main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    So, I could buy the Rubies costume and make mods...[face_thinking]
    That sounds more feasable than starting from sratch, though no less expensive
    It was what I was planning to do, but your poor reviews of the suit put me off!
    But as long as I mod the chest plate, belt boxes (and possibly belt) and shoulder armour
    it should be fine. Could buy new cloak and shoulder armour from fenixprops...
    Will have trouble getting hold of a nice helmet though... I'd rather die that wear the cheap Rubies thing and I wouldn't know how to start on moding it.

Vaderfan- your costume looks amazing, I won't give up yet!! One day, I'll be Darth Vader too, one day...

Emergency!!
    Need your help- this looks like a Don Post helemt but I'm not entirly sure- Can someone else have a look and confirm?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Darth-Vader-Helmet_W0QQitemZ300298402330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH?hash=item300298402330&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318]
    What do you think?

2. martinh65

martinh65 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2006
    Yeah that is a DP helmet or one of the Rubies repops from the new century. One of their later releases after they had removed the molded tusks and made that area flat with chrome stickers for tusks. Too small of a mask except for kids. Not even a decent collectible in my opinion.

As far as the Rubies costume goes, it really isn't that bad. I have an XL body-suit from the costume that I can trade with someone for some sort of Vader goodness.

3. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
  4. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2006
    Here is a reference shot. It is indeed child sized.

[image=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/csmaclaren/Vader/Don%20Post%20Standard/DSC01253.jpg]

[image=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/csmaclaren/Vader/Don%20Post%20Standard/DSC01249.jpg]

I believe the Hasbro Voice Changer helmet is based off of the same molds as the Don Post Standard, but refined and made more symmetrical. Their sizes are identical. So if you need a size reference, refer to the Hasbro VC. The Hasbro's eye inner eyelids are cut out more, and the neck has been considerably shortened.

[image=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/csmaclaren/Vader/Don%20Post%20Standard/dps_comp_5.jpg]

5. ashgad

ashgad Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2006
    Thought I'd drop in and shout out to keep this thread alive...

-Ashgad

6. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    hey guys, im currently workin with a double preamp board im wiring up in a small project box. i got it done and it works, but i have to redo both panel jacks, i gottem a lil too hot when solderin and messed them up a lil bit inside.

it makes a huge diff in volume on the twin jbls too, noticeably louder than without it.

7. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    Hi. New to the forum. I've been doing some research on the DV cod piece. I saw a Sith Armor one on EBay. Was wondering if anyone else has one of those? I have a 32 inch waist do you think it will be okay? Thanks.

8. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    SA cod is a bit thick i have one, i used it till i found the rots cod from fenixprops, which is lucas alverez's ebay account. you would be better off chekin out Fenixprops stuff, he has a couple different cod styles i think. and theyre made from leather too.

9. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    thanks so much for the info.i checked them out they look good.is the center part look to wide to you thanks.

10. martinh65

martinh65 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2006
    I too have a SA cod and it is indeed too thick. It made my inner robe flare out when I wore it. I am now gonna have to get another one, when I can afford it.

11. silversun913

silversun913 Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I got the modfication bug - my master replica helmet doesn't fit me as well as I'd like. The problem is that my head and neck are too long for the lid and it sits too high off my shoulders - roughly 2.5 inches.

I'm thinking something can be done with the cylindrical padding inside the top of the mask, but am hesitant to mess with it. Any ideas?

Harry

12. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    that covers the magnet area on top of mask, you might remove it and go with slimmer padding, but as heavy as that lid is, you may wish you hadnt.

13. silversun913

Jan 18, 2008
    The padding around the forehead may be snug enough to compensate for taking a couple inches off that cylinder. Do you know of anyone who has made a mod like this?

14. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    nope sure dont

15. silversun913

Jan 18, 2008
    Some times it's a pain being tall.

Thanks nonetheless.

16. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    luckily for me, i guess haydens head and mine are close to same as mine fits like a glove.

17. silversun913

Jan 18, 2008
    I'm wondering if I could do somthing with the shoulder armor rather than mess with the helmet. Adding some padding so the space from the shoulders to the mask isn't so far apart.

18. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    thats a option

19. seduced

seduced Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    Silver,

I too have a tall neck and I would definately bring your armor up rather than mess with your MR. Just run some padding underneath your armor until you achieve the desired look and it will also create more clearance for the neck flare. It worked for me:

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_0594.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/edited7.jpg]

20. silversun913

Jan 18, 2008
    Ahh...Thanks - Seduced! Looking at your pics it appears as though this is the exact mod I need.

Harry

21. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    Cool. Let us know how it turns out for you. The foam in the pic is cut from 1" foam squares that Walmart sells.

22. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I am sure it has been mentioned, but I can't stress it enough... go to the Sith Lords Detachment of the 501st. They will have all the ins and outs for Vader costuming. Since they are in the business of screen accuracy, they won't steer you wrong.

- Bill

23. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    Most of us seasoned Vaders already post our info on the SLD but we don't mind double- posting here just to help out.

24. silversun913

Jan 18, 2008
    Worked like a charm - I used 2 strips of foam rubber padding with a adhesive on one side that I got from Home Depot. It was only about a 1/2 inch thick so I used 2 layers. It bumped the shoulder armor just enough so the helmet doesn't float rediculously high above it.

Thanks again, Seduced

PS I've never been to the other boards but I'll definitly chack them out. Thanks for the advice.

25. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    Outstanding! Glad it worked out for you.