman was dangerous, far more so than they'd originally suspected.

"You don?t want to fight me," she said, her voice taking on an almost musical quality. Tholme looked at Qui-Gon, saw resolution in his friend's face.

"We can't let you loose," Qui-Gon said, and Tholme realized that she must have her full attention focused on him, leaving Qui-Gin free to act. Qui-Gon did the only thing he could, he advanced on Valdra. "Surrender now, or you'll force me to kill you."

"Tholme wouldn't do that," she said. "And wouldn't it be an act of evil to cut down an unarmed woman."

"One who uses the Dark Side is never unarmed," Qui-Gon said, shutting his lightsaber down. "I could throw this weapon away, and I wouldn't be defenseless."

"Then do so, and this will be a far more even fight," Valdra said. "That is what your code would demand, isn't it?"

"You know nothing of our code," Qui-Gon said. "And I would suggest that you stop trying to play with my friend's mind." So, Tholme realized, Qui-Gon had felt it. Good, maybe his revelation of that to this woman would be the touch needed to make her realize that her fight was hopeless.

"But you see, I'm afraid I can't," she said. "I'm having too much fun. And Tholme's realizing that he enjoys it too." Qui-Gon turned to his friend, and at that moment, Valdra struck. She slammed into him from behind, driving him forward into Tholme, whose lightsaber went skittering down the hall. "Now things are a little more even," Valdra said, rising, the phaser back in her hand. "I'll take your weapon, Qui-Gon," she said, even as she used her hate to leash Tholme's saber and bring it towards her. "Or if you'd prefer, I can use this to cut you both down, and send you to whatever afterlife you be

24. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Ahh...Verrryyy interesting.

A Jedi using a blaster to stop a dark side user...and she seems to know more about the Jedi that she lets on...is she from their galaxy by any chance? Or just figuring it out as she goes.

Interesting stuff.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice to see the interacting between Qui, Tholme and Valdra

But the Jedi win and with a phaser[face_dancing]