main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Matt, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    HATE this game.

The Capra Demon is a cheap-tactic using mother hubbard.

When I get home from work I have maybe an hour to get a bit of gaming in before I need to eat and say Hi to my other half.

Each day this week I've been trying to defeat the Capra demon and I only beat the git last night, thank God. That's 3 hours of gameplay trying to defeat one goat-headed freak with a couple of pet chihuahuas. COD's single player campaign probably doesn't last as long as that!

When I say 'HATE' it's more that I hate not being very good, and it's an unforgiving game, so I've come here to wallow in a bit of self pity with whoever else plays this game.

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I had a couple of weeks where I was playing this a lot, but then Arkham City came out and I haven't really felt like going back to it yet.

I will though, eventually...

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I've been playing this a lot over the past couple weeks, and I've got to say, the learning curve is very steep. I think I've died more than 200 times so far. But I am making a lot of progress. I'm currently trying to figure out how to kill Seath, and he is the most difficult boss I've had to fight in a long time. And the really annoying thing is the closest bonfire is pretty far away from him.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't have the stones to try this game.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Dark Souls is as close to perfect a video game I've ever played.

This is just one of the reasons why.

I love it. Love it, love it, love it. NG+, especially.

Marcus: Don't worry about stones. All you need is persistence. The game will forge you into someone capable of beating it.

But prepare to die. A lot.

6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The game is very unforgiving, but if you're persistent and relentless, you'll forge your way through. Eventually you'll look back on the early areas of the game and think "I really had trouble with this area?"

7. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    i made the mistake of listening to one of the messages left for me after leaving the asylum. right by the first npc, someone had left a note of "attack him." so i did, and i spent the next thirty minutes trying to get away so i could attempt to take him down. i deleted that character and started a new one after that.

8. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Many player messages are pointless, so I rarely pay attention to them. However, there is one area later in the game with invisible paths, and some people leave messages right in the middle of those paths to help mark the way.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah there are occasionaly some very handy hints from helpful players. I managed to find a hidden bonfire behind a destructable wall because of a hint scroll, which was very handy. It made facing the Moonlight Butterfly a much less daunting task.

I've rage quit on Dark Souls for a little while. I'm currently stuck on a boss and there was a guy camping in the room just before it constantly invading my world, which was just plain annoying. I can't stress how much I love Dark Souls though. I'd love to at some point finally make it all the way through the game. It's just really well crafted. I enjoy it just as much, if not a little more than Skyrim.

10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Heh, that may have been my message in front of that wall. But not everyone's messages all show up at the same time, so it could have been any number of players'.

If you don't want to be invaded, don't be human. Hollows can't be invaded.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    That hidden campfire near the moonlight butterfly is awesomely placed for farming souls, I'm not ashamed that I farmed hundreds of thousands of souls in that area.

The issue I have is that if I didn't have Google / Youtube available I wouldn't have been able to get that far, and would not have realised how vital it is to have pyromancy.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I've never bothered with magic. I'm straight-up melee. I just charge into a fight with my shield held up, block/dodge attacks, get in a few strikes of my own, then back off and let my stamina bar recharge.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    How far in are you? I tried that without much success

14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I've beaten the game, and I'm about a third of the way through New Game+ now.