main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Dark, Light, Grey, choices with Challanges?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Likewater, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The Choices in bio-ware games can send one down some interesting paths but you usually have to play to one extreme or another.

Light you play a saint dark you play satan, and center is just plain apathy, this is not what I hope TOR turns out to be.
    From what was shown at E3 2010 the dark side has some interesting choices, but for someone who is interested in the Republic side will I often wonder will I have to chose between the ridiculously saintly and stupid-evil/borderline repulsive choices.
    I realize in the ?Designing the Lightside? it was stated was Luke type Jedi, and Darker avenging Anakin type.

But On the other hand remember Jade Empire, the choices were often either Kicking puppies or saint? In Mass Effect (Especially ME 2) Renegade is suppose to be ?I did what I had to do? but how many often Renegade simply translates to ?Total Douche? and being a centrist character locks you out of a lot of charm, or even choice options.

How surprising was it to some Player in Dragon Age: Origins, Bhalin while a manipulative, merciless tyrant turns out to be the better king for Orzemar than the ?Obvious? light-side/ gentle Lord Harromond?

Will there be any rewards or surprises for someone who wants a more Balanced path. Who wishes to met out darkside and lightside actions according to situation. Where cause, effect, reasoning, and end goals all are meaningful in the choice?

Rather than [Top Dialogue option], [Top Dialogue option], [Top Dialogue option], [Top Dialogue option].

2. Alpha_02

Alpha_02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    It's nice to have the option at all in an MMO to begin with, but yes they can only give you so many options. Once you have 3 moderate options, a good and a bad, well if they were to add more dimensions to that they'd never finish writing and voice acting :p

I hope some of the options will be a little more than a) Kill him b) Let him go, but I can see that in some situations it is likely to come down to that. It'll be interesting to see the effects these choices have on the companion characters, in the normal games they might get annoyed with you, but they still follow you pretty much regardless (there are rare times like recruiting Logain, but generally few), whereas they have said they may abandon you if you go against their opinions/wishes enough times.

It should give a whole new depth to the character you are playing to even have the option to make these choices, even if they are fairly simplistic at times and if done well it should provide a far more immersive MMO experience.

I'm imaging things like Anakin's decision to kill Dooku, justifiable perhaps, but hardly the good saintly option even given the circumstances. It's not so easy to imagine Sith that way though, there aren't too many examples of moderate acts by Sith :p

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that they're going to have to have a HUGE grey area in between. Firstly, it's an online game with thousands of other people. You can't have 5,000 Palpatines playing at one time, or participating in quests everywhere. Just makes for poor gameplay. I think most of the time, solo players tend to go for extremes when playing those choice-based rpgs. But on the internet it would be different - you're kind of responsible for your character more, and how other real life people perceive your character. Most players will probably be far more tempted to go for the grey-area decisions. And since I don't think that the people making this game are very idiotic, they must have realized that.

4. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    You would think. Now is there more choices in your lightsaber construction?

5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Light saber cosntruction seems to revolve around class and build.

Dual wielding damage comparied to single blade Protection/tank.

Saberstaff compaired to pure force/ healing.

6. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    That makes sense and works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.