main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You're not paying attention.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Adas reigned in 27,000 BBY while DOTJ takes place in 25,000 BBY, yet the Red Sith that we see in the comic are descended from Reds who were brought there by the Tho Yor at least 3000 years before the reign of Adas, IIRC.

JoinTheSchwarz and Esg like this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    DotJ's current timeframe is closer to 26,000 BBY.

Adas united Korriban circa 28,000 BBY and died in 27,700 BBY (at least so says the Wook).

4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Why did Knight Errant end? I thought there was going to be a big push with that, considering that there were new entries across two different mediums.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

Well, no, as he came along much later :p

Jokes aside, I think it was as simple as poor sales numbers sadly. :(

(Admittedly, with how many people have switched back from individual issues to trades, it actually makes me wonder how many series are getting prematurely axed before the trades have even really had enough time to get established, as while I know my own purchasing isn't necessarily representative of everyone else, I don't buy trades the second they come out like I did individual issues, so my trade sale wouldn't be counted in their calculations. Or do most people buy them right away?)

6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Fantasy Flight Games are making the RPG now and I think they have a beta for it out soon or is out but I think it will be a long time before we get to see say a Dawn of the Jedi Campaign Guide or anything like that. If anything, Fantasy Flight Games might just focus on the movies for now.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But the Red Sith were brought to Tython around 37,000 BBY.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So.... what? [face_dunno]

I was just quibbling on RC's dates, not the general point that Adas reigned long after the ancestors of the DotJ Sith were extracted.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We know that the timeline goes: Tho Yor > Adas > DOTJ's present. I was pointing out that Stradley said it's an established fact that the exiles corrupted the Red Sith even though everything I've read says that the Red Sith were already darksiders when the Exiles arrived.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Speaking of dates...

If John, Jan, or Randy is reading this: Why is the comic still asserting "The events of this story take place approximately 36,000 years before the Battle of Yavin" ? Everything from the second half of Issue 1 onward has taken place ten thousand years later than that. Is it a mistake, or is it more that you haven't decided how long before the Force Wars we are yet?

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Last time this got discussed I think the general consensus was that while the Sith were already dark, it was just in a natural tribal native kind of way, with their civilisation perfectly content with it, in a primitively 'stable' kind of way, happy to sacrifice their first borns if it kept their clan at the top of the food chain, blah, blah, blah.

So they were already dark... but just happy to be dark on their own little dark world with no interest to spread their darkness. Then the Exiles showed up and brought with them the desire for ABSOLUTE POWER!!! REEEEVENNNNNNGGGEEE!!!!!

So it's more just a matter of perspective, really. The Red Sith seemed pretty isolationist after their Rakata encounter.

Cronal likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    So they were like Ludo Kressh before the Exiles showed up?

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Great, meaty issue! Ostrander is able to say so much in so few panels. And his transitions from story to story are so smooth. I always marvel at what he and Jan are able to fit into 24 pages.

Was really happy to see a Noghri Je'daii.

It's funny that Rajivari is among the first proper Jedi as I noticed while reading that he was the only character who actually dressed like a Jedi.

I like how the Je'daii just leave Lok and Xesh to sit and plan. No supervision or anything. How could it go wrong? Yoda could take some comfort in the knowledge that the Jedi council never get it right in any era.

This issue made me fear Disney. How many arcs of this comic will we get?? I'm guessing 2.:(

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Random question, but why don't we sticky new releases anymore?

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Great issue, although a bit too much recap at the begining, but I guess that was unavoidable with the break between arcs.

And finally there is a Noghri force user. How that has never happened before is beyond me.

16. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    To be fair to the Je'daii, this is quite early in the time of their order so one could forgive them for some mistakes as everything is just... new to them. Its not like they are being negligent in watching their exiles since they do equip them with those tracer bracelets with a droid programmed to check that their charges are ok. Though perhaps they need to improve the droid intelligence... but really, in concept, its not too bad really. Dump exiles onto a moon with no other inhabitants and just make sure no ship lands. So, the prisoners are trapped without any means of escape even if they managed to fool the trackers. Practically though, there are outside elements that can break this prison process with a crashed fighter. Kind of curious now though on what Ashla looks like.

