main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Sidious and his Sith lightsaber

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Terpmaniac09, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Vader

Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    can someone give me a link for the action figure palpy w/ a blue saber?

2. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    Not found the toy pic yet, but there may be an answer to your question herein a post by GeneralDooku.

I'm working on the other picture of Anakin and Palpatine with Anakin's sabre...

3. Jedi_Master_Vader

Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    thanks for the link, guess I might go across the street to Kohls

4. BlanchTheEwok

BlanchTheEwok Jedi Master

Apr 10, 2005
    Now I don't know if this has been asked already, but I'll go ahead and give it a shot...

was Sidious the former Jedi who ordered the Clone Troopers? If so, it would make perfect sense if he did, because they would automatically take his side when the Emperor and the Empire rose to power. Is this true or not?

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    No, that was still Master Sifo-Dyas, who was slain by Dooku *after* he'd ordered the clones following the events of The Phantom Menace (per Labyrinth of Evil). Sidious decreed that the Sith would make good use of the clone army, thus the order was allowed to stand.

6. BlanchTheEwok

Apr 10, 2005
    Ah, ok. These events took place in a EU book I'd imagine?

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Right, James Luceno's Labyrinth of Evil, but all of the book's answers on Sifo-Dyas came straight from Lucas himself.

The novel leads straight into the opening moments of the film.

8. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    was Sidious the former Jedi who ordered the Clone Troopers?

Also, your answer is in the AOTC Text Commentary. To see that, you need to watch your AOTC DVD in your DVD-ROM. What it says there is that Sifo-Dyas was once a Jedi Master that was killed. Pablo has also made it clear that Sifo-Dyas is Sifo-Dyas and he was killed.

9. BlanchTheEwok

Apr 10, 2005
    Will do. Thanks. And I'll try to check out that book as well.

10. DarthTrump

DarthTrump Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    The Biggest Differance Between Jedi Lightsabers and Sith Lightsabers, are that The Jedi ues Naturaly formed crystals for their Blades and The Sith use Synthetic Cyrstals that produce a stronger Blade then The Jedi Sabers

11. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Where does it sat that sith use synthetic crystals? Maybe they use the same blue and green crystals the Jedi use but distort the wavelength to obtain the red color.

12. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Need proof of that info too.

13. lordvicious

lordvicious Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    The crystal difference between Jedi and Sith lightsabers is covered a bit in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Darth Maul has a flashback to making his saber, and he took a much more hands on approach in shaping the crystal than just "leaving it in the oven" like most Jedi.

14. Flashlight_Duelist

Flashlight_Duelist Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Did anyone else feel the lightsabers (Anakin's and Obi-Wan's, in particular) were a little longer in Revenge of the Sith compared to all the other movies? They looked longer to me the moment Obi-Wan and Anakin first fired them up to take out the droids in the beginning of the movie.

This doesn't apply to Yoda's lightsaber, which is short as usual. I'm not really sure if Palpatine and Mace had long lightsabers or not.

15. Yodaman_Elitest

Yodaman_Elitest Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    i didn't really see a difference in length, but i sure liked their hilts.

16. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    The sith do indeed get the red color from synthetic crystals. Jedi's are natural and not quite as strong. Check out the visual dictionary or just search lightsaber on starwars.com Vader makes his new lightsaber from a synthetic crystal give to him from Sidious.

17. Flashlight_Duelist

May 23, 2005
    I thought I noticed an increase in length from the first moment I saw one fired up in this movie. Now I've seen the movie 3 times total, and so I had time to stare at the lightsaber blades more carefully. They are shaped differently than all the other movies.

Actually the lightsaber blades may have always changed a bit with some of the movies, I'm not sure which. In A New Hope they were really weird and inconsistent. Not sure about between Empire Strikes Back to Attack of the Clones. I went to study AoTC lightsaber blades to compare with RoTS and there are some big differences.

In RoTS the lightsaber blades are not cylindrical, but they are slightly spear-shaped/conical. They get thinner near the tip, and fatter near the base. This may have been true for AoTC too but the effect is more pronounced in RoTS. Also, in RoTS the lightsaber blades have very noticeable tips. Pointy tips, like the tip of a sword, where the geometry narrows more rapidly.

Length-wise I can't tell for sure unless I actually measured side-by-side somehow, like after the DVD version comes out. But chances are the lightsabers are indeed slightly longer as well, given all the other changes in RoTS. Or it could be an optical illusion caused by the new spear-shape. Or it could be that they are originally the same length, but the new "tips" increase the length.

18. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    I was going to make a topic about this but since there already is a Palpatine - Lightsaber topic I'll post this now. I have seen ROTS two times now and despite some minor plot holes it was a very good film. What I found funny was that Sidious/Palpatine always takes his lighsaber out from the sleeve of his robe. I was wondering where does he keep it ? Glued to his armpit ? Or does it magically appear ? I dunno... just kinda weird. XD

19. godzawor

godzawor Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2002
    well wherever he keeps it, he seems to have a supply. He lost one out the window from mace, but had another one ready to go when yoda showed up.

-gdz

20. Flashlight_Duelist

May 23, 2005
    There are plenty of ways to attach the lightsaber to your arm. It's not an issue. Any kind of strap or whatever will do. Same as strapping it to your belt or leg.

I also assume that Jedi have plenty of extra lightsabers. In AoTC they had extra to give to Obi-Wan and Anakin. I would be surprised if Emperor did not have at least 1 or more spare lightsabers.

Only in Luke's case was running out of lightsabers be a potential issue. Because he was alone and he had to make his own. And he only had his first one as a present.

21. electrobc1

electrobc1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    You know it's possible that Palpatine was able to recover the lightsaber he dropped out of the window. Maybe the one he used to fight Yoda is the same one he used with Mace.

Lightsabers seem pretty resilient, I don't doubt they could handle a long fall.

22. forceonline

forceonline Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2003
    When you look at Palpatine's lightsaber during the Mace duel, the saber he uses is different from the small hilted one we saw during the webdocs. The saber he uses fighting Mace is larger and resembles the one of Darth Vader.

23. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually the saber was exactly the same in both fights it was said on the lightsaber.com that he lost the first one out the window in the mace fight but always carrys a identical back up - makes sense.

24. Cloudreaper

Cloudreaper Jedi Master star 2

Mar 2, 1999
    I see no problem with the 'up the sleeve' holstering. There's a thousand ways one can attach it. If one can use the Force to free it, you can have an manner of holster there.

I love the fact that he keeps it up his sleep and drops it straight into his hand. Back in pre-TPM days, a bunch of us were discussing what we were calling 'Jedi-jutsu' at the time and one thing we talked about is why Jedi are stuck with a traditional 'if your sword had a physical blade' cross draw. If they kept the lightsaber on their dominant side, they could simply use the Force to unlatch it and have it go right to their hand instead of crossing over to unlatch it manually as we wound up seeing. Having Sideous do this is great to see and shows how the Sith might be much more innovative over their overly traditional opponents.

25. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Just because you never see it doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Think of Yoda, he hides his saber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.