One other thing I like what John and Jan have done with the concept of DotJ is that they basically explain a TOR element with the Twi'leks. In the game, you have some pilgrims who say that Tython is their homeworld and that kind of left me scratching my head at first but with TOR... well, there are Twi'lek Tythonians so it helps explain that. At this rate, I wonder whether we might see Flesh Raiders in the near future :cool:

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm kinda hoping some Rakata get lost in the Abyss and mutate into them in the future or something.

SithStarSlayer and Cronal like this.
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I just wonder when was the last time anyone bothered to personally check on Daegen, or even just call him up and see if he's still crazy. But then they also seem somewhat... afraid of him, of what he saw, as well as what he might represent. When Ketu was talking with Rajivari and Rajivari was basically saying they had probably missed an opportunity to prepare, Ketu still seemed in denial about the whole thing. Oh well, its not like this is quite a golden age of the Jedi, more like their naive, innocent youth.

And I think there is a backstory for the Twi'lek Pilgrims you see in TOR on Tython, assuming I'm remembering the codex right. They only got there recently too, fleeing persecution, and they just happened to stumble on Tython and took it as a sign and made it their new home. The Jedi were mostly just... confused that someone else found Tython in the same decade after it had been lost for some time. The Flesh Raiders, on the other hand, I forget if we got a definite backstory for them, there were quite a few big conflicts that could have created them, and TOR has no shortage of ancient monsters. Rajivari's appearance in this issue makes me wonder, since he has his own fall (and war) coming, but the Je'daii are already going to be busy with plenty of other problems in the near future. But then most of what we hear about Rajivari is thousands of years later, so history might've been inaccurate. Unless they have really long lives too, due to living on Force-rich Tython or something like that.

19. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    I actually wonder though if perhaps some of the Tythonian Twi'leks end up going out in the galaxy and ending up on Ryloth thus leading to Tython becoming this myth that spreads about until the Twi'lek pilgrims form by TOR era and decide to follow the ancient texts to this lost world to serve as their new home. Don't know if thats a necessity but I personally kind of like the idea.

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Forgetful Lit mods, softened by the kaleidoscopic insanity and general laidbacktitude of the temp boards.

Um, we'll sticky the next releases. Harp on us if we forget again.

Summer Dreamer and Cronal like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They've been on Tython over 10,000 years and things are still new to them? o_O If anything, they've come to a similar point that Yoda's Jedi were at around the time of the prequels; they're so arrogant and set in their ways that they refuse to accept the fact that they probably should have listened to Daegen, just as they should pay attention to Shae and the others. But, seeing as it's still relatively early in their history, maybe they'll smarten up soon. Or not, considering the Force Wars are probably right around the corner.

22. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    By Yodas time though things like dark siders and Sith have been done like a dozen times already. There were the Exiles, the Sith Empire, Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, Revan, Malak, Traya, Nihilus, Sion, Sith Emperor, Malgus etc etc and etc. They certainly have seen this a lot more than the Je'daii have... at least, so far. So yeah, I think the Je'daii are still new at this :p I mean, they have been basically the supreme force in the Tython system since their arrival and in all that time they had only witnessed a powerful Force storm once which was when the Tho Yor brought them to the planet. They had never also experienced anything outside the star system as they had sent expeditions out but nothing has ever returned. And they had seen a cataclysmic vision that perhaps spelt the end of their order. Not an excuse to ignoring it perhaps but just saying that its kind of unprecedent before and they seem to be unsure on what to do about it so they think the better solution is to hide it.

Also, my impression from the reading is that they aren't arrogant about the vision. More scared perhaps or just refusing to accept the truth. But they don't seem to go 'Pah, what a stupid vision'. Whenever the vision gets mentioned, we tend to get a scene where the higher ranking Je'daii just have an uncomfortable silence almost. But, thats how I view it at this point. Might change, might see a Je'daii master being all arrogant but I didn't get that view from Ketu at least or the Noghri master.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ketu did seem arrogant, but I think the other Je'Daii Masters were simply afraid. (Ketu was all "I know the Truth... etc")

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Councils in Star Wars never get things right, right? :p

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You dare challenge the unfaultable decisions of the Hutt Grand Council? [​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.